questions

This topic contains 15 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Katy Gillett 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #64162

    Katy Gillett
    Member
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 137

    Hi all

    I was wondering if anyone could explain the whole acidity-alkaline situation to me a little? For instance I’ve read drinking some hot water with lemon each morning restores the balance and is good for candida sufferers to do- is this true?

    I’ve just been having stomach pain after mostly everything I eat, particularly cold foods (raw veg etc.) and I feel like I’ve hit a wall in my candida treatment.

    I’ve been at it for 7 weeks now and I do make alternative breads as well as eat lentils (which do not bother me but beans do so I don’t touch those).. I also eat raw carrots and the occasional sweet potato (which I also get no reaction from)… are these things are holding up my progress?

    I also found a bottle of caprylic acid at my house (350 mg) and was wondering if anyone knows how much is good to take at this point?

    Just to let you know I still haven’t confirmed I have candida – I’m just going from high scores from questionnaires, general ill health and absolutely no results from doctors in the last 6 years.

    #64164

    Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

    Hello, Katy.

    The difference between alkaline and acidic, as well as the debates concerning these, is indeed very confusing to a lot of us. The debates are usually centered on whether the human body should be mostly alkaline or acidic. The truth is that the human body rarely becomes ‘too’ acidic or too alkaline, but it does happen. The reason for that is, each of us has a built in regulator, which in a healthy body works like this: our pH is regulated by the proteins we feed the body which can release hydrogen ions. This is a response which corrects a pH imbalance. Another automatic response is, our respiration increases to blow off CO2 when we start to become too acidic, on the other hand, if we start to become too alkaline our respiration slows down to retain the CO2. All of this of course is understand normal circumstance and in a healthy body.

    If it’s a question as to whether or not parts of the body should be more acidic than alkaline and that an acidic environment is actually beneficial in fighting a Candida infestation, all we have to do is look at the list of beneficial acids that are necessary for the human body to remain healthy. For example; lactic acid, hydrochloric acid (HCL), acetic acid, citric acid, uric acid, fatty acids, amino acids, ascorbic acid (vitamin C), pantothenic acid (vitamin B5), folic acid (another B vitamin) are just a few of the beneficial acids we must have in order to survive. Pure coconut oil is always recommended for a Candida diet, and the active ingredients in the oil are Caprylic Acid, Cupric Acid and Lauric Acid. This tells us volumes about the need for an acidic environment in order to destroy the Candida infestation.

    Most adults have at the very least one health problem, and illnesses are normally due to an alkalized environment. The reason for this is because pathogens will be destroyed in an acidic environment and thrive in an alkaline environment. That’s why certain parts of the body are normally acidic, in order to protect us from pathogens (skin, sinuses, stomach, and intestines).

    Candida albicans is a pathogen, so the above is true for Candida, as it will thrive in an alkaline environment. The result of that fact is that, with a Candida infestation, you want to maintain an acidic environment in those areas where Candida normally exists, or where it has become an infestation (a balance of the pH comes into play when other areas of the body which are more alkalized are added to the equation).

    All of the areas in the body where Candida normally exists are acidic. This is so that Candida can be kept under control and prevent it from changing into a fungal form.

    Alkalizing foods are basically all fruits (other than the ones named below) and vegetables. And I realize that fruits are considered to be acid forming, but the citric acid has an alkalizing effect in the body. This is the reason that fruit is not eaten on the Candida diet, it not only contains sugar, but it also alkalizes the stomach and intestines when eaten. It’s true that alkalizing green vegetables are eaten on the Candida diet, but the benefits outweigh the negative effect in this case – that is providing you are taking high doses of probiotics which create an acidic, unfriendly environment for the Candida. The big plus with green vegetables is that they’re rich in fiber which will feed the beneficial bacteria in the body and therefore help to maintain a plentiful flora.

    Acidic foods are meats, oils, and beans. The fruits that are acidic are blueberries, cranberries, plums and prunes. Grains and corn are also acidic forming, but other factors keep these from benefiting a Candida treatment.
    By the way, you mentioned lemons; lemons are an alkalizing fruit. They work well in the beginning as a cleanse, but when the diet is started I would leave them alone or have them sparingly. After taking fairly large dosages of probiotics for a week or two and the antifungals have been started, I see no problem with introducing lemon water.

    The fact that you’re having stomach pains, which is probably indigestion, following eating raw vegetables, sounds like you’re not digesting the fiber that these are full of. Are you taking any type of digestive enzymes or have you taken them at any time since you contracted Candida?

