Severe fungal form not responding to treatment, but spreading.

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Severe fungal form not responding to treatment, but spreading.

This topic contains 17 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  ThomasJoel2 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Jaytee
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 4

Hi,

I’ve tried the search facility but can’t find exactly what I’m looking for by way of information/advice, so I hope there’s someone here who can help.

Had all my amalgam dental fillings removed and replaced late last year after mercury toxicity diagnosis, (over thirty symptoms) and have been working to eliminate all that from my system through chelation and immune system support. I’ve had a small area of fungal infection on and off for several years but it always stayed within manageable bounds (small patch never exceeding around 5cms across)

Since then, the vivid red fungal infection’s flared up horribly, migrated to many other areas of my body and become significantly more painful, weepy, scaly and offensive.

Doctors have not proved to be of any help whatsoever. Prescribing creams/ointments/powders etc – treating merely the symptoms and not addressing the cause/s. It doesn’t help that I live in France and the subtleties of medical language and different attitudes is an issue and very stressful.

I’ve therefore researched extensively, and now know much more than I did previously and have been taking many recommended sensible and practical steps to help myself – reducing stress as far as possible and eating the right diet being top of the list, the right supplements by way of system support, along with practical things like keeping areas as dry as possible, clean towels/clothes, etc etc etc etc.

Nothing is working. Each week brings a new sore twinge somewhere and I realise it’s located anew. The inevitable Catch-22 of trying to eliminate the stress, with the situation causing a large part of the stress, is becoming difficult to bear.

If anyone can help with practical ideas I’d be very grateful.
    Thanks J

ThomasJoel2
    Participant
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 375

What chelation protocol are you following?

Jaytee

Thanks for response, I’m taking this lot daily

4000mg Vit C
    500 mg Vit E
    Chlorella
    Activated charcoal
    Zeolytes (nearly finished, I have Bentonite to follow)

ThomasJoel2
    Participant

Jaytee;55546 wrote: Chlorella

There’s the almost certain answer to why you’re getting so much worse.

Chlorella is not a true chelator as it only contains one thiol group. This means that it will pick up mercury and move it around without effectively removing it from the body. This causes lots of oxidative damage and will make a mercury toxic person much worse given enough time.

True chelators contain two thiol groups. These would be substances like ALA, DMSA, DMPS, and EDTA.

Read through this entire page I’m going to link. Things should make a lot more sense.

http://www.livingnetwork.co.za/chelationnetwork/chelation-the-andy-cutler-protocol/

Jaytee

I came across Andy Cutler’s work when I was researching the mercury problem, and became more than a little confused at that time with the intensity of the info, (darned brain-fog) but on re-reading it all now, a lot more makes sense. I am grateful to you for pointing me back in that direction.

The mental fog cleared significantly about a month after amalgams were removed, it was extraordinary – one day I was mentally clogged and incapable, the next it was like a spring breeze wafting through the curtains of my brain. The chlorella hadn’t then arrived (by post) and I only began taking it about two months ago. I shall stop immediately. The other interesting thing I re-read today, was that he advises that the activated charcoal only be taken for a very short while. So that too I can stop.

The slightly more concerning thing is the information about sulphur foods. A great many of the foods on the ‘not to eat’ list form part of my daily diet – a low GI one which suits me better than most others. That’s not to say there aren’t issues with it, and in the light of this new-to-me information I’ll look more closely at possible reactions to individual sulphur foods.

I shall re-read and re-read again and monitor what happens with not taking the chlorella before I decide on other courses of action.

ThomasJoel2
    Participant

Jaytee;55548 wrote: I came across Andy Cutler’s work when I was researching the mercury problem, and became more than a little confused at that time with the intensity of the info, (darned brain-fog) but on re-reading it all now, a lot more makes sense. I am grateful to you for pointing me back in that direction.

I’m happy I could do that for you. I know what you mean about the brain fog. It’s probably the symptom I hate the most. I have only recently begun chelation–have completed about 6 weeks worth so far–and have noticed tremendous improvement in my brain fog / ability to concentrate whenever I’m on-round (I’m currently chelating with DMPS only). It’s early yet, but I have definitely noticed some gains that are very encouraging.

Jaytee;55548 wrote: The mental fog cleared significantly about a month after amalgams were removed, it was extraordinary – one day I was mentally clogged and incapable, the next it was like a spring breeze wafting through the curtains of my brain. The chlorella hadn’t then arrived (by post) and I only began taking it about two months ago. I shall stop immediately. The other interesting thing I re-read today, was that he advises that the activated charcoal only be taken for a very short while. So that too I can stop.

