Should I listen to the doc about stopping supplements?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Should I listen to the doc about stopping supplements?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  smurfie 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

smurfie
    Participant
    Topics: 19
    Replies: 52

I am quite upset because I went to the doctors today and they asked me to do a stool test, which is good.
    but the thing is that I have to stay off all supplements for 3 days before I take the test the next 2 days. That is 5 days with no supplements and it scares the living crap out of me!!

I am not in the best condition right now, and I have experienced once before stopping all supplements because I just about had given up and was hoping to regain some energy that way, but it was a big mistake! Once Id been off it for some time I couldn’t get back on it, I was so weak and had such huge reaction to everything that I had to stop it all together!

she said last time i took this test the didn’t find candida, they found another kind of bacteria and I started antibiotics after that, which was NOT a great idea at all, candida came back like crazy..(this was in 2010 and I haven’t been much to doctors since. After taking the antibiotics for 3 days, though (then I stopped taking it) I was able to do supplements again without any reaction)

i was hoping she would give me Nystatin this time but she didn’t cause she said that candida wasn’t found in the test I did earlier. I feel like I got all the symptoms of candida, and it really helps treating myself for that and staying on the diet but could it be something else, and should I even take the test?? I’m not sure..

I will call her tomorrow to talk about whether i really have to stop all supplements 🙁 what do you guys think? would stopping the supplements for 5 days be a big mistake?

I am hopeful that they will be able to help me further after the test, but from experience nothing too great have come out of these situations earlier, so I’m just not sure if its the right move right now..

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

What supplements do you have to stop? I wouldn’t worry whatsoever, the yeast will still survive supplements or not. You’ll rebound quickly…

As far as antibiotics thats up to you, but there are alternatives…

If you want a diagnostic test for candida, I would get the hypersensitazation test that dvjorge recommends. The stool tests can be inconclusive.

-raster

smurfie
    Participant

Well the only thing I am taking now is olive leaf extract, perilla extract (I take this cause of too much stomach acid) and probitoics.
    From my understanding I have to stop all of this.

You say not to worry, I am not sure wether to are suggesting that I don’t have to stop taking them, or wether it won’t matter that I do?
    It takes time for me to be able to get back on the dosage that I am on if I am going to stop taking them for 5 days, so I feel like its a hard thing to jump off them. I can already imagine how bad I will feel during that period.

Thanks a lot for the advise on the hypersensitazation test, I will definitely look into that!

Danny33
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 362

smurfie;57367 wrote: I am quite upset because I went to the doctors today and they asked me to do a stool test, which is good.
    but the thing is that I have to stay off all supplements for 3 days before I take the test the next 2 days. That is 5 days with no supplements and it scares the living crap out of me!!

I am not in the best condition right now, and I have experienced once before stopping all supplements because I just about had given up and was hoping to regain some energy that way, but it was a big mistake! Once Id been off it for some time I couldn’t get back on it, I was so weak and had such huge reaction to everything that I had to stop it all together!

she said last time i took this test the didn’t find candida, they found another kind of bacteria and I started antibiotics after that, which was NOT a great idea at all, candida came back like crazy..(this was in 2010 and I haven’t been much to doctors since. After taking the antibiotics for 3 days, though (then I stopped taking it) I was able to do supplements again without any reaction)

i was hoping she would give me Nystatin this time but she didn’t cause she said that candida wasn’t found in the test I did earlier. I feel like I got all the symptoms of candida, and it really helps treating myself for that and staying on the diet but could it be something else, and should I even take the test?? I’m not sure..

I will call her tomorrow to talk about whether i really have to stop all supplements 🙁 what do you guys think? would stopping the supplements for 5 days be a big mistake?

I am hopeful that they will be able to help me further after the test, but from experience nothing too great have come out of these situations earlier, so I’m just not sure if its the right move right now..

It is in your best interests to stop supplementation prior to a CDSA or stool analysis.
    If you want to receive the most accurate and conclusive stool analysis its best to cut out supplements.

Also, stool analysis is great but doesn’t always find candida.

-Dan

raster
    Participant

The doctor doesn’t want your supplements to mess up the results of the test…for instance you could be killing off all of the stuff that might show up. A few days off these supplements won’t set you back very much at all.

-raster

smurfie
    Participant

Thanks. I think the reason why I already feel very irritable now is because I already have decreased my dosage of olive leaf extract in half a few weeks ago, I would like to go back to the full dosage I was on.

I am thinking if I am going to do this I will probably start on saturday, but before I stop taking everything I would really like to increase my supplements so I don’t feel so horrible. Would that be ok? or maybe this just isn’t a good time to do it.

Also if the test isn’t good to find candida and candida is my problem, it might not be so helpful anyway?

raster
    Participant

The test is likely the only diagnostic tool covered by your insurance, and it likely will show other gut flora or bacteria that are out of balance.

I basically would do whatever you can to try to get a positive test result which would encompass feeding the yeast, so I would stop taking your supplements today and I would go off the strict diet if I were doing it personally.

Candida likely isn’t your only problem, you likely have co-infections and other gut flora that have overgrown such as strept, etc.

I wouldn’t increase the doseage because you don’t have a detox plan and the toxins recirculating in the body isn’t good for your general health.

-raster

smurfie
    Participant

I live in Norway and i have to finance this on my own, its not cheep. but I’m also not sure if we have all the tests you have in america so I’m not sure what other options I have..

I have been sick for so long, and I still feel like there is so much I don’t understand. no i suppose I don’t have a detox plan, I would love to set up one after i have done the test (if I take it), maybe someone from here could help me with that?

raster
    Participant

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst9434_Die-off-remedies-post–will-edit-more-in-time.aspx

The testing in norway is going to be different than the US and you likely will have to do whatever is available in your country. The problem with CRC (candida related complex) is there isn’t a single drug marketed to treat it other than prescription antifungals or probiotics. So you would have to convince them that you have a yeast problem and they’ll prescribe those drugs. The problem is they may or may not work..

Another route is to go to an allergist and get tested for allergies to candida. If you are allergic to candida then your body isn’t fighting it off, and you can take special candida allergy shots that essentially get you better. Not many people go this route because it likely is difficult to convince them that you are allergic to candida and most don’t know about it.

We are here to help, its a long recovery and takes a lot of experimenting if you treat it on your own.

-raster

smurfie
    Participant

Thanks for your help! I stopped taking the supplements today, and will see how that goes.
    If it gets too bad I might cheat a little bit, but I will do my best.

I previously have been taking milk thistle as mentioned in the link you posted. I stopped because I have a sensitive stomach which made it worse at times, but I think maybe this is what I have been lacking which is why I have felt so bad lately.

I will mention the test for allergies to candida to my doctor to see if that is a possibility also.
    I really look forward to get started back on everything again, and hope this test will be helpful somehow!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Should I listen to the doc about stopping supplements?’ is closed to new replies.