    You said you’ve been fighting this for six years without any real relief or help from doctors, in my opinion that’s just too long to be fighting Candida if that is indeed what you are suffering from. I’m interested in what ingredients you’re using for the bread you make. You also made the statement, “I also eat raw carrots and the occasional sweet potato which I also get no reaction from… are these things are holding up my progress?” I think you would agree that obviously something is blocking your progress. In every case I’ve heard or read about where someone with Candida has been unable to cure their infestation, I’ve been able to pinpoint the reason for the hold up providing it’s a food source that is Candida friendly, and it almost always is. The sweet potatoes and carrots could easily be two of your culprits along with possibly some ‘hidden’ sugars in your diet. By the way, you may not always receive a reaction from a Candida food source, however, this does not mean that it isn’t feeding and sustaining the Candida infestation. Also, after a period of time, when the Candida has become fungal and more adaptable to changing food sources, it really takes a minimal amount of food for a Candida infestation to survive. I’ve actually heard long-time Candida sufferers say that they believe that Candida can survive on “any” type of food. It’s true that when Candida is at its worse, almost every food item seems to produce some sort of reaction. This is why trying to kill off the infestation with the diet is impossible. The environment must be changed in order to destroy it. In addition to shortening the treatment period, the diet is meant to lower the count of the Candida if for no other reason than allowing a person to be more comfortable while changing their internal environment.

    Katy, have you ever experienced die-off symptoms?

    Able

    #64167

    Katy Gillett
    Member
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 137

    Hi Able,

    Thanks for that – I was hoping you would reply! That’s a lot of information to take in and also very confusing as I’ve read so many articles on why an alkaline body is much more beneficial for us.. but this is in the context of someone without Candida… Is it different?

    You mentioned citric acid – is that allowed on the diet? I was under the impression it isn’t.

    I haven’t taken digestive enzymes – I wasn’t sure which to take. I was waiting to get back to the UK to get some advice from a naturopath or someone as I don’t have access to anyone who knows about this stuff here, but I’m so uncomfortable now I have to do something. Its 3 weeks until I return to the UK.

    I believe I have experienced die off symptoms – these are usually a fuzzy head, lethargy, headache and excessive thirst. This was when I first started the diet and when I drank a cup of pau d’arco tea and a spoonful of coconut oil. I then held back on the antifungals because I was being bothered by something else and needed to figure out what. Turned out it was my multivitamin irritating my stomach. So now I’ve re-started with pau d’arco tea (only 1 cup a day right now) and 350 mg of caprylic acid as of the other day. I have been getting headaches and thirst but not as bad as before so I’ll up the antifungals soon – should I take 700mg of caprylic acid? (the pill bottle says only take one a day but I’ve read I should be taking at least 700 mg but I then again I obviously can’t believe everything I read!!) I’ve also been suffering badly from dizziness which has been an ongoing problem for 6 months which comes and goes and the doctors haven’t been able to figure out.

    When I said I’ve had it for 6 years I mean I’ve been ill for 6 years without a diagnosis that will explain my symptoms (other than candida which as I said was only self-diagnosed)… I’ve only just really decided to take the plunge and do the diet and everything I can and fully believe I have this 7 weeks ago.

    I could try being stricter on the diet if that’s what you think holds people up. I have been eating millet, quinoa, oat bran and brown rice (but brown rice once or poss twice a week). The bread I make is from Bob’s Red Mill brown rice flour, buckwheat flour and millet flour plus eggs, baking soda, water, olive oil and a bit of sea salt (usually a combination of those flours – it varies – but brown rice flour is always the base flour). The raw carrots and sweet potato I only just recently added back into my diet and I didn’t get any worse but then again I didn’t get any better.

    The reason I kept these things in my diet is because I can’t afford meat all the time and I can’t stomach eggs that well. I’ve cut yoghurt out a couple of times too to see if that was the culprit and just restarted it yesterday so I guess I’ll see on that one. Also with the probiotics I can only find one with one strain of acidophilus in it here (it says 100 million at time of production) so again I have to wait until I’m in the UK for that one which is why I put greek yoghurt back in.

    Wow that’s a long email.. sorry about the barrage of info!! Thanks again for taking the time to reply to me…

    #64179

    NeekyNoo
    Member
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 46

    Katy Gillett wrote:
    You mentioned citric acid – is that allowed on the diet? I was under the impression it isn’t.

    Hi Katy,
    Citric acid comes from a few different sources, citrus fruit being one of them, which I believe is ok. It can also come from dairy, so if in doubt, it’s best to avoid it if possible.

    On the acid/alkaline debate; I believe we should be eating at least 80% alkalising foods. This means foods that have an alkalising effect on our bodies, so even though something maybe an acid, it doesn’t mean they necessarily have an acidifying effect on our bodies – lemons are a prime example of this. This effect is based upon the mineral content of the food and therefore the alkaline or acid effect this has on the pH of the body
    The most acidifying foods are the processed foods, those full of damaged fats and processed sugars, preservatives, sweetners and chemicals etc. The most acidifying grain is wheat, then other glutinous grains – the more alkaline are millet and quinoa (although not technically a grain)
    If your bodies is in a diseased state, then it had become too acidic. Our bodies are producing a lot of acids/toxins every day just working.. A high alkaline diet will help to keep our bodies in the healthy, slightly alkaline state, rather than slightly acidic which is more common. Eating a large amount of green leafy veg and all the veg that are on our allowed food list will help to do this.

