Protein Shakes

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Protein Shakes

This topic contains 15 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  benc 7 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

sammcl
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 151

Is there any brands that come with recommendation from anybody?

I’ve started with more gym work and would like to take on extra protein straight after a session.

I’m thinking maybe something like this: http://www.pulsin.co.uk/protein-powders/hemp-protein/hemp-protein-1kg.html

benc
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 419

I’ve looked into this as well, as like you I need something convenient after training, i’m a PT.

The best supplement you can get post workout is organic grass fed whey protein, but I’m not sure if that would work with candida.

I look into hemp, despite the fact its suppose to have an awful taste, but I thought the carb profile of it was quite high. Pea protein has a lower carb profile, as does brown rice protein isolates, but its very hard to find unflavoured in the latter, & again I’m not sure if either of the 2 don’t work well with candida.

You might be better off taking BCAA, then get a solid meal inside you asap.

sammcl

benc wrote: I’ve looked into this as well, as like you I need something convenient after training, i’m a PT.

The best supplement you can get post workout is organic grass fed whey protein, but I’m not sure if that would work with candida.

I look into hemp, despite the fact its suppose to have an awful taste, but I thought the carb profile of it was quite high. Pea protein has a lower carb profile, as does brown rice protein isolates, but its very hard to find unflavoured in the latter, & again I’m not sure if either of the 2 don’t work well with candida.

You might be better off taking BCAA, then get a solid meal inside you asap.

I’ve been getting liquid egg whites down me straight away – they actually don’t taste half bad straight out of the bottle!

What are you taking right now?

Can anyone else recommend anything?

benc

I took pea protein isolates (which only has 3.2g of carbs per serving), with some green powders (not wheatgrass), cinnamon, chicory coffee, stevia, glutamine, & magnesium. It doesn’t taste amazing, but thats how it is at the moment.

I’ve never tried liquid egg whites raw, its always turned my stomach the thought of drinking it tbh. But I might give it a go though. Did you find somewhere to get organic bottles?

I am a PT by trade, so it was nice to be able to get back to training. Today was the 1st time I’ve felt like I could in 3 weeks. I decided to do high volume with giant sets to get a sweat on (which will help expel toxins), & not overload my CNS with heavy loading, so not to get too tired post training.

sammcl

benc wrote: I took pea protein isolates (which only has 3.2g of carbs per serving), with some green powders (not wheatgrass), cinnamon, chicory coffee, stevia, glutamine, & magnesium. It doesn’t taste amazing, but thats how it is at the moment.

I’ve never tried liquid egg whites raw, its always turned my stomach the thought of drinking it tbh. But I might give it a go though. Did you find somewhere to get organic bottles?

I am a PT by trade, so it was nice to be able to get back to training. Today was the 1st time I’ve felt like I could in 3 weeks. I decided to do high volume with giant sets to get a sweat on (which will help expel toxins), & not overload my CNS with heavy loading, so not to get too tired post training.

Haha I was gagging before I tried it, but it goes down like milk!

MyProtein sell it – liquid egg whites, about 30 quid

benc

sammcl wrote:

I took pea protein isolates (which only has 3.2g of carbs per serving), with some green powders (not wheatgrass), cinnamon, chicory coffee, stevia, glutamine, & magnesium. It doesn’t taste amazing, but thats how it is at the moment.

Haha I was gagging before I tried it, but it goes down like milk!

MyProtein sell it – liquid egg whites, about 30 quid

I didn’t think they did organic, will try some next time I order from them 🙂

sp1543
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 57

sammcl wrote: Is there any brands that come with recommendation from anybody?

I’ve started with more gym work and would like to take on extra protein straight after a session.

I’m thinking maybe something like this: http://www.pulsin.co.uk/protein-powders/hemp-protein/hemp-protein-1kg.html

Use the MyProtein website. Very good quality supplements and cheap because it’s all sold online and they use plastic ziploc bags instead of more costly containers.

Go for something with no sugar in (obviously) and steer clear of sucralose also.

If you want whey then get the whey isolate so it’s lactose free (mostly) or, if you want a better effect, then get BCAA powder and use some kind of fruity concentrate (like robinson’s squash) to make a drinkable beverage with it.

