Selenium

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  flailingWcandi 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Danny33
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 362

Interesting research on selenium ->

ABSTRACT The effects of selenium deficiency on the responses to Candida albicans infection were examined in mice. When selenium-deficient and selenium- supplemented mice were given i.v. injections of 0.1 ml suspensions of 1 x 10* or 5 x IO4C. albicans in 0.9 % sterile saline, deaths in the selenium-deficient animals
    started after 2.5-3.5 d compared with 7-8.5 d in the selenium-supplemented animals. Further studies demonstrated that 3 d after an i.v. injection of 1 x IO5 C. albicans, significantly more of the microorganisms were found in the kidneys (P < 0.001), livers (P < 0.025) and spleens (P < 0.01) of the selenium-deficient mice compared with the same organs of selenium-supplemented animals. Selenium deficiency was also demonstrated to impair the ability of mouse neutrophils to kill C. albicans in in
    vitro tests. The possible relationships of this defect in function to decreased resistance
    to C. albicans infection is discussed. J. Nutr. 116: 816-822, 1986. INDEXING KEY WORDS selenium deficiency •infection •mice
    •Candida albicans •neutrophils •candidacidal activity

Link to report -> Selenium Deficiency

flailingWcandi
    Topics: 13
    Replies: 277

Selenium is also a critical component co-factor to iodine supplementation which is another critical mineral; particularly for the thyroid which is major regulator of the immune system. As the candida gradually grinds down the immune system, almost all candida sufferers also have some degree of adrenal fatigue which rely heavily on the thyroids: this can even cause hypothyroidism.

Thus the forum protocol has items like Kelp built into it for iodine supplementation without the side effects of iodine. However, being iodine deficient isn’t good for healing either. Choices as one winds their way through their personal healing journey from CRC.

IMHO – most of us have vit mins deficiencies: goes hand and hand with CRC.

Blessings

(this reminds me, since I have been supplementing with iodine….the antibiotic properties and how it may effect good bacteria)

yeastygut
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 34

Has anyone here heard of Paul Jaminet and the Perfect Health Diet?? it’s fairly new, but a lot of people are having great success on it. In his book he addresses the various nutrients that our bodies need in order to function properly, and gives good advice on how to get enough of each nutrient. There is a section devoted to selenium and iodine, and the diet suggests getting all of your selenium from foods, primarily animal foods. “all meats have selenium, but the best sources are fish, shellfish, eggs, and kidneys. Those who eat little of these foods may benefit from occasional, but not daily, supplementation. To avert any risk of selenium toxicity, drink plenty of water and exercise to produce sweat.”
    “Iodine should be supplemented via potassium iodide tablets or liquid iodine solutions. Start low at 225 micrograms per day; work up to 1 milligram per day. In disease conditions, it may be beneficial to increase iodine even further. To avoid potential negative effects, accompany high-dose iodine with extra intake of salt, water, vitamin C, magnesium, and selenium.” (p293 Jaminet)

The Perfect Health Diet started as an online forum, and when so many people were experiencing such positive effects (chronic problems disappearing, etc.) Paul Jaminet decided to write a book explaining every part of the diet in detail. In the “Selenium and Iodine” section he talks about hypothyroidism: “first eliminate grains, legumes, and vegetable oils. Then to optimize intake of selenium, iodine, copper, iron, vitamin D, vitamin C, and magnesium. Vitamin A deficiency, if it exists, should also be corrected”

The book goes into great detail about all of the nutrients we need, as well as his reasoning for the food choices in the diet. Basically, he argues that grains and legumes contain toxins because they’re seeds, and the outer coatings of seeds are toxic to prevent them from being fully digested so that they can pass through your intestines and still germinate and reproduce. Rather than eat legumes and grains, he suggests eating starchy tubers for carbs, because they contain very few toxins, and once cooked (gently and fully) they are very safe. Another key part of the diet is to eat within an eight-hour window every day, therefore you fast for sixteen hours. During the fast you can eat coconut oil, cream, and broth with vegetables. I believe he himself had a problem with candida which led him to develop this diet with his wife, Shou-Ching. They are both professors at Harvard, and after developing this diet they say they feel like they’re in their twenties again.

From my own experience so far trying the Perfect Health Diet, I am no longer experiencing any discomfort after eating, even when I know I’ve over-done it with the carbs. There’s all kinds of very interesting stuff in the book, if anyone’s interested you should check it out online and maybe get the book! It is really making me understand my body’s nutrient needs and how to safely acquire everything it needs.

flailingWcandi
    Topics: 13
    Replies: 277

yeastygut;40201 wrote:
    “Iodine should be supplemented via potassium iodide tablets or liquid iodine solutions. Start low at 225 micrograms per day; work up to 1 milligram per day. In disease conditions, it may be beneficial to increase iodine even further. To avoid potential negative effects, accompany high-dose iodine with extra intake of salt, water, vitamin C, magnesium, and selenium.” (p293 Jaminet)

Sounds like an interesting read, though I have come across their work in my research. Thanks for the reminder since their site contains much info as well.

However, one might want to compare Jaminet’s work against the full iodine supplementation protocol which someone in another forum put together. mcs doses of iodine isn’t really than much. It’s important to gradually increase dosages or suffer gnarly die off but, these people work up to over 100 mgs of iodine per day.

Blessings and graces wished to you and everyone on this forum.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Selenium’ is closed to new replies.