    I try and make the main bulk of my diet non starchy veg, and now use more veg where I would have used a starchy carb e.g. Broccoli & cauliflower in a homemade pesto dressing or cabbage in a nut ‘cheese’ sauce. I do eat chicken and organic beef occasionally, and a fair bit of fish, but these are normally smaller portions.

    I hope this makes sense, I’ve found it quite difficult to put into the right words.

    Sorry to disagree with you Able!

    #64180

    Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

    Hi, Neeky.

    Don’t worry about disagreeing with me, all of us certainly have a right to our opinion, and you’re not alone with that particular opinion. But I often wonder how people who believe as you do explain the research done which proved that pathogens are destroyed in an acidic environment and thrive in an alkaline environment (I’m referring to the stomach and intestines which are known to be normally slightly more acidic).

    On a normal basis Candida may not be considered a pathogen, but Candida albicans certainly is.
    “Candida: Any of the parasitic imperfect fungi that make up the genus Candida, which resemble yeasts and occur especially in the mouth, vagina, and intestinal tract. Though usually benign, Candida can become pathogenic, causing diseases including Candidiasis and thrush.” Source, Online Encyclopedia

    Also the reason that sweat and oils on the skin create an acidic environment is so that harmful pathogens are destroyed.

    In addition to the reasons above, it’s always recommended that people with a Candida infestation should take high doses of probiotics. It’s a scientific fact that beneficial flora in the intestines create lactic acid which balances intestinal pH. Also (quote): “Micro-flora produce short chain fatty acids as a by-product of fermentation in the intestinal tract. The fatty acids are food for the mucosal lining of the intestines and are indispensable to musocal health and its optimal functioning.”

    Why does the human body naturally produce HCl (Hydrochloric acid) in the stomach?
    Here’s why: The hydrochloric acid kills most of the contaminating microorganisms in the stomach which in turn allows for easier digestion.

    You made the statement, “A high alkaline diet will help to keep our bodies in the healthy, slightly alkaline state, rather than slightly acidic which is more common.” If that’s true, why does only a very small percentage of the population have Candida infestations if ‘slightly acidic’ is more common? Considering your theory it seems that the opposite would be the case.

    Even though most people believe that Candida cannot be contracted through sexual intercourse, I’ve read blogs and forums where woman have sworn that this is how they contracted either a yeast infection or Candida, and when you know the facts, it’s not that difficult to believe. The vagina normally has an acid pH making the normal environment for the vagina acidic, but semen has an alkaline pH, so having unprotected sexual intercourse three times or more within a 24 hour period will produce an alkaline environment in the vagina, and providing other aspects are suitable, such as the normal American diet consisting of high carbohydrate foods, this makes it ideal for a Candida overgrowth or yeast infection.

    If the vagina is predominately acidic in a healthy female, and as you say, Candida thrives in an acidic environment, why don’t all women have yeast infections — all the time?

    The last reason for my belief in an acidic environment being the only real way of treating Candida is my own case. I haven’t had an antibiotic in over 15 years, and I have never eaten sugary foods or other carbohydrates such as bread or white potatoes, but my weakness was fruit which I’ve always enjoyed and had with nearly every meal and snack. After years of that diet I contracted Candida. The reason I know the cause was the large amount of fruit is because fruit is alkalizing which caused the environment (stomach and intestines) to become alkaline instead of acidic. If an alkalized environment prevents or destroys a Candida overgrowth, what do you suppose happened to me?

    How long have you had Candida, Neeky?

    #64181

    Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

    Katy Gillett wrote: Thanks for that – I was hoping you would reply! That’s a lot of information to take in and also very confusing as I’ve read so many articles on why an alkaline body is much more beneficial for us.. but this is in the context of someone without Candida… Is it different?

    Hello, Katy.

    I’m sorry, but I’m not sure what you’re asking about being different. And yes, I’m sure you’ve seen articles about an alkaline environment being important for treating Candida. But the proof is in the research and experiments. Here’s the most important fact available. “In experiments pathogens are destroyed in an acidic environment and thrive in an alkaline environment.”
    In my original post I wrote, “Candida albicans is a pathogen, so the above is true for Candida, as it will thrive in an alkaline environment.” That means that Candida is destroyed in an acidic environment.

    You asked, “I’ve read so many articles on why an alkaline body is much more beneficial for us. but this is in the context of someone without Candida… Is it different?”