One thing I should mention is that since you’re about 12 months post amalgam removal, you’re probably in the dump phase right now. This is when your organs began to dump mercury into the bloodstream for excretion and symptoms worsen. According to Cutler this typically happens 6-9 months post removal and can last anywhere from 6-18 months.

Jaytee;55548 wrote: The slightly more concerning thing is the information about sulphur foods. A great many of the foods on the ‘not to eat’ list form part of my daily diet – a low GI one which suits me better than most others. That’s not to say there aren’t issues with it, and in the light of this new-to-me information I’ll look more closely at possible reactions to individual sulphur foods.

The sulphur issue is indeed significant. Not all people are intolerant, but many are. For me personally, I do much better when I avoid all high-sulphur foods. It sucks I know, because most of us are on a limited enough diet already. Right now, I’m only eating a few foods (lettuce, chicken, tomato, avocado, olive oil) most days, but I’m confident in time I’ll be able to expand my diet considerable. A sulphur exclusion trial is a great way to tell if you’re intolerant or not.

Jaytee;55548 wrote: I shall re-read and re-read again and monitor what happens with not taking the chlorella before I decide on other courses of action.

In addition to Andy Cutler’s two books I highly recommend the recent release by David Hammond–Mercury Poisoning: The Undiagnosed Epidemic. In fact, I would read that book before Cutler due to the fact that it’s much easier to read. Very straightforward and serves as a much better opener to frequent, low-dose chelation than Cutler’s books do. Cutler explains everything in a much more technical way and can be hard to read when brainfogged.

Check out the amazon reviews if you want confirmation of its quality: http://www.amazon.com/Mercury-Poisoning-Undiagnosed-David-Hammond/dp/1494747898/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1395135729&sr=1-1&keywords=mercury+poisoning+the+undiagnosed+epidemic

Jaytee

I probably wasn’t too clear in my OP, but amalgams were removed Nov/Dec 2013, therefore am only three months in. But the fog I’d known for the longest time truly cleared that quickly. By doing so, provided necessary mental impetus for dealing with the other issues.

Hopefully I’m one of the naturally quicker de-toxers if it happened that fast. But maybe that’s what’s provoked the Candida die-off reaction…

I am happy for you that you are seeing good results – there’s nothing more empowering than feeling on top of one’s treatment. It seems sometimes to be a non-linear process though, and there are setbacks which then result in more research and understanding. Though understanding is never a bad thing.

The sulphur thing is a nuisance indeed! I’d just taken on board and am working with the Lisa Richards ‘Ultimate Candida Diet” and there are definite contradictions. Even within her literature I get confused by the difference in types of infection and the acid/alkaline thing.

The hardest part I find in all this is just that – the contradictions, and knowing just whose advice to follow! This information age is amazing, with so many incredible resources to hand but it all comes with a caveat of “Buyer Beware” and the stresses involved in the search can actually add to the problem.

Vegan Catlady
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 626

Have you tried addressing the endocrine glands/immune system/adrenals/filtration instead-of/in-addition to treating the fungal problem?

You might consider (if you havent already) doing some herbal tinctures or teas to get the body eliminating more efficiently so that the body can heal this using the means that is has.

Ignore if you went this route already.

I was just thinking a hefty and very regular dose of echinacea along with some lymph-movers might help.

Adrenal support herbs for the stress and can balance-out hormones and sugar issues if they are present.

Calendula both topical and internal is such a gentle antifungal that it could only sooth the situation in my experience.

Just offering another perspective.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

One of the problems with andy cutlers protocol is that the information is somewhat outdated and its more of a treat yourself type of protocol. Imho, you should not treat yourself when it comes to a chelation protocol. If you look at the yahoo chelation group posts, there are tons of people that struggle with chelating mercury, even with the andy cutler protocol…some people come out feeling way worse from it. Some people feel better too.

Another problem is there is only one lab that creates healthy chlorella that isn’t contaminated and its located in germany. They make it in test tubes. This is the stuff my naturopath recommends along with ALA.

