Probiotics & Kefir Question

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Probiotics & Kefir Question

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  raster 7 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Catalina
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 14

Good Evening!

I had a question about probiotic pills and kefir. I apologize if this question has been answered previously.

Should I be taking kefir and probiotics at separate times? I know we’re supposed to take probiotics and antifungals hours apart but I was confused about kefir and probiotic pills.

I currently drink a cup of homemade kefir first thing in the morning along with 2 Innate Response Formulas Flora 20-14 Ultra Strength capsules and eat about an hour to hour and a half later. I drink a second cup of kefir and 3rd probiotic capsule 1 – 2 hours after dinner.

Thank you so much!
    *Catalina

Marbro
    Topics: 19
    Replies: 252

I drink my probiotic pills down with a glass of homemade water kefir 🙂 The only thing I would worry about is the quantity at an early state of the diet. If you’re just starting the diet then taking too much may give you a lot of die off issues especially if you’re taking anti-fungal as well.

You should take your probiotic for a week, then add kefir slowly for another week or two then start slowly introducing anti-fungal, which you take hours apart from your probiotics, including kefir. Less you’re hard core and don’t mind massive die off and possible liver damage.
    I am at the point where I am taking my probiotics at night before bed away from any meals but drinking kefir all day long including with my anti-fungal. When I started drinking a lot of kefir, my die off kicked up so I reduced my anti-fungal intake to compensate. Now I am slowly going to ramp up my anti-fungal intake since my body is getting used to large amounts of kefir. What’s important is that at least in the morning and at night your taking your probiotics,That includes Kefir without food. 

Catalina
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 14

Hi Marbro,

Thank you for your reply. I have been on the diet for 4 months and been taking probiotics and kefir for the last 2. I started slowly because I was worried about really bad die off. I’ve gradually increased my dosage over time.

You mention that you take your water kefir with your morning probiotic….I use milk kefir…do you think it would still be fine to take both at the same time? Thanks.

Marbro
    Topics: 19
    Replies: 252

I drink milk kefir as well with my probiotics. I have both in the fridge and whatever one I am in the mood for I use. I do not see how milk kefir will interfere with your probiotic doing its job.

Perhaps one of the more experienced folks here might have more to add on that?

I am doing more secondary fermentation now. Though the first round is good for you and will continue to do its job in your gut, a secondary fermentation will eliminate more sugars or lactose. And if like me you’re consuming a lot of kefir, then this is something you want to make sure of. Or at least let the first fermentation go long enough.

I found that I was able to make extra and set it aside in a container for a secondary fermentation while still having enough to drink every day. Now I have a good secondary batch and it doesn’t taste as bad as I thought it would. The water still taste like Champaign and the milk I mix with stevia and cinnamon for a smoothie. It’s a nice fresh drink when cold.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

It is completely OK to take kefir and probiotics at the same time in my book.

I eat greek yogurt in the morning with kefir mixed in and then take probiotics with all of my other vitamins at the same time. Able feels that probiotics should be seperated from meals and antifungals but my naturopath says that it doesn’t really matter that much either way (alteast with SF722).

-raster

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Probiotics & Kefir Question’ is closed to new replies.