    Katy, I think the first thing I would work on would be the probiotics. First you want a product that actually says “probiotics” instead of “acidophilus” because acidophilus is just one type of probiotic. A much better choice and what I used is called “Renew Life, Ultimate Flora, Critical Colon, Bifido Max, 80 Billion, 30 Veggie Caps.” In addition to the 80 billion count, it also contains 14 strains of beneficial flora. I don’t know where you are right now, but iherb.com carries these for $42.49 a bottle, and they ship to various countries. http://www.iherb.com/Renew-Life-Ultimate-Flora-Critical-Colon-Bifido-Max-80-Billion-30-Veggie-Caps/27551?at=0
    Your quote, “Turned out it was my multivitamin irritating my stomach.” This is just one of the many reasons why I never recommend a multiple vitamin to anyone, healthy or otherwise.

    You asked if citric acid was allowed on the Candida diet. What I said in the post was that citric acid is one of the beneficial acids necessary for the human body to remain healthy, and not that it’s a supplement that’s used for Candida treatment. But actually citric fruits aren’t the only foods that citric acid is found it. It’s also in tomatoes, cayenne peppers, and lettuce. It’s also used in certain types of cheese to help clot the milk quicker.

    You said that you didn’t take digestive enzymes and you’re having digestive problems. This part of a Candida treatment can be tricky, and most sufferers end up using the wrong kind which can cause more harm than good. Certain enzymes available are not naturally made by the human body, but yet they are put in many enzyme supplements unnecessarily. In addition, some of them can actually end up feeding the Candida and thus prolonging the treatment period and cure. The most useful digestive bitters I’ve found is something called “Digestive Grape Bitters” and this is the exact name you want to look for if you get it.

    The dosage suggested on the bottle is not necessary because the bitters work simply by nerve stimulation. When the bitter tasting herbs come into contact with the bitter receptors on the back of the tongue the bitter receptors are stimulated. This in turn stimulates the vagus nerve, which increases levels of stomach acid, bile and pancreatic enzymes. The bitters also have a cleansing effect on the liver so it is important to drink plenty of water throughout the day when using them to prevent a strong detox reaction. Since the whole principle is to stimulate the bitter receptors you only need to be able to taste the bitterness of the herbs. 1/2 of a dropper on the tongue before meals or after meals is enough to do the job.
    iherb.com also carries this product. http://www.iherb.com/Planetary-Herbals-Digestive-Grape-Bitters-8-fl-oz-236-56-ml/19147?at=0

    Since your CA capsules are 350 mg each, I think building up over a week or so to three a day and then adding another one several days later until you reach six a day would suffice, some people take as much as three capsules per mill. It’s best to spread them out and take two with each meal by the time you’re taking six. I didn’t take the CA capsules myself; most of the time I used organic coconut oil instead. The next time you purchase these I would look for the time-released type.

    As far as die-off is concerned, there are two products that will greatly reduce the symptoms of die-off as well as protect your body from the toxins that are released during die-off. They’re Molybdenum and Candidate by Native Remedies. IHerb carries Molybdenum, but not the Candidate, if you want it you can go to http://www.nativeremedies.com.

    It’s too bad you can’t tolerate eggs, they were my main protein source during the diet. Do you eat fish?

    Hope your evening is going well.
    Able

    #64214

    Katy Gillett
    Member
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 137

    Hi Able and Neeky Noo, thanks for both your replies. Sure is confusing. I hope you don’t mind me asking Able – what is it that you do for a living? I just ask to see if you’re a scientist/doctor of some sort or has all your knowledge been gained through beating candida?

    After reading your posts to other people I’ve searched high and low for different probiotics, digestive grape bitters, oil of oregano and Candidate by Native Remedies but unfortunately they don’t seem to have any of these in Bahrain. The postal system here is not reliable and as I’m heading back to the UK in 3 weeks I figured I’d hold off until then, but obviously there’s still the mean time.. I’m sure you understand where I’m coming from here!

    I found Molybdenum and took that but it was around the time I had to take all my supplements out and replace one by one until I figured out the culprits which were making me worse. I’ve still to reintroduce that one.. that’ll be either tomorrow or Friday.

    I did find an organic shop yesterday however, that I never knew about and found a few promising looking Candida remedies – one being Threelac… I’d be interested to know what you think of this product Able?

    The other was this product – http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Life-Omega-Zyme-Digestive-180-Count/dp/B000GWKA2A. Garden of Life Digestive Enzyme Blend. And a hydrochloric acid supplement (HCL plus).

    I didn’t buy them as I wasn’t sure and didn’t want to waste money. Should I wait until I’m in the UK to buy better products?

    Also, I’d like to know what your thoughts were on my current diet? Should I be stricter? And what about the bread recipe I use? I’ve found myself literally addicted to it however, so I am considering cutting out the bread but I find it so helpful in terms of snacks!

    I do eat fishy.. of the oily variety but only 3 times a week due to concern of mercury levels. I tend to go for sardines, mackerel, occasional tuna or salmon fillet. But obviously only 3 meals a week doesn’t help much! I eat chicken too and almonds. Eggs I will have but only occasionally. In fact I’ve found if I eat a food, any food, consecutively I will feel ill after it the second time. Whether this is coincidence or not I don’t know but I try as hard as possible to stick to a four day rotation diet which again poses many problems in trying to keep out grains and thinking up foods! I really don’t want to add red meat back into my diet too.