As far as your skin woes, what are you doing to detox from the yeast toxins? Do you have a detox protocol? One of the most significant reasons for skin conditions is a specific organ not working such as the liver. When you can’t detox with this organ, you have to detox via other methods. For some people this would either be via the lungs (asthma) and via the skin which is the largest organ in the body. There are variety of supplements you can take to help your skin including vitamin C and E, but I would focus on detoxing personally…

-raster

Tdog333
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 245

I agree with TJ about the chelation. You said that the brain fog reduced significantly after getting the amalgams out, that’s a pretty clear sign to me you have some heavy metal buildup from them. Chlorella is just going to mess you up more and raster is right about there only being a couple brands that aren’t contaminated with a ton of aluminium which will compound a mercury problem. I was thinking of taking R-ALA for a protocol I’m doing but I’ve been reading about it quite a bit now and had been reading case studies of individual people. The pattern is that the people who take it once a day get worse and stay that way for awhile. The people who take it every 3 hours get worse for a couple days and then much better. I think if your going to take ALA like raster recommended you need to do it the way andy cutler recommends which is every 3 hours. I’m far from an expert on this topic and not a doctor though- up to you and him. TJ knows more about chelation than me.

Also- I would recommend getting a 23andme.com test done for your genetic methylation data. Also some sort of methylation function test which will show levels of hcy glutathione etc. I think it can be extra hard on your body to stir stuff up like mercury when you have low glutathione. The metals and toxins will just bind to b12 and you will become b12 deficient(if you aren’t already) FAST.

Jaytee

Thank you Vegan Catlady – another perspective is always welcomed.

Dandelion is very common here for elimination, am taking that in tincture form, and a recommended organic ‘tea’ blend which I use – ash, green tea, blackcurrant, fennel.

Raster I take on board what you say about treating yourself, but personally I find it way more challenging and stressful following the advice of doctors who aren’t remotely knowledgeable. I’m pretty independent, logical and non-neurotic and their arrogance sometimes makes me a tad angry.

I also agree with you that it’s likely my body’s trying to eliminate all the rubbish via it’s largest organ – the skin. The docs insistence on treating merely the symptoms but not addressing the cause is unhelpful. I take on board what you say about glutathion levels and B12. I’ll look into that further. Lifestyle is pretty healthy generally. No smoke/drink/caffeine, sleep pretty well etc. Am taking 500mg of Vit E currently – would you say that that was sufficient? Vit C am perfectly happy taking in large quantities – can’t overdose, but not sure about E.

Tdog333 – I’m glad to have confirmation about the chlorella and am happy to leave that. I like the logic of the adsorbtion capabilities of clay-ey things like the zeolytes and bentonite, and the fact that I took the activated charcoal at just the right time (I found out later that it’s used in hospitals for overdose patients – taking the poison out of someone’s system very effectively) I feel that all this contributed to that dramatic lifting of the fog – it was extraordinary – like waking from a coma.

How would I go about getting that test done? If it’s via doctor I may be stumped. I’d read somewhere that it “may” be ineffective to take glutathion because of the way the body takes it in so would need to research that further. I would be happy doing the chelation as per TJ/AC, am in the process of re-reading that particular information on his site.

Thanks to all for the useful info so far.

EDIT: just realised I’d missed a bit – Raster, when you say about detoxing the liver – I’ve just ordered some NAC+selenium+molybdenum – do you think that’ll help – it’s listed as being a liver support.

raster
    Participant

You need liver detox herbs and related supplements. The key for you is the liver. From my scant knowledge on molybdenum, it pretty much only protects the liver but doesn’t do any repair related stuff. I don’t think selenium and NAC do much in support of detox, maybe in a minor way. Candidate is another one that helps with die-off but not sure whether it heals the liver or not.

Well you are looking at western doctors when you need to look at eastern or naturopathic doctors. Big difference. I am sure there are tons in france/europe because that is where my nd studied and learned things. You can also potentially consult one remotely too. But good ones should have chelation therapies down and which ones are best…they have studied it for years not months like most of us have lol.

Some western doctors in the US even know how to do chelation. The drugs thomasjoel mention have to be prescribed by a doctor (in the us atleast) and so there are some rare ones that know how to do chelation.

-raster

Tdog333
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 245

23andme test will be very significant I believe. It’s only $99 and doesn’t require a doctor which is really a great price cause other labs sell similar for up to $800. You just purchase a kit from the website (www.23andme.com) spit in it and mail it back to them. The methylation pathways tests I’m not too sure about, I need to look into having one done for myself eventually. I know you can order a test for at least the byproducts and basics from mymedlab if you type methylation into the search box.

