Reaction to hormone-free chicken

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Reaction to hormone-free chicken

This topic contains 9 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Hilary 7 years ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

nai16
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 7

Hello there! I have noticed that, at least for the last 3-4 weeks (I started the diet 6 weeks ago), I get a reaction every time I eat chicken. About 1/2 to 1 hour after consumption, I start feeling increasingly bloated and it escalates to the point that I feel like I am about to burst. It lasts for 1-2 hours, after which I get short bursts of stomach cramps, followed closely by a bad diarrhoea, which seems to finish the cycle. I have been consuming hormone-free chicken since the start of the diet (“Macro” brand from Woolworths), so it shouldn’t be a reaction to chemicals. Two important additional bits of information: I never used to get these symptoms prior to the diet, and I don’t get any similar symptoms when I eat lamb, fish or beef (even non-organic meat, as I can’t get organic meat here in the outback). So I am wondering if anyone knows of any adverse reactions to chicken caused by any of the antifungals/probiotics on this diet? I am currently taking:

molybdenum chelate
    milk thistle
    SF 722
    coconut oil
    garlic tablets (rotating)
    oregano oil (rotating)
    grapefruit seed oil (rotating)
    Candida Clear
    Vitamin C
    Multivitamin
    Probiotics 100B (Swisse)

Alternatively, could it be a reaction of the Candida infection itself, a type of “die off”?

Would be great to hear from you if you had similar experiences or know anything about this symptom! Thank you.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

My guess is that the chicken contains antibiotics and isn’t very high grade. I used to eat chicken at the cafe in my building and it gave me a reaction because it like grade C quality meat, and contained hormones and antibiotics. I stopped eating it and never again had that reaction.

Hope this helps! It’s just a hunch.

-raster

Latka
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 128

Hi there,

I have similar reactions, not to chicken but to other allowed food such as eggs. I get extremely bloated. Been wondering about it for a while and my guess is that I am not digesting proteins very well. This could be due to low stomach acidity and lack of the digestive enzymes needed. Might be the reason for your problems too and you might want to try taking Swedish bitters that Able has suggested on the forum. See if that helps. It seems to me that a lot of candida sufferers have a weak digestion (not producing enough bile, not enough enzymes to break down proteins) and this aspect needs to be addressed as well in order to get better. I’m going to try the bitters as soon as I can get hold of some.

princeofsin
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 224

nai16 wrote: Hello there! I have noticed that, at least for the last 3-4 weeks (I started the diet 6 weeks ago), I get a reaction every time I eat chicken. About 1/2 to 1 hour after consumption, I start feeling increasingly bloated and it escalates to the point that I feel like I am about to burst. It lasts for 1-2 hours, after which I get short bursts of stomach cramps, followed closely by a bad diarrhoea, which seems to finish the cycle. I have been consuming hormone-free chicken since the start of the diet (“Macro” brand from Woolworths), so it shouldn’t be a reaction to chemicals. Two important additional bits of information: I never used to get these symptoms prior to the diet, and I don’t get any similar symptoms when I eat lamb, fish or beef (even non-organic meat, as I can’t get organic meat here in the outback). So I am wondering if anyone knows of any adverse reactions to chicken caused by any of the antifungals/probiotics on this diet? I am currently taking:

molybdenum chelate
    milk thistle
    SF 722
    coconut oil
    garlic tablets (rotating)
    oregano oil (rotating)
    grapefruit seed oil (rotating)
    Candida Clear
    Vitamin C
    Multivitamin
    Probiotics 100B (Swisse)

Alternatively, could it be a reaction of the Candida infection itself, a type of “die off”?

Would be great to hear from you if you had similar experiences or know anything about this symptom! Thank you.

Looks like you are getting low quality chicken. Is it organic or free range chicken? and where are you buying it from?

marklar
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 1

Most chicken does the same to me. I don’t trust the source even when they say hormone free if I react with bloating & gas after eating the chicken. I don’t have the same problem with any other meat. And I had stopped eating chicken before learning I had Candida because of the same thing, so for me it is not caused by the diet. Chicken from a local ranch bought at a farmers market did not have the same effect, but grocery store “hormone-free/ free range” chicken has done this to me almost every time.

Bobo
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 3

I am not sure what the regulations in the outback are for chicken, but the “hormone free” label is just a gimmick. The USDA has been banned from using hormones on Poultry since 1954. It is important to look for antibiotic free, but one must understand the lingo of ‘free range” “cage free” “pasture raised” “organic”.

nai16

Oh that is interesting information you guys wrote. Yep, the chicken from Woolworths that I buy states “hormone free” but nowhere does it state “antibiotic free” – probably explaining my reaction. I will have to try to get hold of some farm-raised chicken of which I have personal knowledge that they don’t use any antibiotics, and to the same test as Marklar did.

Thanks again!

nai16

A follow up on my last post:

I just checked, the chicken sold under the “Macro” brand by Woolworths as “free range” chicken is accredited by “Free Range Egg & Poultry Australia” (FREPA), the main Australian accreditation body for poultry products. Under the “FREPA Free Range Meat Bird Standards” of their website, I found

“8. That only under veterinary direction are therapeutic antibiotics permitted.
    Treated birds must not be sold as Free Range.”

“9. That growth promoting hormones and growth promoting antibiotics are not permitted. Coccidiostats may be used under veterinary direction if Coccidiosis is regarded as a welfare issue.”

So does this mean they are allowed to sell chicken as “free range” even if they have been treated with Coccidiostats, not listed as a “theurapeutic antibiotic”? If not, this means that I am reacting to a certified antibiotic-free chicken!! I will definitely try to get hold of fresh farm chicken – if I don’t get a reaction from that, then Australia might have a problem regarding the disclosure of important information in the poultry industry.

chunfeng333
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 5

hi

chinese tradition medicine think chicken is boost inflammation ,maybe what you eated is female chicken,boost candida overgrow,chicken contain estrogen more,my experience ,you eat beef so it help you have well digest system 。i am candida sufferer 5 years ,i am 50 years old woman ,what is your symptom ?my english is terrible,

lucky

Hilary
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 25

I have also been reacting to organic chicken and turkey! I get everything from Whole Foods and I’m extremely careful, but I have had a pretty strong reaction and I’ve made certain to only have those once or twice a week (combined) and I always have a reaction. Is it the ammonia?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Reaction to hormone-free chicken’ is closed to new replies.