Rutabaga/Turnip/Swede

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Rutabaga/Turnip/Swede

This topic contains 16 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Able900 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Carb voyeur
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 15

Dear Able,

About this rutabaga (or turnip, as my people call it). You mentioned before that it’s a great antifungal, but it’s a very starchy root vegetable, and quite high glycaemic, so I was wondering how it can still be good? It’s lovely roasted or mashed, so if I can eat it, that’d be great…

Also, while I’m here, has anyone found any connection between candida and environmental chemicals? I use this strong degreaser spray in work, and I’m starting to wonder if it’s contributed to my candida, which has, after a period of subsidance, been flaring up lately.

A little bit tired of this stage 1 limbo. If I can’t start having fruit or something by Christmas, I may throw in the towel.

Haven’t been on in a while. Hope you’re all keeping well.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Carb voyeur wrote: A little bit tired of this stage 1 limbo. If I can’t start having fruit or something by Christmas, I may throw in the towel.

Any negative aspects of a rutabaga are negated by the fact that they are the most powerful antifungal you’ll find anywhere. You can have them everyday if you wish.

From what I gathered from your previous posts, you’ve been on the diet for about two months. I think Raster has been on the diet for at least five months and plans to stay on it for a while longer, and I’ve been on it for one year this month; not because I still have Candida, because I haven’t experienced that for a long time, but because I’ve seen such a change in my health, particularly the immune system and the amount of energy I seem to have. The truth is, I don’t intend to ever lose what allows me to enjoy all the happiness in my life; that is, having the health to live my life as I please without a thought to whether or not I’ll feel like following my plans and have the energy and stamina to do absolutely anything I want to do without a worry about my health. This is priceless to me, and I guess I have a problem understanding why it isn’t to others. So I’m really sorry if I can’t relate to or sympathize with how you feel, at least about throwing in the towel when it comes to your health and whether you want it to be very good or very pathetic for the rest of your life.

Able

“A man is not sick because he has an illness; he has an illness because he is sick.”

johnny22
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 23

Would regular turnips work the same? I don’t think there are any rutabagas available around here.

Lucylu
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 345

I was just about to ask the same question Johnny! I hope it’s the same as regular turnip/ swede as that would add a nice “bulk” to dinner times…

Able900
    Spectator

No, I’m afraid there’s a huge difference between the two. If you eat both at different times while on the diet, you’ll very likely see a big difference.
    If turnips are sold in your area, at least some stores should have rutabagas. I would telephone all the different markets and ask about it.

Able

Able900
    Spectator

Lucylu wrote: I was just about to ask the same question Johnny! I hope it’s the same as regular turnip/ swede as that would add a nice “bulk” to dinner times…

Lucy, I think perhaps a swede and rutabaga may be the same. A swede is described as a “yellow turnip” and this also describes a rutabaga perfectly. Rutabagas come in both large and small sizes, is this true of the swede?

Thomas
    Topics: 71
    Replies: 605

Hi guys, I am confused with the english names.
    Is the Rutabaga a Brassica campestris ssp. napobrassica?

If it is than I am lucky we have tons of them in the shops!

cheers
    Thomas

Able900
    Spectator

According to the information I found, they appear to be the same. When I look up the word “napobrassica” I receive “rutabaga.”

Here’s an excellent photo of what we have here as a rutabaga, however sometimes they also have a purplish tinted ring mixed with the yellow.
    http://www.fotosearch.com/CSP735/k7352484/

Katy Gillett
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 137

That’s definitely a swede.

Turnips are different and much smaller.

I have to say I MUCH prefer swedes.

Able900
    Spectator

Katy Gillett wrote: That’s definitely a swede.

Do they wax the surface of a swede the way they do rutabagas over here?

Thomas

Able900 wrote:

you put the question to katy but I will tell you how we have them here in sweden, and no they dont wax them but mostly they wrap them in a cellophane folio.

cheers
    thomas

jasminehks
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 30

Thomas wrote:

you put the question to katy but I will tell you how we have them here in sweden, and no they dont wax them but mostly they wrap them in a cellophane folio.

cheers
    thomas

what are Rutabagas called in Swedish ?? cuz when i look it up online it says Kålrot for both Turnip and Rutabaga. i’m confused :S

Thomas

jasminehks wrote:

cheers
    thomas

what are Rutabagas called in Swedish ?? cuz when i look it up online it says Kålrot for both Turnip and Rutabaga. i’m confused :S

its called Kålrot!

all the best
    thomas

Lucylu
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 345

OK… I think here it’s what we call Swede. I’m just afraid now that I’ll buy the wrong one in the supermarket!

Able900
    Spectator
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Rutabaga/Turnip/Swede’ is closed to new replies.