Seeking advice from anyone who has managed to cure a long-term resistant vaginal yeast infection

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Seeking advice from anyone who has managed to cure a long-term resistant vaginal yeast infection

This topic contains 18 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Holly 1 year ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

imogenhastings
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 4

Hello. I’m new to this forum and have not really shared my problem online before. When I was fifteen I had an unexplained ‘virus’ that knocked me out for a couple of weeks, and at the same time I developed a vaginal yeast infection. I was tested and it was candida albicans.

At first, Canesten-type treatments worked fine, but it kept coming back. Soon I had a permanent yeast infection – uncomfortable 100% of the time.

Over the years it grew worse and worse. Doctors simply didn’t know what to do. One doctor prescribed me boric acid when I lived in France, which worked at first but the infection just came back.

When I was 25 (two years ago) I realised I was utterly miserable because sex was so painful. Furthermore, at some point I want to have children and the thought of giving birth with such a sore vagina is unimaginable! So I decided it was time to kick the issue for good. I did a lot of research and found out about the anti-candida diet and community.

I switched to the diet in mid-2011 and very quickly felt better than I had ever felt, in many ways. I suddenly had energy and zest for life; I stopped getting fungal toenail and skin infections; and my debilitating PMS all but disappeared. However, the vaginal yeast infection, although less intense, was not cured.

After six months I gave up, thinking that the diet was too difficult and wasn’t working anyway so what was the point?

Then, in September 2012, I decided to try again. After all, I don’t think I really have any other option. I follow the diet relatively closely. I did a cleanse at the beginning. I take good probiotics and strong antifungals. I do a great deal of exercise and work hard to avoid stress in my life.

Now I am six months into my new attempt at the diet. Although I am well in every other sense, the vaginal problem still persists. Just inside the entrance to my vagina it is very painful and sore when it is pressed. I have also suffered from anal itching since about two years into the problem. In the shower I wash both areas with aqueous cream, with drops of oregano oil in it, every day, and I find that this keeps the anal itching at bay and helps to soothe slightly the vaginal issue – but not cure it, or improve sex at all.

I’m writing this post to ask whether anyone else has had this problem for a long long time and managed to recover from it? It would help me hugely just to know that it is possible to be rid of it – to have some evidence that my efforts are not in vain.

And if you have any advice about where to go from here, I’d greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Imogen

dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1369

imogenhastings;40458 wrote: Hello. I’m new to this forum and have not really shared my problem online before. When I was fifteen I had an unexplained ‘virus’ that knocked me out for a couple of weeks, and at the same time I developed a vaginal yeast infection. I was tested and it was candida albicans.

At first, Canesten-type treatments worked fine, but it kept coming back. Soon I had a permanent yeast infection – uncomfortable 100% of the time.

Over the years it grew worse and worse. Doctors simply didn’t know what to do. One doctor prescribed me boric acid when I lived in France, which worked at first but the infection just came back.

When I was 25 (two years ago) I realised I was utterly miserable because sex was so painful. Furthermore, at some point I want to have children and the thought of giving birth with such a sore vagina is unimaginable! So I decided it was time to kick the issue for good. I did a lot of research and found out about the anti-candida diet and community.

I switched to the diet in mid-2011 and very quickly felt better than I had ever felt, in many ways. I suddenly had energy and zest for life; I stopped getting fungal toenail and skin infections; and my debilitating PMS all but disappeared. However, the vaginal yeast infection, although less intense, was not cured.

After six months I gave up, thinking that the diet was too difficult and wasn’t working anyway so what was the point?

Then, in September 2012, I decided to try again. After all, I don’t think I really have any other option. I follow the diet relatively closely. I did a cleanse at the beginning. I take good probiotics and strong antifungals. I do a great deal of exercise and work hard to avoid stress in my life.

