Questions about swallowing difficulties?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Questions about swallowing difficulties?

This topic contains 17 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Kag 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Kristy
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 14

One of my worst issues is that I have developed an inability to swallow most foods and my diet is not healthy for Candida as a result. I eat a smoothie every morning with banana, strawberry, mango, little apple juice, and water(all organic). Then I have three undercooked scrambled eggs that I can get down for protein. That is my breakfast every day(also put miralax in my smoothie). During the rest of the day I will eat cream of chicken soup, rice Chex, baby apple sauce, sometimes plain yogurt, and sometimes just plain chicken broth. My food even as mushy as it is either gets stuck or takes a really long time to get down. I have to chew my good about 50 times and have to concentrate just to get my food to go down my esophagus. Even overly cooked broccoli florets that were mashed down with a fork got stuck in my chest on the way down.

Have any of you had heart burn that eventually turned into a lack of ability to swallow foods? My problem is mostly located in my esophagus and not my throat although it does cause me some issues rarely. I definitely notice that my heart burn causes a lot of constriction in m esophagus and throat. I can’t help but wonder is this candida in my esophagus causing this issue.

Thank you for any help,
    Kristy and Nick.

goingnatural
    Topics: 38
    Replies: 249

Kristy;35694 wrote: One of my worst issues is that I have developed an inability to swallow most foods and my diet is not healthy for Candida as a result. I eat a smoothie every morning with banana, strawberry, mango, little apple juice, and water(all organic). Then I have three undercooked scrambled eggs that I can get down for protein. That is my breakfast every day(also put miralax in my smoothie). During the rest of the day I will eat cream of chicken soup, rice Chex, baby apple sauce, sometimes plain yogurt, and sometimes just plain chicken broth. My food even as mushy as it is either gets stuck or takes a really long time to get down. I have to chew my good about 50 times and have to concentrate just to get my food to go down my esophagus. Even overly cooked broccoli florets that were mashed down with a fork got stuck in my chest on the way down.

Have any of you had heart burn that eventually turned into a lack of ability to swallow foods? My problem is mostly located in my esophagus and not my throat although it does cause me some issues rarely. I definitely notice that my heart burn causes a lot of constriction in m esophagus and throat. I can’t help but wonder is this candida in my esophagus causing this issue.

Thank you for any help,
    Kristy and Nick.

Hi Kristy, yes, I can relate to swallow difficulties. As the inflammation goes down (through working with candida and food intolerances, etc,.) you should experience improvement in your swallow ability.

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

Also, the majority of what you’re eating is not candida-diet-friendly at all. There is a ton of sugar in pretty much everything you listed – fruit, cream soup, rice chex, etc. Try switching to eating a strict diet of mostly veggies, no fruit, no grains and see if it clears up.

Kristy

Our doctor wants us to take either Nexium or Prevacid to replace the 20 mg of Prilosec that now do very little to keep the heartburn under control. We have thought about this a lot and have been afraid to take anything stronger because Prilosec is bad enough as it is. Also if it doesn’t work then I won’t be able to go back to Prilosec and will just take a stronger pharmaceutical up that I might become even more dependent on. On one hand I’m wondering if switching to one of those would allow me to eat and get on a better diet, and on the other I’m worried that being on a stronger proton pump inhibitor would make my candida worse.

Also just a note I have a C677T gene mutation (MTHFR) which I tested positive for and from the list of foods I react negatively to I’m pretty sure I have a CBS pathway mutation as well. I’m sending out a test to 23 and me they are looking at many genetic factors for me. Many of the others who have my Fluoroquinolone toxicity are getting this test done as well and have a really high rate of us coming back with these gene mutations. (Fluoroquinolone=class of antibiotic) If I didn’t mention this before in this post all of my symptoms started after taking Ciprofloxacin.

I know that what I’m eating now is not healthy but I weighed in at 93 lbs today and am not keeping any weight on…….. I cannot lose anymore and have reactions to most new things I try to introduce into my highly restrictive diet. I am trying to slowly work my way up to the candida diet.

Thank you for your help,
    Kristy and Nick

Please keep this post going as I have so much to ask about this?

train21
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 21

have you ever tried eating raw kale? kale is highly anti inflammatory, this may help a little? because its highly anti-inflammatory you might be able to swallow that easier if that’s the problem.

Kristy

I have been having problems with every things I try. First thing that really bothered me was coconut oil. Just one lick of it and I started having crazy dizziness, head pressure, and felt like I was on a drug. Then I some thouroughly boiled brocolli and it made me really bad too. Then just this morning I tried olive oil and it was just a bad as the coconut oil. I don’t know what to do, I need to eat and I need to change my diet but every single things I try sends me over the edge. This has only been for the past couple of months that it has gotten this bad.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Kristy, you need to focus on the liver and healing your liver. What are you taking to heal the liver? If you don’t resolve this soon, you may have to do steroid shots, etc. to get your body in check.

I highly recommend consulting a naturopathic physician as well because you are at a critical point. It sounds like you cannot tolerate anything and this is not good whatsoever.

