Question regarding homemade Kefir kits

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Question regarding homemade Kefir kits

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  kodaz2005 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

kodaz2005
    Topics: 37
    Replies: 172

I was reviewing Able’s protocol and I will soon be needing to start taking homemade Kefir. So I want to order mine in the next few days.

I noticed the mention of Body Ecology starter kits. I tried to do some research and this one seems to get bad recommendations on Amazon. I guess there are some other ingredients mixed in with it. Would it be better to get Kefir Grains online and make you Kefir from that instead? Much of the information I read was from people claming actual kefir grains are superior, but I don’t understand why or if it’s true.

I tried to educate myself regarding this because the Kefir seems to be a very important step, but obviously many of you know better what would be the best choice. I appreciate any advice.

Also, I noticed that you need to use Whole milk to make the Kefir along with the kit. I would think that would definitely not be a good idea, since that would be loaded with sugars. Would it be better if use a store bought sugar free Almond milk Or sugar free coconut milk?

Thanks in advance,

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

I used Body Ecology starter kits throughout my treatment, possibly for as long as a year with only one problem. That was when I purchased a box from Amazon instead of directly from the Body Ecology website. Every time I used a packet out of that box, the kefir would not ferment no matter what I did. This was a sign that the starter was old.

I also read the reviews on Amazon; one particular gentleman argued that the starter kits were not ‘real’ kefir, but I would have to disagree with him. One sign that you have actual fermented kefir is being able to use a starter from an old batch to make a new batch; this is possible with the starter kits.

It’s really all about convenience, time, preferences and opinions; in other words, use the type that you are most comfortable with. I cured myself of all symptoms while using the starter kits, so it would be difficult for me to say anything negative about them. However, this being said, I would agree that the pure grains make a stronger kefir.

You mentioned whole milk being a problem; there is only a minimum amount of sugar left in the end product if the fermentation period is long enough. If you use the starter kits, ferment the kefir longer than suggested, this can be up to 36 hours.

Able

kodaz2005

Thanks for the detailed reply Able.

I also did want to mention that one of the initial reasons I believe I gave up on my first try to combat what I believed was a Candida infestation, was the conflicting allowed foods information that is on the website. I would buy a food, eat it for a week and then find out from the forum the food could feed the yeast and shouldn’t be allowed.

The detailed list you put together is really great! I feel this gives us a detailed road map of exactly what we need to do to combat this problem. Thanks for putting that together. I find it that it really gives us a better chance to succeed.

weehen
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 18

If you are sensitive to milk, what about trying water kefir? I recently tried this, and I am a convert!

This is what I did:
    – bought 2 Grolsch beers (hubby drank those, as I am gluten-free) – I just wanted the bottles – they are perfect for water kefir
    – ordered Water Kefir grains from the Cultures for Health website, along with a small sieve for catching the grains after each use
    – I already had a few 1 quart canning jars
    – I use a couple of coffee filter papers and a rubber band to cover each jar to keep out insects attracted to the sweet stuff while it is brewing
    – I found a good spot in my house with the right temperature – kefir doesn’t like to get too hot (I am in a tropical place)
    – I just used up whatever sugar I already had, and when that ran out the best I could get was raw, unrefined brown sugar, so I now use that

I just followed the instructions in the Cultures for Health videos and rehydrated my grains and started making batches.

Water kefir is not that nice plain, but I love it with a good squeeze of fresh lemon. I’ve tried smashing up ginger and letting that sit in the bottles for a few days too, and it is quite ginger-beer-ish.

If you leave the water kefir to brew on the longer side, or get a good strong batch of grains going, the resulting brew can be quite fizzy. I love it!
    Total setup cost for me was very low, and so long as I care for them, I have water kefir grains indefinitely.

kodaz2005

Thanks, weehen. I’m ok with using milk for the Kefir. I think it seems Kefir grains seem to be a better choice.

Many say you should not use pasteurized milk, but rather raw milk. I imagine I would need to find a local farm to accomplish that. Does anyone know if this is really necessary?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Question regarding homemade Kefir kits’ is closed to new replies.