The way I found out I had low glutathione was from my OAT (organic acids test) from Great Plains Laboratory- I used mymedlab.com to order that without a doctor. If you have the money I really recommend getting both the 23andme tests and GPL organic acids test.
    https://greatplains.mymedlab.com/biomedical-tests/organic-acid-test-gpl

The Organic acids test will tell you a TON about how things are going in your body.

ThomasJoel2
    Participant

raster;55555 wrote: One of the problems with andy cutlers protocol is that the information is somewhat outdated and its more of a treat yourself type of protocol. Imho, you should not treat yourself when it comes to a chelation protocol. If you look at the yahoo chelation group posts, there are tons of people that struggle with chelating mercury, even with the andy cutler protocol…some people come out feeling way worse from it. Some people feel better too.

The reason there’s some people struggling on the yahoo board is because for most, it takes them going through over half of their life and deep through the never-ending health rabbit-hole before they turn over the health stone that is mercury toxicity. Typically, the longer you’ve been sick and the older you are the longer it takes to recover. That said, I think you only have reason to fear for chelation is if you happen to have MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitiviy). These typically are the sickest people–the ones who can’t leave their house for fear that they might run into the wrong fragrance or chemical in the air lest they experience extreme symptoms. Those of us who think we have it bad should look to them and be grateful. These people too, recover from chelation given enough time.

I’m going to have a disagree with the notion that Andy Cutler’s protocol is “outdated.” Simply put, when it comes to chelation, there is no safer and more effective protocol. His track record and success rate speaks for itself. The pharmacokinetics (the half-life) of chelators like ALA, DMSA, DMPS do not change. Therefore, the way in which we dose these chelators should not change. Because of this, they should continue to be dosed according to their half-life in order to keep blood levels of chelators stable and constant. The goal of any chelation protocol should be to minimize redistribution and maximize excretion. To my knowledge, frequent, low-dose chelation does this better than any other chelation protocol out there.

raster;55555 wrote: Some western doctors in the US even know how to do chelation.

That is an understatement and I wouldn’t just lump western doctors into this category. The overwhelming vast majority of both western docs and naturopaths haven’t a clue when it comes to mercury chelation, which is why we should do our best at educating ourselves and making the most informed health decisions possible out of the information we have at hand.

raster;55555 wrote: The drugs thomasjoel mention have to be prescribed by a doctor (in the us atleast) and so there are some rare ones that know how to do chelation.

This is not true. Both DMSA and ALA can be bought at health stores, online or otherwise. DMPS is a bit more tricky to get, but can be obtained as well. That site I previously linked is one of the rare places online where you can buy DMPS.

raster
    Participant

Like I said DMPS is a pharmaceutical that requires prescription…purchasing drugs online has its risks.

Many people struggle with chelation in general with andy cutlers protocol or not and many have bad side effects who don’t have major problems beforehand. For some people, it sounds like it ruined their lives. It is something to research beforehand.

Andy cutler’s protocol is 10 years old and is out of date, there has been new chelation research since then that don’t involve all of these drugs/supplements. There are things wrong in his protocol too. For instance, he crosses out glutathione as an effective chelator based on a study he read. However a more recent study since that time has proven that glutathione may be one of the best chelator’s out there. He crossed out one the best supplements to take for chelation!

His protocol is a treat yourself protocol where he lists all sorts of herbs and vitamins to take for specific symptoms. This is problematic because you may not know the best way to deal with this problem or symptom. What if you make a mistake and take the wrong supplement? There is no guidance about what to do when you mess up, you basically have to go on to a yahoo chat forum or curezone or something to get guidance.

He is right about one thing, and that is ALA being a good chelator.

He also doesn’t look at pH being a problem or issue to address when chelating. If you are too acidic, then you will chelate too many beneficial minerals. Chelation should not be done with people who have acidosis, which includes most of the candida sufferers. The acidosis needs to be reversed first. He doesn’t address pH whatsoever in his protocol.

I don’t want to take over this guys thread with a debate about andy cutler but the fact is its 10 years old now, it is a treat yourself protocol, and you need a prescription to get dmps. I don’t know how this person in france is going to do it, and we don’t know whether their body is ready for the treatment either. Maybe they need to address other health problems first.

-raster

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Severe fungal form not responding to treatment, but spreading.’ is closed to new replies.