sauerkraut issues– exploding

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions sauerkraut issues– exploding

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  yisucks 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

yisucks
    Participant
    Topics: 131
    Replies: 331

I followed a recipe on the internet to make kraut. Today, the kraut was like exploding, so I let some air out and put the cap back on. is this normal? Should I not eat this stuff when it’s done? I don’t want to get like, botulism.

kodaz2005
    Topics: 37
    Replies: 172

yisucks;60521 wrote: I followed a recipe on the internet to make kraut. Today, the kraut was like exploding, so I let some air out and put the cap back on. is this normal? Should I not eat this stuff when it’s done? I don’t want to get like, botulism.

Did you put some type of cloth cover over the jar or other device to allow it to breath? It sounds like you didn’t. Most instructions online mention to use a cloth cover and rubber band to secure it. There are gasses that will build up as the sauekraut begins to ferment and they need to be released. When I have made it in the past I usually see the gas bubbles rise to the top for the first few days or so. I’m guessing you have cover over your jar, which is not recommended.

Sanshou
    Participant
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 47

He is correct it needs to breathe, a paper towel or coffee filter works well if you don’t have cheese cloth. The covering is really only there to keep bugs out, so you want something with small holes that is breathable. Also not sure if you knew this, but you can’t ferment in about 2-3 days if you add a little kefir water or kefir grains, you can also use the juice from an old ferment batch.

yisucks
    Participant

http://detoxinista.com/2012/05/how-to-make-raw-sauerkraut/

This is the recipe I used. It just said to seal the jar off…no mention of a. Heese cloth or anything like that. What did I miss? Can’t I just burp it?

Sanshou
    Participant

I suppose you could, but if you forget you risk of exploding sauerkraut, not to mention increasing the rate of failing the ferment.

I just use a paper towel or coffee filter with a rubber band, cheap and easy and less risk of a failure.

lol wait until you add garlic or something and everything comes out blue. I threw away my first few batches as I figured eating the fermented blue vegetables would be bad, but apparently it’s normal, but still really freaky.

yisucks
    Participant

Yea. I had a girl over tonight who teaches courses on fermenting veggies a d thought mine smelled fine so I guess it’s ok. Will def do cheese cloth next time. Thanks for the tip!

yisucks
    Participant

I started eating the kraut I fermented and I’m having weird skin sensations. Could I be harming myself by eating it? Could I have ruined my batch with burping it? I let it sit for 4 weeks and smells and tastes fine…

Sanshou
    Participant

Generally you know if it’s bad by the smell, but when it comes to this stuff it’s so cheap to make I normally don’t chance it. I might try another batch and see how you react.

I’m fairly new to this myself with about 6 months of practice. But what I’ve just recently learned is to use a something breathable for the first two phases which takes about 7-10 days. Then you can seal it up and not end up with it exploding while fermenting the bacteria you want.

Also something I use to help speed up the fermentation is kefir water.

yisucks
    Participant

Thanks for advise! What do u use to make it breathe?

Sanshou
    Participant

I tend to just use a coffee filter or paper towel until most of gas is gone then cap it. Which is about 2-3 days when I add a little brown sugar and kefir water.

There are also special caps that allow the excess gas to burp off.

yisucks
    Participant

Great advice! I’ll try that next time

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘sauerkraut issues– exploding’ is closed to new replies.