Redoing Cleanse?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Redoing Cleanse?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  janemary 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

CGMAN
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 4

Im currently finishing my third week on the diet and was wondering if redoing the cleanse at this point would do any harm to my
    progress. the only reason im asking is because im not sure if i did the cleanse long enough. i did the actual cleanse (option #2 the colon cleanse) off the website for three days, then did the the detox diet (option #1) for four days after that. ever since after and during the cleanse i feel really bloated and constipated. when i do go my bowel movements are small, hard and pebble like. i was wondering if it was just die off symptoms or a sign that i didnt do the cleanse effectively. any ways i was wondering if there was any thing i could eat or supplements i could take to make my bowel movements more normal. i was also wondering if i should just continue with the diet or if i should redo the cleanse. the only thing im scared of redoing the cleanse is stopping the antifungals and giving the candida a chance to become immune to them. please if any one has advice help me.

Latka
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 128

Did you use psyllium husk as part of the colon cleanse? I tried it once and got extremely constipated from it. I believe it caused me problems long after I first took it (it’s like it just hardened and stayed in the colon – yikes). And if you are already constipated I’m not sure redoing the cleanse will necessarily help. You will need enough something in your system to move stuff along. And if you are severely constipated swallowing lots of insoluble fiber may make things worse despite what people advice.

You could try taking slippery elm. At first I noticed no effect but now it’s helped me a lot. I’ve also heard that the Ayurvedic herb Triphala helps and is non habit forming (you won’t be dependent on using it). I am thinking of trying that next. Another thing I found helped was making sure I eat more fat. Instead of home made natural yoghurt I made sour cream with the same cultures and including that in my meals helped a lot. Or you could just have some coconut oil or olive oil with every meal. Another thing I find in regards to fiber is that if I take a little (max 2 tbsp) of flax seeds a day, it helps. Anything more than that and everything just stops – strange thing. Lots of raw vegetables (if they don’t irritate your system) and vegetable juices can help as well.

CGMAN

yes i did use psyllium husk and it did seem to start after using it. well thank you for the advice. one more question. is me being constipated slowing down the elimination of candida or effecting the way the probiotics or antifungals work?

Latka

Being constipated is definetely not helpful for eliminating candida. the transit time gets longer and a lot of stuff ends up just sitting in the colon and fermenting. also the dead candida will not be eliminated as quickly if you are constipated. I’ve heard that the candida that is still alive can actually feed on the dead ones, if there is no other source of food for them.

So best to resolve the constipation issues and keep things moving.

Oh and just make sure you drink enough water. One thing that helped me was juicing vegetables then mixing with 1 raw egg and sour cream, and drinking first thing in the morning. Then wait 20 minutes before eating. This is something I learned from the gaps diet for dealing with constipation.

Another trick is to have half a lemon juice and mix with 2 Tbsp of olive oil. Drink first thing in the morning. Again wait 20 mins before eating. This will increase bile production. However you should not do this for more than a week.

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

The cleanse would probably make things worse. Fasting slows your metabolism, which slows digestion and leads to constipation. Your body also needs a constant supply of glucose, and in the absence of carbs will break down lean mass to produce it, with ammonia as a by-product. If you’ve ever kissed anyone on the Atkins diet, you’ll probably be familiar with ammonia. Eat to preserve health-promoting lean mass, and try checking your basal temperature. If it’s low, then raising it could solve the constipation if it isn’t a problem you had before.

Extreme changes in diet are a shock to the system, so side-effects should be expected. What you want is stability. Your body has a lot of adjusting to do if you’ve changed your macronutrient ratios and the content of your meals. More fibre and saturated fat require more bile and beneficial bacteria. These adaptations don’t happen overnight, so start trying to get some consistency in your eating habits.

CGMAN

thanks for the advice everyone. i will definitley not do the cleanse again. so ive been doing some research on slippery elm and it seems to be ok to use on the diet. any advice on when to take it?

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

The cleanses are only meant to be done once. Theres is no reason to do it a second time. It won’t even come close to killing off all of the candida in the gut.

If you want to know why your constipated…its from the psyllium which we don’t recommend on the forum.

All I gotta ask is what was your bowel movements like before starting the diet? Weren’t you constipated and bloated during that time? All I know is that going off the diet won’t cure the constipation…

Here’s a constipation remedies post:

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst1098_Constipation-Remedies.aspx

We have a strict forum foods list if you are interested. Certain food items like rice, potatoes, corn, carrots, etc. should not be taken on the diet because they feed candida and can cause constipation.

This leads me to the next question, what is your diet like?

-raster

CGMAN

Raster
    I was constipated and bloated before the diet but got worst when I started. My bm’s are not as much when i do go, they are small and pebble like.

