Sesame oil vs toasted sesame oil?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Sesame oil vs toasted sesame oil?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  shayfo 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

On the forum’s stage 1 diet, sesame oil is allowed. Is toasted sesame oil allowed as well, then? This feels like a dumb question, but the properties of regular sesame vs toasted sesame oils are pretty different (cook with regular/flavor only with toasted, one is very light/one is very dark, etc), so it seems worth asking. Also, I don’t think I’ve ever seen organic toasted sesame oil for sale anywhere, which is unfortunate.

Toasted sesame oil is delicious, and I would be really stoked to be eating it again. Any input?

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

I don’t think it matters, although there is a difference in how each is used as you’ve pointed out. This is a good article which explains that aspect of the oil.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/474445-the-difference-between-sesame-oil-toasted-sesame-oil/

I think I would use the one I wanted to use at the time.

Able

shayfo

Beautiful. I’m excited to expand my flavor repertoire again. Thanks!

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

The way I look at it is that toasted or roasted anything is worse than the raw original, so I would not get the roasted version. My naturopath talked at length about roasted food items and how they aren’t as nutritious as the original counterparts.

-raster

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

raster;32663 wrote: The way I look at it is that toasted or roasted anything is worse than the raw original, so I would not get the roasted version. My naturopath talked at length about roasted food items and how they aren’t as nutritious as the original counterparts.

On the other hand, using roasted oils occasionally as a taste enhancer won’t make a bit of difference if members are also taking
    the oils (such as coconut oil) by the teaspoon as suggested by the protocol.

Able

shayfo

Yeah, I’ve a bit regarding raw vs roasted in terms of seeds and nuts, and I’m pretty sure you’re correct that toasted sesame oil is less nutritionally dense than regular cold-pressed sesame oil. A lot of people on this forum have mentioned soaking, drying, and toasting seeds/nuts to remove mold, though, so I figured it would at least have that base covered. I’m not looking to make this a staple so much as an occasional treat, since I really love Asian flavor profiles and a lot of them are still out of the question at this point. Thanks for your input, Raster!

shayfo

Right, basically what Able said while I was typing that response. Over the course of a day, I probably consume at least two or three tablespoons worth of coconut oil, between cooking, flavoring, and eating it off the spoon. I also eat extra virgin olive oil on salad. It wouldn’t be pushing out the other beneficial oils so much as adding calories to my calorically-meager diet and adding variety to my currently curry-dense flavor palate.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Sesame oil vs toasted sesame oil?’ is closed to new replies.