    Katy Gillett wrote:
    Thanks for that – I was hoping you would reply! That’s a lot of information to take in and also very confusing as I’ve read so many articles on why an alkaline body is much more beneficial for us.. but this is in the context of someone without Candida… Is it different?

    Oh and with that I was just asking whether someone without Candida is better off with an alkaline environment whereas someone with Candida is better off with a more acidic environment? Or at least would need to acidify more because they are too alkaline?

    I’m also interested to know how long it took you to beat your candida infestation Able?

    And one more question sorry! You say that blueberries, cranberries etc are acid-forming.. I’ve noticed these on some candida food lists and not on others and I wonder whether they would not be more beneficial in the diet because of their properties. I know they contain natural sugars but so does yoghurt but the pros outweigh the cons. Or am I missing the point here?

    Anyway thanks again for replying! Hope I haven’t bombarded you with questions too much!!

    #64218

    Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

    Katy Gillett wrote: Hi Able and Neeky Noo, thanks for both your replies. Sure is confusing. I hope you don’t mind me asking Able – what is it that you do for a living? I just ask to see if you’re a scientist/doctor of some sort or has all your knowledge been gained through beating candida?

    Hello, Katy. In response to your question above, I’m neither a scientist nor a doctor. However, I own a business, which, even though it keeps me busy, at least it allows me a little freedom to also do what I’ve been doing for the past 15 years which is studying and researching herbs, vitamins and minerals as alternatives to specific prescription medications. Of course, while researching and even experimenting with these supplements and herbs I found that I needed to take courses on human anatomy and the body’s response to various diseases as well as prescription medications.

    By the way, I do understand your problem with obtaining products while in Bahrain.

    Concerning stopping the Molybdenum; if you’re still experiencing die-off symptoms I would consider adding this back as soon as possible. Please keep in mind that Molybdenum is an essential trace mineral. It’s normally found in the human body in the liver, kidneys, and bones because we receive a small amount of Molybdenum from the foods we eat, such as; cereal and grains, beans, and dark green leafy vegetables. A deficiency of Molybdenum is known to be associated with gum and mouth disorders as well as cancer. So once you start taking it again, you can do so with the knowledge that it is essential to the health of each of us, and is especially needed as long as you have Candida and are experiencing die-off symptoms.

    The Garden of Life Enzyme blend is an example of why we should try not to purchase the actual enzymes themselves. Remember I wrote that the Grape Bitters are ‘natural’ and therefore when the bitter taste comes into contact with the receptors on the back of the tongue the bitter receptors are stimulated which in turn allows the body to make its own enzymes in exactly the amounts that it needs for proper digestion. A capsule containing the actual enzymes can’t do this. Plus, when we take the enzymes themselves, we’re basically telling the body we no longer need it to make our enzymes for us, and the body often will automatically stop all production of its own enzymes, which is not what we want.
    In addition, the Garden of Life enzymes contain the enzyme cellulase which will break down two of the enzymes we get in vegetables, and the by-product of the breakdown is a sugar which will feed the Candida, so you want to avoid purchasing any supplement which contains either cellulase or hemicellulase.

    If you purchase a Hydrochloric acid supplement (HCL), be sure to buy “Betaine HCL” as it’s more potent and more likely to do exactly what you need it to do.

    Also, if you’re going to eat fruit on the diet, I would eat only the blueberries in very small amounts just a few times a week for a while at least, and then you could try adding something like half of a Granny Smith apple occasionally.

    You wrote, “I was just asking whether someone without Candida is better off with an alkaline environment whereas someone with Candida is better off with a more acidic environment? Or at least would need to acidify more because they are too alkaline?”

    Let me explain the natural pH balance which is normally in the human body. There’s a huge misconception about the acidic and alkaline balance in the body, and it all stems from the way our pH is normally tested. The way that’s done is to test either the blood, urine, or saliva, and all three of these are normally more alkalized. So many people assume that the entire body is and should be more alkalized than acidic. But this is not necessarily true.

    The only way to get a true picture of the pH of the human body is to look at one section at a time, because some parts are naturally more acidic than others, and some more alkaline than others. So if you did a pH check on the individual parts of the body this is what you’d find:

    The skin is naturally more acidic, and so is the vagina. Both the stomach and the digestive system normally have a highly acidic environment. However, the blood is naturally more alkaline as are some other parts of the body. So this is why it’s so misleading to make a claim that the human body itself should have a certain pH balance, or that it should be more of one than the other because it really all depends on which part of the body you’re talking about.

    The reasons that a more acidic environment is natural and needed in certain areas of the body are because, for one, the skin is more acidic because it has to protect itself from environmental factors such bacteria and toxins. The vagina also maintains an acidic environment for protection, and when the pH balance goes too high (too alkalized), yeast and bacterial infections can be the result.