My diet usually goes like this
    -Breakfast,
    4 eggs cooked in extra virgin olive oil,

bowl of plain yogurt with live cultures

probiotics

-Lunch
    2 pieces of chicken which i pregrill once every couple days then heat for lunch every day.

salad with cucumber, zuchini, broccoli and olive oil mixed with cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper for a dressing

bowl of yogurt with live cultures

antifungals

-Dinner
    2 or 3 freshly grilled Beef patties wrapped with lettuce.

bowl of yogurt

some fresh zuchinni or cucumber, and broccoli

antifungals

-Right before bed

antifungals

-throughout the day snacking on some almonds or pumpkin seeds, not a lot though.

This is what my diet ussually goes like and when its not this, i hardly ever eat foods not on the foods to eat list on the website and never eat the foods to avoid

CGMAN

Raster one more question. Can i use the list in the constipation remedies link any time during the cleanse?

and one more thing i stay really hydrated everyday and drink bottle after bottle of purified water.

flailingWcandi
    Topics: 13
    Replies: 277

CGMAN wrote: My bm’s are not as much when i do go, they are small and pebble like.

Question: does food just kind of sit at the belt line (ie: lower small intestine)?

You might try using some soluble fiber (unlike psyllium husk which is unsoluble) to keep things moving as it dissolves quickly in beverages, etc.. Though, not sure what the forum thinks of using soluble fiber….

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

CGMAN wrote: Raster one more question. Can i use the list in the constipation remedies link any time during the cleanse?

and one more thing i stay really hydrated everyday and drink bottle after bottle of purified water.

If you’re constipated, get off the cleanse. You need to speed your metabolism back up to get your bowels moving. Overhyrdrating will dilute electrolytes and is as bad as being dehydrated. You’ll end up with muscle cramps and ironically being dehydrated anyway, since you can’t hold water without electrolytes (not good for constipation). Speaking of which, you’ll need to be conscious of your salt intake now you’ve given up processed foods. Remember what you put on your food is all you’re getting.

flailingWcandi wrote: You might try using some soluble fiber (unlike psyllium husk which is unsoluble) to keep things moving as it dissolves quickly in beverages, etc.. Though, not sure what the forum thinks of using soluble fiber….

Soluble fibre is great and could also be called “prebiotic”. Vegetables are the best, most diverse source, and I’d personally go for those over fibre supplements.

flailingWcandi
    Topics: 13
    Replies: 277

Javizy wrote:
    Soluble fibre is great and could also be called “prebiotic”. Vegetables are the best, most diverse source, and I’d personally go for those over fibre supplements.

Yep, you are correct. Just combed through and saw where this is touched on in the forum protocol.

Soluble Fiber is the best dietary aid used in both preventing Irritable Bowel Syndrome symptoms as well as relieving and curing IBS.

Soluble fiber food sources are:
    broccoli (lightly steamed, juiced, or raw)
    collard greens
    cabbage (lightly steamed)
    Dried beans (such as black beans and kidney beans but only if your Candida has been cured to the point of being able to have this in your diet)
    Granny Smith apples

A good fiber supplement by the name of Heather’s Tummy Fiber Pouch Organic Acacia is especially made for Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Amazon carries this supplement.

Leaky gut normally causes inflammation, for this you should build up the intestinal flora by using probiotics as well as prebiotics such as soft fibers like rice bran, oat bran and inulin or FOS.

Latka

sorry for coming back late, I have been offline for a few days…

about taking slippery elm: the package says to take it “as required”, and so I usually take 1-2 capsules 2-3 times a day. Depending on how much I feel I need it. If I haven’t had a bowel movement before 10 am I usually take 2 capsules then.

In my personal experience going too low on carbs is what stopped everything up for me. (I was never that constipated before the restricted diet). If I was able to squeeze something out it was those kinds of rabbit pebbles. I was able to get things going again by introducing more carbs (starches that I had no reactions to) and by making sure I ate enough in general. This could be just my personal problem on the diet but I was really not eating enough. And if there isn’t enough food, there will not be enough stuff to move through the colon. The point of increasing metabolism is also extremely crucial (as slow metabolism = slow transit time /constipation).

btw, eating lots of broccoli has always helped me. But I need to eat A LOT of it.

Other than that looking at your diet I wonder if eating so much protein and a lot of muscle meats (beef, chicken) might be making matters worse? You also eat a lot of yoghurt which is protein rich again. I remember reading on the gaps page that people with constipation should rather consume fattier dairy products than the ones with more protein; i.e. rather sour cream than yoghurt. I tried that: used more sour cream instead of yoghurt and it did help. Just throwing some ideas here that might be helpful.

janemary
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 2

tried coconut oil yet? my friend and i consume coconut oil pretty much every week. colon cleanse has been so easy

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Redoing Cleanse?’ is closed to new replies.