Restless Leg Syndrome

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Restless Leg Syndrome

This topic contains 26 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Doggiemama 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Flipper
    Topics: 33
    Replies: 79

I’ve been on the strict Candida diet now for about a month. My only major symptom of Candida is fatigue and that has gotten worse lately. (debilitating at times) But now I also have a mild case of restless leg syndrome. I’m taking magnesium citrate -Calm- a couple times a day and now am wondering if I should take even more.
    I’m also wondering if my injuries (hip and shoulder) that don’t seem to want to heal over the course of many many months, are not healing due to the Candida.
    Anyone have experience with this sort of thing?
    Thanks!

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

How many calories are you eating and what are your ratios like? I think some people have a fat phobia and don’t replace the carbs they cut out with anything. Getting a poor balance is going to leave you chronically fatigued.

1) Get at least 55g of carbs per day to keep your glycogen stores topped up. This allows your brain to run on glucose, gives your muscles an energy source for sudden physical exertion, and takes strain off your liver and kidneys. It also reduces the chances of protein being burned, which creates ammonia as a by-product and wastes muscle. It’s a bit tricky on the diet, but there are carbs in there if you look.
    2) Get most of your calories from fat. You’re already eating the carbs your brain needs if you follow #1, but cells containing mitochondria, like the muscles, run better on fat. Years of anti-cholesterol, low-fat brain washing may mean you’re starving them of energy. Check how many calories you’re consuming from fat.
    3) Get the rest from protein. An excess causes the liver and kidney issues, and has been linked to lower life-span, so you don’t want to go crazy with protein. If you aren’t getting enough carbs to fuel your brain, you need over 120g/day depending on your weight, but anything from 50-150g or so should be okay if you are. You’ll be fine at the low-end unless you workout.

I never thought much about this ratio until recently, but it definitely makes a difference. You can see how the amount of carbs affects the amount of protein you need, so they’re all interdependent, and if you aren’t eating enough of the right stuff, it’s no surprise if you end up feeling drained. That said, since you’re only one month into the diet, your body is probably still adjusting to the dietary change.

If your shoulder injury is just pain, i.e. not a wound, it could be inflammation. Die-off contributes to inflammation, and so does diet, stress and (lack of or too much) exercise. Anything else keeping your body from running at its best – candida, deficiencies, immune issues etc – obviously isn’t going to help.

Flipper

Thanks Javizy,
    Lots to think about. I’m not one for counting food data, but I am an athlete and am used to being aware of how to fuel my body. Right now I’m eating about 30g of carbs in Millet in the morning and then another serving of buckwheat or Quinoa at lunch or dinner. I don’t know how many carbs I’m getting from the salads etc. So are you thinking RLS could be from lack of carbs? or just the fatigue? I don’t shy away from fat and seem to have gone through a jar of coconut oil in little over a week (!). And I’m always eating avocado and almonds. I’ve been working on getting 75 grams of protein a day but thought too much was causing constipation. I swim, run, bike and do yoga. These days I’m only doing what I feel up to (which is a small fraction of what I used to do) and canceled all my events so I can get better before I start really training again.

It used to be that hard training really helped my brain fog and fatigue but this year I have nothing in me to train hard along with chronic injuries. It was strongly suggested by a Dr. of nutrition and another holistic health practitioner that I have candida and that’s the cause of the fatigue.

At this point I’m not sure of anything.

Javizy

It might be worth counting your fat calories for a day just to get an idea. 100g will only give 900 calories, so you’ll need to use more oil for cooking than you usually would to get 60-70% of your calories from fat.

Like I said, adjusting to the diet takes time and die-off just adds to the problems. People on here have said it took them anywhere from 4-12 weeks for their energy to return. Don’t push yourself until you start to feel better. Rest is important too.

By the way, are you following the forum or website diet? Quinoa has a few drawbacks. Fuelling your brain and avoiding ketosis is important like I said, but you don’t want to risk fuelling candida either. There’s little benefit in going over 60g or so of carbs per day, and if you topped 150g then you’re into disease territory even for people without candida.

I’m not sure about the RLS, but when you have candida all sorts of stuff can happen to your body, especially during die-off. Maybe someone else can chime in on this one.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I don’t think you’ll be able to heal the restless leg syndrome from the candida diet from my experience…I’ve been on the diet for a year and it hasn’t gone away or improved whatsoever. The way I look at it, I have a fast metabolism and maybe thats whats causing it. Either way, I don’t think its candida.