    The stomach and digestive system are normally highly acidic because the digestive acids are part of the process of digesting and utilizing the foods we eat as fuel, plus the acidic environment protects us from such things as fungal infections in the digestive system. When the digestive system becomes too alkaline because of eating too many alkalizing foods such as fruit (guess who’s guilty), then yeast is allowed to grow and Candida is often the result. Of course, too many of the foods that the yeast live on such as sugar and simple carbohydrates can also cause yeast to overgrow.

    You wrote, “I’d like to know what your thoughts were on my current diet? Should I be stricter? And what about the bread recipe I use? I’ve found myself literally addicted to it however, so I am considering cutting out the bread but I find it so helpful in terms of snacks.”

    I would first substitute coconut flour for the brown rice flour, at least for several weeks. The reason I say this is because the comparison between white and brown rice as far as the amounts are concerned are close to being equal, so I would assume the same is true for the flour. This is the comparison I’m talking about:

    Amount of carbs:
    Brown rice: 49gr
    White rice: 49gr

    Glycemic index:
    Brown rice: 59
    White rice: 69

    Percentage of starch:
    Brown rice: 77
    White rice: 79

    The buckwheat flour I think is fine. Basically the diet that a person with Candida should follow is the diabetic’s diet minus most of the complex carbohydrates allowed on their diet. To me that means looking at the glycemic index of any food that may be questionable. The glycemic index of the millet grain is 71, so I would imagine it’s even a little higher in the flour since it’s broken down. To compare that number, the GI number of most vegetables is 15, and the GI of a boiled potato is just 56. So personally, I’d leave the millet out of my diet.

    About the ThreeLac product; this is basically just a probiotic of course. The problem I have with it is that it contains only three strains of probiotics. More strains in your probiotic would be more beneficial. I think I mentioned Ultimate Flora Critical Colon BifidoMAX 80 Billion 14-Strain Probiotic capsules. I don’t know if you’ll be able to find this product or anything else with that many strains or count offline or not, but you can order it from iHerb if you need to after you return to the UK.

    Your quote, “I’m also interested to know how long it took you to beat your candida infestation.”

    When I first realized I had Candida I immediately started the diet to the full degree that I thought was necessary. I was also taking probiotics, oil of oregano, garlic, and several prebiotic herbs. It didn’t take very long to reach the point where I was experiencing zero symptoms, so as most people do, I slowly started introducing new foods such as sweet potatoes, dried beans, and almond butter. But within just a few weeks I was completely back to square one with the symptoms, so the second time I started the full treatment I decided I wouldn’t go off the diet just because the symptoms disappeared. I also tripled the count of probiotics, increased the amount of oil of oregano, and then added Molybdenum and Candidate for the die-off because I knew my plan would mean worse die-off symptoms; but I wanted to be rid of the Candida more than anything else so this is the course I chose.

    The second time it took about the same amount of time to experience zero symptoms, but considering the length of time it takes most people, it was extremely short. All in all, counting the first and second times I fought it with the full dosages of antifuntals and the strictest diet, the time period was about three months. In other words, it probably took me about six to seven weeks to reach the no-symptom point both times. Actually the first time was a bit longer, but I don’t count the first two weeks on that first try because I spent most of that time hunting out hidden triggers such as toothpaste, table salt, and those ‘extra’ ingredients in different supplements. I also needed to research any interactions between the herbs and the different supplements and antifungals I used. It also took me a few weeks to get away from that cup of coffee (caffeine) in the mornings and ice tea during the day. Even Stevia presented a problem for me, but when I switched to Truvia I had no further problems. The second time I started the treatment none of that was necessary.

    I’m really sorry that this is so long, but I wanted to address all of your questions as clearly as possible.

    Take care, Able.

    #64230

    Katy Gillett
    Member
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 137

    I just typed a huge response to this and annoyingly it got lost in cyber space!! Well here we go again…

    Hi Able, please don’t be sorry as I truly appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. I need all the help I can get right now!! So thank you for that.

    I’m slowly beginning to understand more and more and what you have said makes a lot of sense of course. It looks like the products on offer in Bahrain offer me the bare minimum in what I need so I will wait until I get back to the UK to order to products you suggested. Thanks.

    The coconut flour is another product I’ve searched high and low for since reading your mention of it but my hunt was unsuccessful unfortunately. Something else to order when I’m back :). Today I made a bread with buckwheat flour, ground and cooked quinoa and desiccated coconut among other things. Not as yummy as the other breads I’ve made but that’s better as I won’t eat as much of it!! Anything to keep my energy up right now is good.

