Recipes

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Hope 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Lily
    Topics: 14
    Replies: 42

I really can’t stick to this diet completely. A lot of the ingredients are so hard to come by and the ones I can find I have to order online. I have spent a small fortune this month and have little to show for it. I have tried baking with rice flour, carob powder and other ‘friendly’ things but everything tastes rubbish. I am eating the same thing all the time and find it impossibly boring. I may throw up if I eat another omelette.

A lot of these ingredients like stevia and truvia and coconut flower etc may be easier to come by in the US but in the UK these ‘alternative’ free from foods are hard to find and very expensive.

I managed 9 days on stage 1 initially then drank wine for 5 days, had 3 cups of coffee over as many days and ate 2 chocolate bars. Oral thrush returned. I began stage 1 again a week ago and yesterday tried baking a few things like muffins but they were awful. So I made a baked potato with gluten free pasta for dinner and a sauce that of course contained sugar. Oops! It was so nice having something tasty to eat for once. Of course I’m probably paying the price feeding the bacteria but I just can’t do this diet. Not as strict as it’s meant to be. I may just have to live with this forever and cope with the oral thrush as I really can’t see how I will ever get through stage 1 successfully. And is 2-3 weeks really enough anyway? I couldn’t stand the thought of eating this awful food for weeks/months on end! Looks like Candida has won.

Lily
    Topics: 14
    Replies: 42

That should be coconut ‘flour’ obviously!

ducktorwho
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 14

Have you tried almond meal/flour? It works great in recipes. You don’t have to add the extra gums and and mix flour with that one. Plus, you could make your own just by grinding almonds to a fine powder in a blender.

Also, Whole Approach (another candida diet that seems to have great success, you can google it) allows vegetable glycerin (I buy Now brand on iherb.com, it’s cheap), yacon, chicolin, and agave inulin. I’m not sure if any of those are available over there, but the glycerin works great for me.

If you decide to try making your own almond flour, check out Elana’s Pantry. She uses it as her main flour. I’ve tried a few of her recipes and they’re great (like the Pumpkin Pie Muffins in the recipe section – pumpkin’s a limit food on the WA diet, so I do eat some of it). You do have to modify them, of course, but it’s not too difficult. I usually sub glycerin for half the agave and then use stevia for the rest.

I’d get tired of eggs every morning too. For breakfast I’ve been eating popped amaranth with almond milk or Buckwheat Breakfast Bake using zucchini instead of banana. It’s somewhat bland, but filling. I quadruple the recipe and bake it a 9 X 9 pan til done.

I hope you find some recipes that work for you. It’d be rough to not have anything that tasted good.

Hope
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 187

Dear Lily, honey, I can’t make any decisions for you. But, I *can* tell you that it is possible to do this diet without stevia, coconut flour, almond flour, etc. I personally agree with you – it’s rarely been rewarding for me to bake anything on this diet. There have been a few okay foods, but I’m used to really, REALLY good baked goods *from scratch* and it just doesn’t do it for me to have some roughly the same. If it isn’t going to taste like a *really* good cookie, I don’t want the cookie, you know? The good news is, if you keep at it with lots and lots of vegetables (salads, soups, stirfrys, etc.) and possibly some lean antibiotic-free meats/eggs if your budget allows (if not, I personally would use beans on the diet 3x/week – they are cheap and far better than totally not doing the diet!), your desire for baked goods and sweets will go down. It really will! You know you don’t want to live with candida for life. It’ll get worse w/o the diet and then you’ll really be in a mess. You have to decide what you want, none of us can decide it for you, but it CAN be done! Even without all the alternative ingredients! **And we are here to support you and do it with you!!!**

Hope
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 187

Duck – that buckwheat bake is one of my exceptions! It is good! 🙂 I save it for when I really want something bready and then I make it with zucchini and carob. I throw in some spices like clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger, too. Maybe that would help it not be so bland? I haven’t had it in WEEKS, though. I actually used that recipe once for mini cupcakes when I had to go to a baby shower and knew there would be literally *nothing* I could eat. I greased the muffin tin with coconut oil and it worked out great. I’m really trying to ditch the sweet stuff at this point, though. I’m borderline hypoglycemic (which, I think was a precursor to my candida) so I’m in this low-sugar ballgame for life. I really need to retrain my mind and tastebuds to not go after the sweets so much.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Recipes’ is closed to new replies.