I take a homeopathic called zincum metallicum which completely reduces this problem; my legs don’t wake up feeling so tired and my bed sheets stay on my bed a little better. In general, I feel more rested when I take it and it completely reduces this problem.

As far as working out on the diet; working out can suppress the immune system (like smoking or doing drugs) and that is something you won’t want to do on the diet. I would consider taking a break for a month or two until the die-off is over…because the biggest thing you need while recovering is lots of rest! I could barely even handle doing yardwork while on going through die-off and any activity can be very draining. Light walks or riding a bike might be OK, but I wouldn’t do any rigorous activity.

You also likely aren’t progressing as much as you’d like because you are eating foods that you shouldn’t have on the diet such as quinoa and almonds. Quinoa is very high in starch and can feed candida; its about as bad as brown rice. Almonds contain molds which feed candida which is a fungus. Oat bran and buckwheat are good sources of carbs, but like I said, I wouldn’t be so focused on working out while trying to heal your immune system.

-raster

Javizy

raster wrote: As far as working out on the diet; working out can suppress the immune system (like smoking or doing drugs) and that is something you won’t want to do on the diet.

I think this depends on the amount of activity. Exercise like 30-minute jogs, intermittent resistant training etc can improve immunity and lower inflammation. Long-distance running and other intense exercise does exactly what you say though, as well as increasing oxidative stress, shortening your lifespan and some other nasty stuff.

Flipper

Thanks again,
    I didn’t know that about the quinoa, I have been going on what the nutritionist told me. He also told me to eat 2 grapefruit a day and I haven’t seen that recommended anywhere. So I’ll cut the quinoa. I toast the almonds in hopes that kills the mold. (I love them) I’ll check out the diet on this site again.

Hey Javizy, are you telling me that endurance athletes are shortening their lives!!!!!! Really? I love the long run/swim/bike – whatever.

I have and will continue to cut back on workouts for now for sure. I’m too tired to do anything else anyway.

BTW I’m so glad this forum exists!! I was ready to shoot myself with all of this. SOOO good to read other’s stories and get feedback on mine. Why doesn’t the medical establishment embrace candida????????

Javizy

Flipper wrote: Hey Javizy, are you telling me that endurance athletes are shortening their lives!!!!!! Really? I love the long run/swim/bike – whatever.

I have and will continue to cut back on workouts for now for sure. I’m too tired to do anything else anyway.

BTW I’m so glad this forum exists!! I was ready to shoot myself with all of this. SOOO good to read other’s stories and get feedback on mine. Why doesn’t the medical establishment embrace candida????????

I’m talking about regularly running for hours at a time, like training for a marathon or something. I can’t find a reference now, but it’s been reported in a few different places. Amount of exercise and lifespan would draw a U-curve on a graph. Like with most things, it’s about finding the right balance. In terms of muscle growth and running speed/performance, less usually means more anyway, e.g. this approach to running.

Unfortunately, medicine fails people with just about any chronic disease you could name, not just candida. If you have a car crash and need your arm reattached or develop a life-threatening infection, the hospital can probably help, but otherwise you’re often on your own.

If Able’s around he can give you some links to a slightly more focused approach to treating candida.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I encourage you to email able900 for our strict forum diet; its quite different than the website…

-raster

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Flipper wrote: But now I also have a mild case of restless leg syndrome. I’m taking magnesium citrate -Calm- a couple times a day and now am wondering if I should take even more.

Acidified forms of magnesium are also a good choice and better absorbed than the oxide or carbonate.

Research study reports:

“Restless Leg Syndrome Linked To Magnesium Deficiency. Recent research has found that people with restless leg syndrome are deficient in the mineral magnesium.”

Source: Medical News Today

Another study:

“Anecdotal observations have shown that oral magnesium therapy may ameliorate (alleviate, improve) symptoms in patients with moderate Restless Leg Syndrome.”

Source: Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Albert-Ludwigs-University

IMPORTANCE OF CALCIUM TAKEN WITH A MAGNESIUM SUPPLEMENT:
    Formulas should contain a 2 to 1 ratio of calcium to magnesium or approximately twice the amount of calcium as magnesium as these two minerals support each other.