    Another question (sorry) I do have is how do I find out the GI of a food? I’ve been using an online database but are these reliable? I find them rather confusing…

    Yet another, more important, question I have is do you have any tricks up your sleeve to treat dizziness Able? Next to gastro problems and brain fog this is one of my main symptoms and possibly the worst. I’ve had it for 6 months now, seen 1 GP, 2 ENTs and 1 neurologist who collectively prescribed 4 different prescription drugs used to treat common dizziness/vertigo issues. None of these even made a dent in it. The diet has done nothing to help either, even when it has helped all my other symptoms. I haven’t had an MRI but the neurologist said after the consultation he couldn’t see a clear link to a brain problem and said he was 90% sure it would be clear (I will have one in the UK though – its just very expensive here). The ENT said he couldn’t see a clear sign for it being an inner ear problem either, particularly as I didn’t respond to any of the drugs. He put it down to stress and sent me on my way. In your experience Able could this be to do with the candida overgrowth? It is more of a vertigo than lightheadedness and often feels as though I’m wearing a band around the sides and base of my skull. There is a pressure there too, and in the ears. It is at its worst in the evenings (though I do sometimes get it during the day, but I’m always fine in the morning) and sometimes I have to go straight to bed after work because I can barely stand. Any ideas on this and possibly on how to alleviate this at all?

    Sorry to bombard you again but I am genuinely thankful that you take the time to not only reply to my posts but everyone else’s as well. It’s very kind 🙂

    On another note I wonder how Hope is doing as I haven’t seen a post from her in a while…

    #64232

    Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

    Katy Gillett wrote: On another note I wonder how Hope is doing as I haven’t seen a post from her in a while…

    Hi, Katy. I think Hope may be taking some time off to deal with the problems she talked about. I hope she’s doing well, it would be nice to hear from her.

    Amazon has Bob’s Red Mill coconut flour as well as a lot of other products you may eventually look for, but I understand you’ll have to wait until you go back to the UK for this. Will you be returning to Bahrain again?

    Talking about your dizziness; well, first there’s a definite difference between vertigo and a dizzy feeling.

    With actual vertigo it’s pretty hard to even stand up and walk. However, with dizziness you can usually stand and walk carefully, or perhaps hold onto something if necessary. This is sometimes impossible with vertigo.

    Vertigo symptoms include feeling like the room is sinking or falling, the entire room at one time can appear to spin either quickly or slowly, and the objects in the room as well. Vertigo can be caused by many things, anemia, blood pressure (high or low), head injuries, allergies, lack of oxygen to the brain, nutritional deficiencies, infections, stress, blockage in the ear canal, middle ear infections, and even excess wax in the ear. One other possible cause brings me to a question, how long have you been in Bahrain? By the way, Katy, have you been in Bahrain for a long time? I asked because a change of atmosphere can also be a possible cause of vertigo.

    I’m not sure what you’re taking at the moment as far as antifungals, but dizziness can be a symptom of die-off. If I remember correctly, you haven’t been able to obtain the Molybdenum or the Candidate yet. Once you get these or at least one of them, it may help the dizziness. As far as an herb goes, ginger is often used to stop dizziness, but the cure may depend on the cause.

    As far as finding the GI of different foods; some of the charts vary, but a pretty good one is on the South Beach Diet website. http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/glycemicfoodchart.htm

    Take care, Able.

    #64243

    Katy Gillett
    Member
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 137

    Hi Able,

    Thanks for the tip on the coconut flour.. I will order it in the UK.. Weird they don’t have it here though as they have plenty of Bob’s Red Mill products around. This is probably the only flour they don’t have!!

    I do plan on returning to Bahrain after a few months.. I have to have some surgery which is why I decided to take the plunge and move back to the UK for a while and really focus on kicking this candida into shape. There I can get cheaper products, free health care, and the help I need! Not to mention my family is there which is always a plus when you’re ill I’m sure you’ll agree!

    I guess I use the wrong word describing it as dizziness then.. it is definitely vertigo as I experience everything you described. I often feel as though I’m going to fall because the world ‘moves’ when I’m walking, objects ‘shake’ and the room spins when I’m not even moving. But it also happens when I move my head a certain way sometimes. As I said sometimes I literally can’t stand and have to go straight to bed. And then sometimes I get lightheaded on getting up. I think these are separate issues though as I’m just on the border of being anaemic and I am apparently deficient in b12 and folic acid. I’ve been taking b12, folic acid and iron for about 2 weeks though and nothing has changed.

    I have actually been in Bahrain 21 years and Saudi Arabia for 3 (I’m 24) so I grew up here. But it is interesting you say that as this all started in December when I went from Bahrain to Hong Kong for a few days, back to Bahrain for a couple of days and then onto England for a couple of weeks where it was FREEZING. I am not at all used to that type of cold, having not been back to England by then in around 2-3 years. I also got stomach flu while I was there so I’m sure that didn’t help the dizziness. In fact I do get the feeling I could have had an inner ear problem due to a virus which was solved by the drugs they gave me but there were other reasons for my dizziness/vertigo.

