Sauerkraut

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Able900 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Katy Gillett
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 137

I’ve never used it before but I found and bought some today from my local supermarket. Now.. What on earth am I supposed to do with it?! Sauerkraut ideas would be much appreciated right now 🙂

Hope
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 187

Hmmm, Katy. I’m assuming you’re talking about sauerkraut that has gone through lactic acid fermentation. If so, that’s *real* sauerkraut 😉 If it’s not real sauerkraut, though, it’s bound to have vinegars in it. Regardless, you should be aware that both kinds of sauerkraut may pose problems on an ACD. This is one of those areas where diets differ, but many candida sufferers have issues with *any* kind of fermentation, even lactic acid/natural fermentation. I think I’d research a little more about it before adding it to my diet.

If you do choose to eat it, it would be tasty with mashed rutabagas or mashed turnips. If you can find organic, all natural, antiobiotic free pork (I can hear you laughing and saying “yeah, right!”) it’s very good just placed on top of a pork roast or pork ribs with a little plain tomato sauce, sea salt, and cracked pepper and then roasted in the oven. I grew up eating pork and sauerkraut like this with buttery mashed potatos every New Year’s Day. Some nonsense about it bringing good luck 😉 But it always tasted SO good!

Hope this helps 🙂

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hope wrote: If you do choose to eat it, it would be tasty with mashed rutabagas or mashed turnips.

Hi, Hope and Katy.

Hope, when I read the word ‘rutabagas’ … man, what a memory that word registered in my mind. Is this a food item that you’ve always eaten?
    I had heard of it, but never tried it until a while back. It was before I started my actual recovery, so no doubt the Candida was still fairly strong in my system. I had read that rutabaga was an excellent antifungal, and since I was trying to add as many of these foods as possible to my diet, I thought I’d try it. Well, I liked it, and ended up eating almost an entire, large rutabaga for one meal. By that evening, I was having one of the worse die-off experiences – or sickness of any kind of my entire life. It went on for hour after hour. This was when I discovered the products Candidate and Molybdenum to lessen the die-off symptoms. I went searching for something, anything that could help the die-off so that I’d never have to go through that again.

I suppose it all happened because I ate that much at one time and had never eaten it before. Not a pleasant experience. I plan to add them back to my diet, but I know I’m procrastinating about doing that, partly (no doubt) because of the horrible experience, but also… those darn things are so aggravating to peel and cut, man, you need a tree axe to slice them.

I guess you’ve always enjoyed them on a regular basis?

Hope
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 187

I remember reading that post, Able! Man, I’m sorry – I’m impressed you plan on eating one in the future. That might be enough to keep me away 😉

Not on a regular basis, but every now and then in the fall/winter. I had a roasted root vegetables dish at a restaurant a long time ago that I really loved, and afterward I would recreate it once in a while. It was rutabagas, turnips, parsnips, carrots, and onions all slow roasted in olive oil. Very fall-ish tasting to me 🙂

Katy – word to the wise. Go slowly on the rutabagas if they’re new! lol. Or maybe just stick with turnips. I actually prefer the turnips, anyway.

chengliu
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 3

Hope, when I read the word ‘rutabagas’ … man, what a memory that word registered in my mind. Is this a food item that you’ve always eaten?
    Tera Power Leveling
    Buy WOW Items
    Tera Items

Katy Gillett

Thanks for the ideas Hope! I wasn’t sure about sauerkraut because I read it was a really good probiotic which is why I bought it :S.

I’m a veteran rutabaga/swede eater actually haha as my mum brought me up on swede and carrot mash. I didn’t know they had antifungal properties though! That’s great as I’ve been making them with cabbage, onions and garlic :). A delicious antifungal/probiotic medley!

Quick question if you guys know – are we safe to roast vegetables at the early stages? Like swedes, courgettes and onions etc?

Sorry you had such a bad experience with them Able! But I would recommend trying them in small doses if you don’t have another reaction because they are v. tasty and filling so a good addition to a meal. If you can’t handle them, don’t worry they’re horrible 🙂

Able900
    Spectator

Katy Gillett wrote: Quick question if you guys know – are we safe to roast vegetables at the early stages? Like swedes, courgettes and onions etc?

… I would recommend trying them in small doses…

Yes, Katy, I kinda figured that out a while back. lol

Zucchini or courgettes are acceptable on the Candida diet, so are onions, I’ve eaten both of these throughout my cure. Unless I’m mistaken, a swede is the same as a rutabaga or yellow turnip. Just remember what Hope told you, take it easy with these so as not to have a major die-off experience.
    And I see no problem with roasting your vegetables.

Katy Gillett

Thanks for the advice on roasting Able. I’m so glad because I love a few roasted veg items on occasion :). Particularly swede (same as rutabaga) as I’m planning to make some kind of chip with it!

I’m fine with swede though – its something I’ve always eaten and haven’t really had any die off symptoms as yet but then again I’ve only been having a smallish portion of swede mash with each meal when I make it (1 swede makes a lot of it!).

In fact, I don’t feel like I’m getting much in the way of die off which worries me a bit. I’m wondering if I’m doing something wrong?! Right now I’m on one aloe vera or kyolic capsule a day, 2 teaspoons of coconut oil and one cup of pau d’arco tea. Will rotate the aloe vera, kyolic and pau d’arco soon with what I don’t know but is this enough to cause die off or should I be taking more?

Katy Gillett

I spoke to soon! Feeling rather rough since then :S

Able900
    Spectator

Hello, Katy.

From what I understand, it sounds as though you’ve experienced at least some of the milder die-off symptoms along the way … or was that until this morning? Is this what you meant by your latest post, you were having worse die-off symptoms this morning?

Since it’s impossible to literally kill off ALL of the Candida in our system (this is not our goal), it may be a better idea at this time to concentrate instead on building an environment for which the Candida have no use because they are unable to thrive and continue to populate, but in which the good bacteria/flora in the system can flourish. Because in the end, when your Candida infestation is completely cured, the champion of the fight will be the flora/communities of good bacterial in your system which have sufficiently lowered the numbers of Candida and prevented the ones that are left from changing from a mild yeast form into a dangerous fungal form infestation which they now are (remember that Candida are in are system for a positive purpose, as long as they’re not in a fungal form).

If you’ve been eating cabbage, onions and garlic cooked together all along, I would definitely keep this up. As you stated, not only are you ingesting some very good antifungals, but at the same time you’re feeding the good flora in your system with the vegetable fibers in these foods, an excellent combination. Maybe you would like to post the recipe for that in the forum’s recipe section, if you’ve not already.

If I were on your present diet, the only other item I would consider adding would be the Oil of Oregano. I had some great success with this all during my diet, and if fact, I’m still taking from 5 to 10 drops a day for maintenance. You can rotate this with other fungal products, but again, I would not rotate the coconut oil, I would have it every day.

Good luck to you.
    Able

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Sauerkraut’ is closed to new replies.