Saccharomyces boulardii

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Saccharomyces boulardii

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Able900 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

I was a little pessimistic about Saccharomyces boulardii when I first heard of it, but once I saw the research studies it sounded promising. Various studies were preformed on both humans and mice. In one study five different groups of mice were injected with Candida albicans and then later given either S. boulardii or other treatments.

The group given S. boulardii resulted in the number of Candida albicans colonies formed in the gastrointestinal tract being significantly lower than groups given other treatments. The studies also indicated that S. boulardii can affect the adhesion of Candida albicans cells to the intestinal walls.

In addition to these studies, in a placebo-controlled study patients with diarrhea caused by irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) showed a significant reduction in the number and consistency of bowel movements when treated with S. boulardii.

In yet another study, it was shown to induce the secretion of Immunoglobulin in the small intestines, providing protection against invading microbes in the gastrointestinal as well as the respiratory tracts.

So what exactly is S. boulardii? It’s a strain of yeast/probiotic discovered by a French scientist by isolating it in a freeze-dried form from a China-grown fruit called lychee.

Able

kingkenny12
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 3

So do you recommend this even thou it contains yeast??
    Thanks.

alwcm4
    Topics: 21
    Replies: 19

This is interesting. Do you think you will try it Able?

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

alwcm4 wrote: This is interesting. Do you think you will try it Able?

I may possibly try it in the future, Amanda; I don’t think I need to at this time. At any rate, I’m still finding studies on the supplement.

If anyone decides to try it, there are a few things to keep in mind;
    Although S. boulardii can be used to help restore as well as promote additional micro-flora, it’s still only a temporary resident in the intestines because it’s easily replaced by probiotic bacteria as well as Candida albicans. It’s basically cleared out of the human system after 4 to 7 days following a dosage, so it needs to be taken regularly at least for as long as it’s needed. In addition, it won’t multiply as the beneficial bacteria from a probiotic do.

It should be taken in combination with lactic-acid producing probiotics, in other words, it isn’t a replacement for a good probiotic.
    No standard dosage has been officially agreed on it seems. In tests, approximately 500 mg to 1000 mg were given to patients daily for up to 15 months and few if any side effects were noted.

You can have only a rather small population of S. Boulardii at any one time; which is to say it doesn’t occupy much space when it’s in the system. So once you discontinue the dosage, it’s replaced by whatever is in the rest of your colon, whether it’s Candida, or good or bad bacteria.

Able

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Saccharomyces boulardii’ is closed to new replies.