    In terms of antifungals right now I’m only one one tablet of caprylic acid a day (350mg) and I was drinking Pau d’Arco tea (one cup a day) but I’ve stopped that as I was experiencing such bad stomach cramps and vertigo that I wanted to cut back a bit. For me it seems this is going to be a very slow process. 7 weeks in and this is only where I am…. Obviously taking your advice into account I’ve taken out the brown rice and brown rice flour, plus millet and millet flour… I am working on taking the grains out altogether but for now keeping quinoa and buckwheat in there, plus oat bran because of the prebiotics. Or do you think I should take these things out now too?

    I did manage to find the molybdenum and have put that back into my diet – one drop a day so I’m hoping some of these symptoms will ease up now! I just got sick from eating some avocado though.. think I just ate more than I should have though as its just the texture that turns my stomach. The same happens when I eat hard boiled eggs.

    Thanks for the link for the food chart.. it’s very interesting.

    And I agree, it would be nice to hear from Hope! I hope you’re ok there 🙂

    Best wishes, Katy

    #64247

    Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

    Hello, Katy.

    I’ve read your post, but I’m afraid I have a luncheon appointment that I have to get to, but I’ll definitely answer your post sometime this afternoon when I return.

    Later, Able

    #64253

    Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

    Hello, Katy. Nice post, very informative.

    I don’t blame you at all for going back to the UK for your surgery; the environment there sounds much more beneficial to your plans for the future.
    Speaking about the vertigo: The probiotics may help that in the long term as a lot of times different B vitamins can be a cause, and the probiotics will build the B in your system.

    Coenzyme Q10, or CO-Q10, at 60 mg a day can improve the circulation to the brain.
    The herbs that are normally used for dizziness and vertigo are: Butcher’s broom, cayenne, chaparral tea, dandelion extract or tea.

    Vertigo can be attributed to chronic sinus allergies as well, which is why my father suffers from it if he doesn’t keep the allergy in check. Supposedly something called Veramyst nasal spray and allergy medications have a chance of helping it. So I suppose the first questions is, do you have sinus allergies, if not, I suppose that route is out.

    In rare cases the normal dizziness that usually comes with die-off can become strong enough that it’s referred to as vertigo.

    Even though you don’t think it’s the cause, you mentioned an inner ear problem in your post. You might find the following article of interest. http://www.tchain.com/otoneurology/disorders/bppv/bppv.html
    If the link doesn’t work for you, you can copy and paste it to your web address space.

    Have a great weekend.
    Able

    #64295

    Katy Gillett
    Member
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 137

    Hi Able,

    Sorry it took me such a long time to reply to your post. I had no internet over the weekend.

    Thanks for the advice.. I can’t wait to get my hands on some good probiotics then! CO-Q10 I’ve found but its extortionate here so again will have to wait to get back to the UK. I don’t think its die off because I had it when I wasn’t on the diet too – for 7 months now.

    I’m also not sure about sinus allergies – although I do sneeze quite frequently. But that’s about it. I don’t often get colds or anythign at all. But do get a runny nose quite often, particularly after I eat.

    The BPPV was mentioned by the neurologist actually and I guess this one makes the most sense,. it just confuses me because I only very occasionally feel dizzy or vertigo when I change my head position, though it is worse if my head is upside down or something… but I feel better when I lie down. I guess everyone is different though!

    I think I am trying to detect hidden allergies though so this could also be it…

    Would you disregard it being due to stress?

    Oh also, after all this time I found oil of oregano in capsules!! But they have beeswax in them – is that ok?

    I hope you had a great weekend Able. Just going to read other posts now and continue my learning 🙂

    #64299

    Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

    Hi, Katy.
    Sorry I wasn’t able to reply to your post when I was on earlier today, but another meeting was calling.

    To answer your question about the beeswax in the oil of oregano capsules, it’s fine.

    You asked, “Would you disregard it being due to stress?”
    I suppose really just about anything is possible with stress. Unfortunately stress is a drain on the adrenals which are normally already weakened by the Candida infestation. Ashwagandha is one of my favorite multi-purpose herbs. It’s a popular and useful herb from India and most known for its ability to decrease stress, but it’s also used to improve the memory, reduce inflammation, and is an antioxidant. As far as the dosage for Ashwagandha is concerned, you can start with 2 capsules, one in the evening and one at bedtime. Not only does it help to lessen stress, but since it’s a calming herb, it can also help you sleep better by decreasing the cortisol in your system.

    When you go back to the UK I would look for liquid oil of oregano which is much more potent than the capsules. A perfect brand is North American Herb “Oreganol” (note spelling) Super Strength Oregano Oil. It’s a certified wild oregano blend from the Mediterranean, and is more concentrated than the standard strength oil. Be sure that the one you choose is pre-blended with olive oil or you’ll need to mix it each time you take a dosage. The olive oil is added because of the oregano oil’s high concentration. Even though the drops are always taken mixed in a glass of water, the taste is sometimes still too strong for some people. If this is the case you can purchase empty capsules from a pharmacy and place the drops inside the capsules.

    Able

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘questions’ is closed to new replies.