Now I am six months into my new attempt at the diet. Although I am well in every other sense, the vaginal problem still persists. Just inside the entrance to my vagina it is very painful and sore when it is pressed. I have also suffered from anal itching since about two years into the problem. In the shower I wash both areas with aqueous cream, with drops of oregano oil in it, every day, and I find that this keeps the anal itching at bay and helps to soothe slightly the vaginal issue – but not cure it, or improve sex at all.

I’m writing this post to ask whether anyone else has had this problem for a long long time and managed to recover from it? It would help me hugely just to know that it is possible to be rid of it – to have some evidence that my efforts are not in vain.

And if you have any advice about where to go from here, I’d greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Imogen

Hi,
    I am a man ,but I believe I know the way you can end with your chronic vaginitis.

You need to follow an anticandida diet and to target the intestines with non-systemic antifungals. At the same time, you need to treat your vaginal yeast locally long term. Gentian Violet douches plus a systemic antifungal such as Diflucan long term may be an option. You may need 3 or more months on Diflucan 200 mg diary plus diary Gentian Violet douches.

The diet and the antifungals targeting the intestines are very important since your immune suppression could be caused by yeast colonies living in the intestines.

Another option is to treat the intestines with an strict diet and high doses of S. Boulardii. At the same time, treat the vagina with Gentian Violet douches every day.

I am pretty sure it will work marvelously. You may need 3 or 4 months on this regime.

Both treatment must go together to get results. The intestines musty be treated in order to find a permanent cure. Go with the S. Boulardii regime first. It will work, you have my word.

Jorge.

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

I have heard some horror stories from my friend about gentian violet, so I would be careful with it.

imogenhastings

Thanks for the replies. My main worry is the length of time that I’ve had the problem without addressing it. I waited far too long – a decade – before I did any of my own independent research on the topic and before I even discovered what candida overgrowth was and connected this to my vaginal yeast infection. I have found one inspiring post on this forum by flipflop (http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postsm1337_What-helped-me-cure-my-vaginal-yeast-infections.aspx#post1337) which is clearly a success story, but I think she mentioned in another post that she had had the problem for a year.

If a year-long problem takes two years to cure, does that mean a ten-year problem takes twenty years to cure!?!

If yes, then my life looks pretty bleak until I’m fifty. If this is not the case, I really really need to hear it from someone.

Thanks everyone.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I know a naturopath who can heal your vaginal candiasis rather quickly. He thinks that if you have candida in your private organs then you have candida in your kidneys. You have to address the infection within this organ in order to get relief.

-raster

Keya
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 68

Hi Imogen, I have the exactly same problem as you do, only I have Cadida parapsilosis and not albicans. I’ve been having vaginal yeast infection for 5 years now, and it hasn’t been on and off, it’s always present. I’m not cured yet, but maybe we can help each other with some advice.

My main problem is that for 2 years I didn’t have the correct diagnosis, because first I had vaginal bacterial infection which they cured with lots of antibiotics. All that time, I also had candida (which they hadn’t diagnosed), and of course that candida went wild with all those antibiotics. When one doctor (after a dozens of doctors I had seen), diagnosed me with candida, I started with fluconazol and itraconazol treatment, but with no success. Of course, all the doctors I had seen couldn’t help me.

Then I found out about candida diet, and have been on and off it for years now. Three months I’m on it and then I have no success and that depresses me so much that I get off it, then I realize that I can’t be cured without a diet, and then I go on, and then off after 3 months again – it’s a vicious cycle. But this time I am determined not to go off the diet. I started the diet about 5 months ago, and this is the strictest version of the diet I have been on so far. It’s the forum’s strict diet, and you can get it by e-mailing the forum user Able9000. It’s not easy, and I needed time to fully get on the track with the diet, but some days I am feeling better, so I think I need to go on with it and not give up, because I realized giving up on the diet means giving up on myself. I haven’t had a normal life since I’ve been diagnosed with this beast, and I don’t even need to tell you that sex life is a disaster, to say the least. So I need to cure this if I want my life to be normal again.

