Reintroducing Dairy Yogurt and Kefir

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Reintroducing Dairy Yogurt and Kefir

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Marbro 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 59

In November, before realized I had this yeast overgrowth, I cut out dairy and gluten in an effort to relieve my GI issues. It helped clear up some of the GI discomfort, for sure, but, of course, it didn’t totally take care of it because there was an underlying problem of the yeast overgrowth.
    When I discovered my yeast infection in early January, I began the candida diet {following these guidelines as well as food combining from Body Ecology} and incorporated antifungals and probiotic into my daily routine. Because I eventually wanted to reintroduce dairy into my diet – namely kefir and yogurt – I began making cultured coconut kefir water and cultured coconut kefir cheese from the meat of the young coconuts that contained lactobacillus, so that my gut would become populated with dairy-loving bacteria before the reintroduction of actual dairy.

The question:
    Making coconut kefir water and cheese is highly time consuming! I would like to switch to raw, organic dairy kefir and yogurt sooner than later simply because it is less time consuming to make and easier to obtain. I have completed almost 9 weeks on the diet, by digestive issues are gone and I have had a happy gut for two straight weeks. BUT I still experience bouts of die off symptoms when I take stronger doses of the antifungals.

Part of me feels I’m ready to try plain greek yogurt and the other part is weary because I love my happy gut and GI tract!

Any insights or wisdom is much appreciated.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I say give the real stuff a try and if its not a problem, then continue. However, you may want to wait until die-off subsides before starting to take them.

-raster

Hy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 59

Thanks, Raster. So maybe give it another week and then try a small cup of greek yogurt? Then maybe give it a few days before I try the yogurt again?

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Yes, give it a try and if you notice any negative changes than don’t continue taking it. Be sure to get a greek yogurt low in sugar (8-11g per serving).

-raster

orka1998
    Participant
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 673

I suggest homemade milk kefir as a first as it is less likely to bother you if you ferment it properly. Then few weeks after you are happy with kefir, try some yoghurt as well.

Since you are using antifungals, thread carefully with a dosage of kefir though and increase slowly. It could kick in die-off. I learned this hard way last week 🙂

Marbro
    Topics: 19
    Replies: 252

The comercial greek yogurt I used to buy has only 5g of sugar and taste good. My dog sunny loves it too 🙂 He also loves my home made yogurt and kefir.

http://www.greekgodsyogurt.com/html/yplain.php

I have not made coconut water kefir but regular water kefir seems easier for me to make than milk kefir. The reason is my milk kefir is done in 24 hours typically less but my water kefir ferments for 48 hours. I get a couple of cases of the 1 gallon springwater tubs from the dollar store and my 1 gallon glass glass jar for fermentation. Its just sugar, water and grains every two days and I fill 1 tub and empty another. I have enough now where I do a second fermentation for another 24 hours after I remove the grains. Less sugar in the final product that way.

Milk kefir I like but like said, its everyday and sometimes sooner, If you let it go to long it can become like cheese. And it takes more babying to me I need to move it around more. My water kefir does so well I dont worry about it at all.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Reintroducing Dairy Yogurt and Kefir’ is closed to new replies.