Results of 5-day water fast and VSL#3

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Results of 5-day water fast and VSL#3

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Wiley200 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

jake
    Participant
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 12

(I have been on the strict protocol for 4 months. Very little improvement.)

5-day water fast:

– high dose Oregano oil before stating fast.

– Felt horrible during days 4-5, had to have an enema to remove toxins.

– Slowly reintroduced food, starting with small salads, plenty sauerkraut, bone broth between meals, L-Glutamine, ACV before meals, S.boulardii and 100 billion CFU probiotic (Optibac) per day.

Results:
    1 week of sheer bliss. I could think. I could exercise. I was creative. Havent felt anything like this in 5+ years.
    Then one day in the middle of exercising I got terrible heart palpitations, felt very cold and when I got home the damn muscle weakness had returned. I was almost bed-ridden the next day.

VSL#3:

Started taking two weeks ago, two sachets per day. First sachet in the morning (6am) with kale smoothie. Next with big salad and Chia at around 2pm.

Results

Takes 3-4 days to start working (I am also still taking S.Boulardii).

– much hungrier all the time
    – Amazing feeling of getting energy from food rather than feeling worse-off after each meal
    – no bloating whatsoever after eating.
    – strength came back temporarily
    – no more chronic constipation!

Now, two weeks in, my muscle fatigue and cracked lips are slowly coming back. I had quite a stressful few days with work and I have not been able to recover physically. I am dragging myself up the banister on the stairs once again!

No change in diet, no change in supplements. I am still taking VSL#3 and my gut is still functioning well.

Does anyone else experience this PERSISTENT muscle fatigue? …Its making me crazy!

-J

Wiley200
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 386

It sounds to me like you started wayyyy too quickly. Taking high dose oregano oil before you start, eating and taking lots of probiotics, etc. If you followed the book’s protocol you would have introduced these slowly, in staggered phases.

I think you’ve been putting your liver and immune system under immense pressure, and you’ve probably also been experiencing repeated die-off symptoms.

jake
    Participant

It sounds to me like you started wayyyy too quickly. Taking high dose oregano oil before you start, eating and taking lots of probiotics, etc. If you followed the book’s protocol you would have introduced these slowly, in staggered phases.
    I think you’ve been putting your liver and immune system under immense pressure, and you’ve probably also been experiencing repeated die-off symptoms.

Sorry, I made it sound like I did everything at once because I just wanted to give basic notes:

Over the last 4 months I had been slowly increasing oregano oil (starting 2 and up to 12 tabs per day), same story with coconut oil.

I have been taking probiotics for 3 years for IBS (20 -50 billion).

Ever since starting the strict protocol I have had muscle weakness that I cannot fix. I have tried Molybdenum – no effect. I just dont think I can continue the diet unless I get some relief.

Wiley200
    Participant

Are you following the diet on the website? If you’re following a different diet, I wonder if you have some nutritional deficiencies. For example, a vitamin D deficiency might cause muscle weakness. You might need to adjust your diet or include some supplements to fill the gap.

NickyDelivers
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 25

what was the strict protocol for the last 4 months, you sound serious so I assume it was phase 3/2 ?

Gotta be real careful with the stress my man, remember, we have brains from 4 million years of evolution, the modern age has been around for 100 years, our brains are programmed physcially to run from predators/neighboring tribes and physical threats, when you stress what it is, is fight or flight, thus insulin increases come from the brain prompting the liver to release glucose/blood sugar. Thus that blood sugar isn’t buring off cause youre not physically running or fighting.

Thus , despite your diet, (and you sound serious about it), you just fed your candida via stress….. The glucose your body has stored just fed your candida….

Im planning on take a week or 2 off, just for the die off and stressors this final cleanse I plan to do.

1 user thanked author for this post.

NickyDelivers
    Participant

also Wiley is right on deficiencies 100%, sounds like you need a full blood panel to check any deficiencies, this diet can do that.

jake
    Participant

Are you following the diet on the website? If you’re following a different diet, I wonder if you have some nutritional deficiencies. For example, a vitamin D deficiency might cause muscle weakness. You might need to adjust your diet or include some supplements to fill the gap.

Yes, stuck in phase 1. On the strict diet from the forum (Raster’s allowed food list).

also Wiley is right on deficiencies 100%, sounds like you need a full blood panel to check any deficiencies, this diet can do that.

Hey thankyou for replying, just had full bloods done actually – all good.. except slightly deficient in a certain protein, which the doc didnt specify..

I cant keep going with this muscle thing, can barley keep my head up straight when its bad. Thankyou for your advice about stress, this is surley a contributing factor.

NickyDelivers
    Participant

Consider this protein supplement – vegan
    https://functionsupplements.com/product/3hree/

OR
    MRM Veggie Elite
    OR
    Vega Clean Protein

all these are vegetarian and check them for their sugar, I think they all use stevia (safe) I havent tried the 3Hree yet, just found it, but I use the other 2.

jake
    Participant

Consider this protein supplement – vegan
    https://functionsupplements.com/product/3hree/
    OR
    MRM Veggie Elite
    OR
    Vega Clean Protein
    all these are vegetarian and check them for their sugar, I think they all use stevia (safe) I havent tried the 3Hree yet, just found it, but I use the other 2.

Thanks, I will look into this.. although i am eating a fair amount of chicken and fish in my diet, so i’m not sure what the deficiency is about (it wasnt a concern for the doctor).

jake
    Participant

Just an update: It appears stress has major implications for candida sufferers.

I am finding my feet again after the stressful 3 days at work mentioned above (where I’d had less than 6 hours sleep each night).

I have my strength back this morning, but after a lunch of chicken breast and large salad (including cauliflower, lettuce, rocket, cucumber, olive oil). I felt the weakness coming back into the muscles.. almost like they were being squeezed.

I guess this was the candida being fed by what little carbohydrate were in the salad. So the weakness is my body dealing with a flare-up. Probably not die-off.

——-

So the fast and VSL#3 have shown me what to aim for, that feeling was unbelievable after the fast. Also, they have given me a stronger sense of what is going on in the body.. like I went to a real base level where there were no food interactions or allergy effects. It really brought candida into full-focus again when it came crashing back into my life as I was innocently jogging in the countryside.

Its a horrible creature this candida, especially when you get punished for eating a slightly larger lunch than normal 🙁

jake
    Participant

Another update if anyone is interested:

I think I know why I felt so good after the fast: autophagy. Autophagy is a big subject, it happens during longer fasts and its basically the body’s mechanism of getting rid of all the broken down, old cell machinery (organelles, proteins and cell membranes) when there’s no longer enough energy to sustain it. It is a regulated, orderly process to degrade and recycle cellular components.

It also happens to kill and remove candida and other yeasts. Take a look at this study:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4931385/

—–

Very good news to me, I think I will continue my research into fasting and try to formulate a fasting + gut health protocol to try in combination with the strict diet on this site. I hope to eliminate as much candida as possible over the next year and restore my gut completely (I may even consider FMT therapy).

J

jake
    Participant

ANOTHER update if anyone is interested (probably not at this stage 🙂 )

I think I know the reason I’ve been feeling so bad while remaining so strict: I had gone into ketosis. [This is achieved by consuming less than 50g of carbs per day]

Candida has been shown to feed off of ketones!

Wiley200
    Participant

Yep you need to avoid ketosis. The diet is low-carb, not no-carb!!

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.