My advice would be to go on the forum’s diet. For relief down there, I use cantarion oil and tea tree oil (on a tampon), or probiotic capsules for vaginal use (but they don’t cure me,they give me just a relief for a day or so). My opinion about the douches is that they flush away all the good bacteria along with the bad ones, and then the epithelia is more vulnerable to the new infections.

Lately, I have even been avoiding to put anything down there so I can watch more closely to my progress regarding the diet. It’s because if I put something that reliefs my symptoms, I can’t track if I am feeling better or worse, it just “masks” my symptoms, it helps me for a day and then I am feeling bad again. I think that the cure must come from the inside (the diet and supplements), because the infection is coming from the intestinal tract, and if I cure my intestinal infection, then the vaginal infection will be also cured. That’s only my opinion based on the years of fighting with it, because I also don’t know the exact answers, unfortunately. We just need to keep fighting, so hang in there, we can do it 😉

imogenhastings

Hi Keya, it’s very good to hear from you – thanks for replying to my post. It’s very good to hear some words of encouragement from someone in a similar position to me.

I read on another of your posts that you are 27 – same age as me!

yisucks
    Participant
    Topics: 131
    Replies: 331

I’m very grateful to you for bringing up this topic.

I’ve been on teh diet for about 9 months because of this very problem– vaginal yeast infections. I have no other symptoms of candida but the vaginal yeast has been extremely frustrating and all started after taking 1 week’s worth of antibiotics. Ever since my vagina has been a nightmare whereas it was perfect before that.

Diet is definitely helping but I’m not there yet.

DVJorge– can you tell me more about this S Bouldardii? I’ve never heard of it…is it like probiotics?

Also, raster, I don’t know where you live, but I’d love the info on this naturopath too.

Thanks!

dvjorge
    Participant

Girls, you gonna be on the diet forever without resolve your chronic vaginal candidiasis. The diet won’t solve it.

Yes, the diet is part of an integral protocol that is focused in immune restoration. You need to understand why your candidiasis don’t respond to the treatments.

I have known many women with the same problem during the last 4 years. You need a long term systemic drug plus a non-systemic targeting the intestines. The vagina must be treated with an effective antifungal. The most effective are Boric Acid and Gentian Violet. If you do it correctly, your vaginal yeast will correct. I know many who have done it and are living a normal life now.
    There isn’t way it can be done if you don’t follow an integrated treatment.

Jorge.

Keya
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 68

dvjorge;40613 wrote: Girls, you gonna be on the diet forever without resolve your chronic vaginal candidiasis. The diet won’t solve it.

Yes, the diet is part of an integral protocol that is focused in immune restoration. You need to understand why your candidiasis don’t respond to the treatments.

I have known many women with the same problem during the last 4 years. You need a long term systemic drug plus a non-systemic targeting the intestines. The vagina must be treated with an effective antifungal. The most effective are Boric Acid and Gentian Violet. If you do it correctly, your vaginal yeast will correct. I know many who have done it and are living a normal life now.
    There isn’t way it can be done if you don’t follow an integrated treatment.

Jorge.

When you say “long term systemic drug”, you mean diflucan (fluconazol)? How much of it and through what period of time? I’m so afraid it would ruin my liver taken through a long period. Regarding the boric acid, I was thinking of using it, but my friend pharmacist told me it was being used before for disinfection, so it could be harsh and too strong for the epithelia down there, so I gave up. Now I have so much dilemmas regarding this.

yisucks
    Participant

I’d like your feedback on the diflucan too. I did it for 3 months and it worked for a bit and then stopped working. This was pre-diet. I’m wondering if it would work better now that I’m on the diet. I have a bottle sitting at the pharmacy waiting for pickup that a NP prescribed like a year ago, but since it stopped working she told me to stop. Maybe it would work now? Would once a week make sense? Can I do that with the S. Boulardii??