I’m pretty sure MyProtein’s sweetner of choice is sucralose; so, if that affects you, just get unflavoured and mix with some robinson’s squash sweetened by acesulfame K or aspartame instead.
    🙂 Good luck.

-Kyle

sammcl

Kyle wrote:

Is there any brands that come with recommendation from anybody?

Use the MyProtein website. Very good quality supplements and cheap because it’s all sold online and they use plastic ziploc bags instead of more costly containers.

Go for something with no sugar in (obviously) and steer clear of sucralose also.

If you want whey then get the whey isolate so it’s lactose free (mostly) or, if you want a better effect, then get BCAA powder and use some kind of fruity concentrate (like robinson’s squash) to make a drinkable beverage with it.

I’m pretty sure MyProtein’s sweetner of choice is sucralose; so, if that affects you, just get unflavoured and mix with some robinson’s squash sweetened by acesulfame K or aspartame instead.
    🙂 Good luck.

-Kyle

So this one would be good? http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/impact_whey_isolate

I’m thinking I may introduce this in a few more weeks time…..

xday2dazex
    Topics: 81
    Replies: 108

Are there any drawbacks to BCAA at all? It looks like a really good product and you can get it as powder with no additives or in capsules with only vegetable cellulose. I’m in stage one. Would it be safe to try?

benc

I would go for the capsule as the powder doesn’t mix with water plus it taste horrible. Look for a product with a 4:1 ratio of leucine to the others.

Kyle, I wouldn’t be so sure that myprotein are that good, loads of there supps have fillers in them & their whey protein is not organic. If I was to take any protein derived from milk again I would just pay for something like this: http://www.nutricentresports.com/p-51163-whey-protein-isolate-250g-protein-powder.aspx

Myprotein are good for things like l-glutamine, as the powder is much better value than tabs, plus its 100% glutamine

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I would be very weary of trying out whey as a supplement; it can feed candida and set back your treatment.

-raster

sammcl

I wanted to share my experience here. I researched a lot of the products around and for anyone still on stage 1, 100% pure hemp protein powder is your best bet. No filler and a pure plant extract.

Warning: it tastes nasty though, mix and then neck after a heavy workout! anyone got any mixing tips? Problem is most fruits are out of the diet!

Also provides a good bit of fiber as well…

benc

sammcl wrote: I wanted to share my experience here. I researched a lot of the products around and for anyone still on stage 1, 100% pure hemp protein powder is your best bet. No filler and a pure plant extract.

Warning: it tastes nasty though, mix and then neck after a heavy workout! anyone got any mixing tips? Problem is most fruits are out of the diet!

For high protein vegan energy snack I would mix it with some low fat/low carb coconut milk, some chia seeds or flax (if they are allowed?).

In general your looking for zero fat post workout & higher carbs. Obviously that isn’t suitable when you are on a candida diet, so you could use l-glutamine & l-glycine to help with recovery.

sammcl

benc wrote:

I wanted to share my experience here. I researched a lot of the products around and for anyone still on stage 1, 100% pure hemp protein powder is your best bet. No filler and a pure plant extract.

For high protein vegan energy snack I would mix it with some low fat/low carb coconut milk, some chia seeds or flax (if they are allowed?).

In general your looking for zero fat post workout & higher carbs. Obviously that isn’t suitable when you are on a candida diet, so you could use l-glutamine & l-glycine to help with recovery.

It’s more for something straight after the gym.

I was thinking about coconut milk, but I wanted to wait a few more weeks before introducing it.

Are you using anything right now protein wise?

Positivo
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 246

I would honestly steer clear of any protein supplement right now. Theres just so much going on in our bodies with candida and all the supplements to be honest. I would recommend a meal like buckwheat or oatbran with a couple of eggs. You ll get your protein from both sources as well as fiber and some slow digesting carbs. Most importantly these are a part of the allowed foods. I made many mistakes with protein supplements and granted i have the advantage of being 21 so my body may not really need supplements but I think food is always a better choice. L-glutamine is also a good supplement for muscle and its recommended for leaky gut so I would recommened taking that.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Protein Shakes’ is closed to new replies.