-raster

Kristy

I have a C677T gene mutation and am being tested for CBS mutations as well. I’m not sure i have the CBS one but after consulting with others we think its likely I do. If this is true I cannot take things like milk thistle or many other supplements or even meds. I have always been kind of sensitive to medications but only in the past few months of my life have I ever had a bad reaction to any type of food what so ever. No allergies or anything, I don’t know what to do because I can hardly swallow anything other than mush and I am not on a good Candida diet…. I weigh 93 lbs and cannot afford to lose any more weight. My regular doctors have not been of any help and I feel helpless and no one seems to be able to help me. Everything new that I try makes me so much worse, I don’t know if its die off or leaky gut, or anything else regular doctors don’t believe in. My Naturopath is very nice but I don’t feel like I really have gotten any real help and am still waiting for the candida tests he ordered to come in the mail. I know the tests are not always accurate but I just want some kind of confirmation on anything. In the meantime I’m trying to institute a candida diet and not having any luck.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Kristy;36034 wrote: I have been having problems with every things I try. First thing that really bothered me was coconut oil. Just one lick of it and I started having crazy dizziness, head pressure, and felt like I was on a drug.

This was the die-off toxins at work. You won’t be able to do any type of a real treatment until you do something to lessen the toxins excreted by the dying Candida when you’re treatment the infestation, and if you do you’re just going to make yourself sicker than you already are.
    By the way, those dreadful die-off symptoms are a clue as to just how huge your infestation really is. You should already be taking Molybdenum Amino Acid Chelate and Candidate which is made by Native Remedies to lessen the die-off, and the herb milk thistle to protect your liver from further damage. When you’ve been on these for three days, then you could consider treating the overgrowth of Candida that you have; and the problem with swallowing will only slowly begin to get substantially better as you lessen the number of Candida in your body.

I know that what I’m eating now is not healthy but I weighed in at 93 lbs today and am not keeping any weight on…….. I cannot lose anymore and have reactions to most new things I try to introduce into my highly restrictive diet. I am trying to slowly work my way up to the candida diet.

Try to understand that you’re feeding the Candida more than you’re feeding yourself. Now think about what that means as far as
    gaining weight and curing your health problems.

Let us know when you have the Molybdenum, Candidate, and milk thistle, and we can help you get started on a good protocol.
    Meanwhile, you can read the Testimonies to the Diet and Protocol.

Able

train21
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 21

Kristy;36034 wrote: I have been having problems with every things I try. First thing that really bothered me was coconut oil. Just one lick of it and I started having crazy dizziness, head pressure, and felt like I was on a drug. Then I some thouroughly boiled brocolli and it made me really bad too. Then just this morning I tried olive oil and it was just a bad as the coconut oil. I don’t know what to do, I need to eat and I need to change my diet but every single things I try sends me over the edge. This has only been for the past couple of months that it has gotten this bad.

Just so you know, I have really bad die off symptoms also. In fact, I have read a lot of stories on here and I feel my symptoms are worse then everyone else’s, the only way I can handle the dieoff is to take oxy-codone (which I also take for leg pain because I have to exercise 3 times a day to help with my anxiety)

I don’t know how the rest of your health is and if you could take something like this but you may want to consider it. The more you feed the candida, the stronger its going to get, you should not take any antifungals until you are on a correct diet as taking antifungals while eating incorrectly will make it even stronger, coconut oil is a powerful anti-fungal. I really think your going to need to take a pain killer in order to help you with the pain and help you to deal with eating a correct candida diet, if you decide to pursue this, please tell me so I can give you some pointers about what to take and not to, You should always listen to your doctor of course but I have some experience with these things that may save you some nightmares.

Kag
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 402

I had a similar swallowing problem for a year and a half when I was in my early twenties. It was some sort of hysterical dyphagia (sp?), I felt like a had a giant lump in my throat all the time. It turned out that it was due to anxiety. All I could swallow was mushy cheerios, I lost about 10 pounds very rapidly before they put me on an antidepressant/antianxiety med. It took me about a year of progressive muscle relaxation training and doing the muscle relaxation every day to get rid of it. I still have a very strong gag reflex.

Go to a heatlh food store and see if you can find a vegan, gluten free protein powder. Perhaps you can mix that with water and get some protein that way. Also, ghee is a good way to get calories and there is no lactose in it. You could soak something in melted ghee to get calories.

Also, has your doctor checked for any obstructions in your esophagus? They need to rule that out first. Also, they should check to make sure that you have no erosion in your esophagus if you do indeed have GERD. Also, something to consider with antacid medication is, in time, they actually make your stomach more acidic. They can also block your iron absorption.

I would recommend, with a doctor or naturopath supervision, starting a probiotic and a liver detox, maybe the molybdenum since you can’t do milk thistle.

Good luck sweetie, sounds like you have had a very hard time.