I don’t love boric acid…it always burned and gave me issues. I prefer using probiotics as a suppository…

dvjorge
    Participant

My preference is Gentian Violet douches. I have read a lot about how effective and broad spectrum it is against candida that I trust in it.

Regarding to the systemic drug that can be Diflucan, Itraconazole, etc, it must be taken for months in most cases. 3,4,5 or more months. I can not tell the right time since each people responds different. You need to do it coordinated with a MD that checks your liver every month. However, I am almost sure nothing is going to happen to your liver since liver enzyme alteration is rare with these drugs. I have known people in the forums who has taken them for more than a year without any problem. I, myself, have taken Fluconazole for 3 or 4 months without any change in my liver function. You have to take the systemic drug every day.

Anyway, I won’t begin with the systemic drug but targeting the intestines with a non-systemic and an strict diet. Let say you have to be doing it for 3 or 4 months, then begin the systemic drug.

The reason is to reduce the intestinal fungal load to a minimum and to gain some immune restoration. After doing it, there are more chances the systemic drug be effective targeting the intracellular candidiasis in the vagina.

The Gentian Violet douches can be done diary during the treatment.

Jorge.

yisucks
    Participant

Dvjorge,

What you say makes a lot of sense. I was thinking the same thing about the systematic drug. When I was previously on diflucan, I was also eating a terrible diet, with carbs, sugar, and alcohol. Maybe that’s why it couldnt fully work. Now that I’ve been strict dieting for 9 months, maybe the diflucan would really do it’s magic. I’ll have to talk to my gyno to see if they’d be willing to prescribe diflucan without any current “proof” of a yeast infection. Whenever I go, my cultures/wet mounds are fine, yet I still experience problems with itching and discharge at certain points in my cycle.

Yeah, boric acid wasn’t my thing and I’m also questioning the use of vaginal probiotics because I used them for the last 3 days and now I’ve been experiencing a very mild burning sensation. I would try the gentian violet douches, but my accupuncturist wants me to try these chinese medicinal douches, so I’ll try those first. I’ll also see if I can get on the diflucan. I have 9 potential diflucans, so if I did 1 a week, that would be a little over 2 months worth. But I should probably do this under a dr’s supervision..

Mykoza
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 32

I agree with what dvjorge (Jorge) says about treating recurrent yeast infections. A systemic anti-yeast drug, such as Diflucan, Fluconazole (generic for diflucan) or Nystatin , is needed along with candida diet and local treatment of the vagina. I’ve been battling this beast for what-it-seems forever and I managed to get rid of it for a year until I started eating sugars and other carbs – it was the biggest mistake I’ve ever made because now, the yeast-beast is back full-force. And my battle is on again. Moreover, I don’t have Albicans anymore, but Glabrata which is resistant to everything.

You need to get a prescription for Diflucan (Fluconazole) from your OB/GYN, plus keep on doing the diet, AND get boric acid and use it for you vagina. Boric acid kills all the types of yeast and it helps keeps the vagina’s Ph acidic (which is a good thing).

Boric acid burns some women. But you need to try it to find out. If it doesn’t burn you, then great! Because it really works.

What I don’t agree with Jorge is his claim about the douches. Sorry Jorge, I don’t mean any offense. Your advice is otherwise right on. I, as a woman, wouldn’t recommend using douches on a daily basis. They will flush out the good bacteria. Using douches every now and then are ok, but everyday use is harmful. Plus, they work only short-term. Maybe an hour or two after applying, while capsules of boric acid work for several hours – usually 24hours until it gets naturally flushed out by your body.

I hope it helped!

mrs.candida
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 452

Jorge,

This is the first I’ve heard that prescription antifungals are a necessary part of the treatment. I’m currently on S.Boulardi and probiotics. In your experience, is that enough? Would it be in my best interest to get myself on a prescription too? Which one do you like best?

My 1 year anniversary of treatment is fast approaching. I really expected to be wrapping this up by now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Seeking advice from anyone who has managed to cure a long-term resistant vaginal yeast infection’ is closed to new replies.