S.Boulardii and Kombucha tea – there are two types of Kombucha available…?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions S.Boulardii and Kombucha tea – there are two types of Kombucha available…?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Danny33 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #112877

    Bansaw
    Participant
    Topics: 50
    Replies: 106

    Apparently there are two types of Kombucha tea available:
    One made with Torulaspora delbrueckii (known as bottom yeast) and the other made with Saccharomyces Boulardii (known as top yeast).

    The S.Boulardii one (apparently) has more alcohol and is sweeter. Some say between 2-3% alcohol.
    Alcohol kind of affects me since I’ve not had a drop in a number of years, but I was also wondering about the sugar content of an S.Boulardii Kombucha.

    Do the health benefits of Boulardii outweight the fact that there is some sugar left in there?
    If you let if ferment too long its too sour to drink I hear.

    How much Kombucha do you advise drinking per day?

    #112910

    Danny33
    Member
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 362

    Bansaw;51398 wrote:

    Apparently there are two types of Kombucha tea available:
    One made with Torulaspora delbrueckii (known as bottom yeast) and the other made with Saccharomyces Boulardii (known as top yeast).

    The S.Boulardii one (apparently) has more alcohol and is sweeter. Some say between 2-3% alcohol.
    Alcohol kind of affects me since I’ve not had a drop in a number of years, but I was also wondering about the sugar content of an S.Boulardii Kombucha.

    Do the health benefits of Boulardii outweight the fact that there is some sugar left in there?
    If you let if ferment too long its too sour to drink I hear.

    How much Kombucha do you advise drinking per day?

    Either strain is fine but the SB is more antagonistic against Candida. Store bought kombucha is going to be the best bet for most people (example: GT’s with only 2g of sugar) because its hard to tell how much raw cane sugar is left in the tea after home fermentation.

    I fermented using S. Boulardii for a while, my only gripe is that the SB was taking way too long to ferment (1 whole month). I’ve also used delbrueckii which seemed to be faster and more consistant. Feel free to experiment with both and use PH strips to help judge acidity. At this point I only drink store bought Kombucha and drink it as my healthy soda from time to time.

    -Good luck!

    #112924

    Bansaw
    Participant
    Topics: 50
    Replies: 106

    Danny33;51431 wrote:

    Either strain is fine but the SB is more antagonistic against Candida. Store bought kombucha is going to be the best bet for most people (example: GT’s with only 2g of sugar) because its hard to tell how much raw cane sugar is left in the tea after home fermentation.

    I fermented using S. Boulardii for a while, my only gripe is that the SB was taking way too long to ferment (1 whole month). I’ve also used delbrueckii which seemed to be faster and more consistant. Feel free to experiment with both and use PH strips to help judge acidity. At this point I only drink store bought Kombucha and drink it as my healthy soda from time to time.

    -Good luck!

    Thanks, – how do you use Ph strips, – what should the Ph read to tell you when the fermentation should stop? If its taking a month, I guess you must be making large amounts like a gallon or thereabouts.
    Its a spin off between stopping the fermentation of the Kombucha early and ending up with too much sugar, and leaving it to ferment into vinegar thats too sour to drink.

    How much do you drink per day,- a cup? Then I guess you’re taking a S.Boulardii supplement too.

    #112937

    mygutleaks
    Participant
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 166

    one could also eat the newly formed scoby that is created with each batch of kombucha. I would think this would contain a significant amount of SB. I read something about the scoby possibly absorbing tannins from the tea, and other bad things, maybe fluoride too. so I would eat the new scoby and not the old, as it looks cleaner. it actually tastes kind of good, or at least neutral. I think a combination of SB pills, drinking it (homebrew & store bought), and eating the scoby would be a good way to keep costs down. I did read something recommending no more than 1 bottle/day, as the acetic acid is very acidic to the body. I have been drinking sometimes 1 1/2 /day as it is so delicious and have been ok.

    When buying SB pills at the store the other day, and asking for a baggie of ice, the owner said the ice isn’t necessary – that they don’t even ship it to them cold. and that the cold only ensures the max dose on the bottle – I felt like not even buying it from them – 50 pills (3b each) for $25, and I need a dose of 15 to 30b a day.. geesh!

    #112964

    Bansaw
    Participant
    Topics: 50
    Replies: 106

    mygutleaks;51458 wrote: I did read something recommending no more than 1 bottle/day, as the acetic acid is very acidic to the body. I have been drinking sometimes 1 1/2 /day as it is so delicious and have been ok.

    Do you have a comment about the alcoholic content?
    I read somewhere that people estimate its between 0.5% and 3.0% depending on how long you ferement it. But another person said, “there’s no alcohol in it because its like a vinegar: “aerobic fermentation, the cloth lid makes it so. That’s why it turns to vinegar and not alcohol.”

    Whats the exact truth here about the alcohol content?

    #113060

    Danny33
    Member
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 362

    Bansaw;51485 wrote:

    I did read something recommending no more than 1 bottle/day, as the acetic acid is very acidic to the body. I have been drinking sometimes 1 1/2 /day as it is so delicious and have been ok.

    Do you have a comment about the alcoholic content?
    I read somewhere that people estimate its between 0.5% and 3.0% depending on how long you ferement it. But another person said, “there’s no alcohol in it because its like a vinegar: “aerobic fermentation, the cloth lid makes it so. That’s why it turns to vinegar and not alcohol.”

    Whats the exact truth here about the alcohol content?

    There is typically a miniscule amount of alcohol in Kombucha and most any other ferment.
    I don’t see that being a big deal. The amount of residual cane sugar left is the only concern of mine.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘S.Boulardii and Kombucha tea – there are two types of Kombucha available…?’ is closed to new replies.