Kag

I just wanted to let you know that I had a horrible response to Cipro. I was on it once, about a year or so ago and thought I was going nuts after only two days! I called my doctor and said switch this antibiotic now! I felt very agressive and like I was about to snap, kind of like PMS on steroids. It was awful. I am so sorry that you are going through this.

Kristy

First I would like to thank all of you for your posts. I wish I could say this was anxiety or some other form of psychological issue, it has become blatantly clear that is not the case(just like to mention this is Nick(Kristys boyfriend). I went down this road with her before for many months and I could not find anyone with the symptoms that she is constantly going through that has PTSD or anxiety, depression, conversion disorder or any thing of the like. After many months of going to doctors appointments and never really getting any clear cut diagnosis I started to think that was the case, so I looked into it very extensively. I can say that without a doubt that once I read the stories of other people, and read the stories about people with Fluoroquinolone toxicity that she with out a doubt fits this condition to a “t”.

After a while I started to ask her doctors if they had any patients complain of the same symptoms that she has and they said not quite. I could explain more but I am positive that her reactions are not anxiety, especially because of how long they last and the lack of any fear that she has experienced prior to any of the recent things that she has tried.

As a matter of fact the only thing she was worried about with the coconut oil was weather or not it would taste good with her eggs because months before it was causing her no issues what so ever. Also before we had ever read about chemical sensitivities she took a magnesium tablet and a fish oil pill that we did not feel any fear about (because we didn’t know any better yet) and within twenty minutes her condition got out of control and really has progressed from there.

I don’t know if you guys have been tested for MTHFR or a CBS mutation but I read an article today that says it greatly increases your risk of a Candida overgrowth and because your methylation pathways and other processes that break down amino acids and things stop your body from being able to fight candida and somehow create a better environment for it. I’m still researching this topic for her and don’t know much about it but we know she has the MTHFR gene mutation. This will obviously make her situation more difficult and even the three things she has been suggested can cause some issues like the milk thistle, molybdenum amino acid chelate, and not sure about the candidate. I need to read more before I stick my foot in my mouth but it doesn’t seem like this will make getting her started on a good diet will be easy. I’m not trying to argue or even understate the importance of this issue and I will look up as much as I can so i can fix her pathways to accept the liver supplements which sound pretty necessary.

Able thank you for your posts Adeline sent you to us and for that we are so thankful. Please be patient with us and know that I will figure out how to make whatever course of action you give us work, it will just take a few little extra precautions for me to prep her system.

Kristy

Kag;36108 wrote: I just wanted to let you know that I had a horrible response to Cipro. I was on it once, about a year or so ago and thought I was going nuts after only two days! I called my doctor and said switch this antibiotic now! I felt very agressive and like I was about to snap, kind of like PMS on steroids. It was awful. I am so sorry that you are going through this.

HiI Kag thanks for your support and info. Most don’t ask that questions so nicely. I really urge you to look back at when you took cipro. Many people don’t start having there severe side effects until about 6 months after there last dose is discontinued. I know from watching Kristys reaction and also from the numerous articles I have read on Fluoroquinolone’s that even the regular medical community knows that people even young athletes have been know to have tendon ruptures as far as 6 months out. There are numerous situations and things it can effect,and it doesn’t take much. Don’t know much about your condition or if you even have a problem but I can send you some links if you would like to see if anything weird you have gone through since then may not be from candida but actually from the mitochondrial DNA damage that Fluoroquinolone’s can cause. ( they’re even used in chemotherapy because they can kill cancer cells, have shown advocacy in fighting viruses and even more, really scary crap) hopefully that is not the case for you but Kristy took only one pill last time and it was insane. The craziest part is that she had taken it before without noticing any real problems. The book bitter pill is about a women who took one pill of antibiotic Fluoroquinolone’s and went completely insane. It’s actually New York Times best seller.

Kag

There are several women on my peri-menopause website that had adverse reactions to Cipro. I asked my doctor if Cipro could be causing my agressive feelings (at the time I was taking it) and she said, no, of course not. Yet it is listed as a potential “minor” side effect. Smh… Most chemotherapies are just turbo-charged antibiotics so it doesn’t surprise me that they would use Cipro, but I will never take it again and advise my friends against it.

Thank you for your response, but I believe my problems with candida stem from a very long time ago, possibly starting when I was very young. I think I just have a predisposition to it and the diet seems to be working. I needed to eat more vegetables anyway. 😀

I hope Kristy gets some answers from somebody. And I hope we didn’t scare her away from this forum. Lots of people on here have very strong opinions and sometimes that doesn’t come across well. I think she should try whatever she can to gain some weight back. If she is allergic to a lot of things, I really recommend a vegan protein powder. We have a lot of people who come in our store with multiple allergies and can eat very little in the way of food. We also have liquid vitamins at work that seem to help people with swallowing difficulties.

I only mentioned my experience with swallowing as a related experience on how awful it can be… I didn’t necessarily mean to imply that it was psychological, only that it can be and it is horrible.

I hope that she will come back on here to seek advice. Wishing you well and sending you good thoughts.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Questions about swallowing difficulties?’ is closed to new replies.