As far as your Candida is concerned, read The Protocol and decide whether or not you wish to join those who are following it. We’d be glad to help in any way possible.

Able

Javizy

I’d take some vitamin D and K2 if you take calcium, since they help metabolise it properly and avoid plaques. There was a report about some nasty effects of supplementing calcium lately, but most people are deficient in those two vitamins, so it’s not that surprising maybe.

Flipper

So…Able, do you think I should start at the beginning with a cleanse? I’ve been on this diet for about a month and a limited diet for 2 months before cutting out most fruit etc. (I’m still eating grapefruit at this point) Or can I just, kind-of, start altering my diet and anti-fungles according to your protocol? I’m awfully tired and I do have a lot of work that needs doing (I’m an artist and a mom etc. ).
    Thanks!

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Flipper wrote: So…Able, do you think I should start at the beginning with a cleanse? I’ve been on this diet for about a month and a limited diet for 2 months before cutting out most fruit etc. (I’m still eating grapefruit at this point) Or can I just, kind-of, start altering my diet and anti-fungles according to your protocol? I’m awfully tired and I do have a lot of work that needs doing (I’m an artist and a mom etc. )Thanks!

Flipper, if I were you, and knowing what I’ve learned in the past 18 months, I would go directly to the “strict” diet and stay on it for as long as I needed to.

The cleanse isn’t that necessary, especially since you’re a working mom and it’s so rough on most people. The diet is bad enough to be honest, especially in the beginning when your body is attempting to adjust to it, but it’ll help that you’ve already been on another Candida diet. You’ve just been eating some foods that were feeding the Candida, and you need to learn what to eat and what not to in order to avoid doing this. If you stick to the protocol and strict diet you will accomplish that, and you won’t have to worry about whether or not you’re feeding the Candida.

Let me know if you wish to have the stricter version of the diet.

Able

Flipper

Yes please! I want that list!
    Also, thank you so very much for all the time and work you have put into your protocol.You are very generous.
    I wrote everything down and am ready to embark! But first I’m getting some Molybdenum, wish I had known about that a month ago.

Doggiemama
    Topics: 43
    Replies: 204

As for RLS, i had always been told that it was an iron deficiency. I can tell you, i disagree with that. i think thats old news. and for what its worth, I have had RLS for 32 yrs. and it is moderate to severe. It will NEVER go away.
    there isnt but one thing i have noticed that actually helped alot. When i was pregnant, i was taking the prenatal vitamins and i didnt have any RLS symptoms. now that i am taking all of these antifungals, vitamins etc…there is something that i am taking thats helping. i am just not sure what it is.
    The possibility of whats helping me is:

Kelp
    Milk Thistle
    Ginko
    Hawthorn
    B-12

i know one night i forgot to take these and i had a bad night. Now this doesnt mean that it is one of these..but it did happen. as long as i take all my pills, it helps my legs so i can sleep thru the night. I DO have a nightly ritual that i have done for these 32 yrs. A warm/hot bath right before bedtime..just long enough to get your legs to relax..then go straight to bed and get right to sleep. laying there for 30+ minutes and tossing and turning will make it worse. you cant lay in bed and watch TV either. it is bath and bed/sleep. some nights i wake in one hour..(those are the severe nights), other nights i can sleep atleast 4 hours then i am awake. i will go back to the tub for another hot bath enough to relax…so i can get back to sleep. I dont take any RX meds. i am not big on drugs so i just live with it and deal with it and this has helped me some. but i dont think just one vitamin or herb is the fix. i think it is a combo of things.

I have never heard of the Magnesium connection before that Able is talking about.
    i hope they DO find something that works that isnt a DRUG! as far as the calcium and magnesium, that did not work for me. and it may be different with everyone and thats why they cant find a solution to the problem

as far as alot of exercise etc…that isnt good for it. Especially late in the eve before bedtime. but also not getting any exercise at all, can make it even worse. so a light to moderate exercise is good.

anyway hope that tidbit helps. It a hard thing to live with. I found that being a night owl and sleeping in the day time helped too…which isnt what most peoples schedules are. I can say i dont go to bed till i am sleepy..but i also dont stay up till I am exhausted either because that makes it much worse. its all about finding that happy medium for your own body.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Restless Leg Syndrome’ is closed to new replies.