Probiotics in capsules or in wholefoods

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Probiotics in capsules or in wholefoods

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Tdog333 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

klips32
    Participant
    Topics: 65
    Replies: 183

I don’t know if this person got the numbers right:

“I prefer whole foods which are naturally cultured or fermented: kefir or yogurt from cow, goat, coconut, almond, hemp seed milk, etc. And fermented foods. Bubbies brand sauerkraut and dill pickles are easy to add to the diet.

“Homemade yogurt that is fermented for 24 hours, will have an average concentration of 3 billion cfu/mL of yogurt. If you were to eat a small bowl (500 ml) of 24 hour fermented homemade yogurt, you would receive 1.5 trillion beneficial bacteria – 100 times more bacteria than a 15 billion capsule.

And homemade kefir has 5x that; homemade kimchi 10x that!”

Source: http://heal-thyself.ning.com/profiles/blogs/probiotic-selection?xg_source=activity

I’m a little confused, are there really that high amount of bacteria in the kefir?

Also:

“*Homemade milk kefir has 56+ different beneficial microbials strains.

*Water kefir has about 30 different beneficial microbial strains.

*Commercial store-bought kefir has about 10 different beneficial microbial strains, more than most bottle probiotics.

*Kefir “starters” have about 7 microbial strains.”

I know, according to the protocol, we should include probiotics in capsules too, but isent it a waste of money if you can make a lot of kefir, kimchi, sauerkraut and so on? 🙂

mrs.candida
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 452

My objective to the probiotics is to take as many different kinds as I can find. When on bottle runs out I try to find something different to replace it with. I feel that I’m getting more varity of bacteria, by doing it that way. Also I try to include fermented food in every meal, sauerkraut or yogurt or fermented garlic.

If you’ve taken any antibiotics it only makes sense to me that you would also take probiotics in addition to a healthy diet that includes as much living beneficial food as possible.

orka1998
    Participant
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 673

I have another source which claims that 100ml of kefir contains 100 billion CFU (sorry it’s in a different language and can’t quote it), but I don’t think anybody can say for sure. Kefir’s CFU count depends on many factors such as length of fermentation, grain-milk ratio, type of milk used (raw vs. pasteurized) etc. I think my source above was using raw milk kefir (which generally contains more probiotic strains and CFU as milk still has those as well. There is no doubt in my mind that kefir is very beneficial, perhaps more than probiotic pills, but both give you different options. Kefir gives you the number of beneficial bacteria, some of them very harmful to pathogens. Commercial probiotic gives you certainty in the CFU count. This is my interpretation of the need for both.

Arijana

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I would rotate probiotics and find a food grade source as well; best of both worlds. One type of probiotic called HMF neuro is the only one that has human derived probiotics, which attach to the mucousal membranes better than any other probiotics. You simply cannot get HMF from a different brand of probiotics or food grade probiotics.

-raster

fineartmarcella
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 1

Actually, the fake kefir you buy at the store, has according to it’s bottle 4 strains of probiotics at 100 billion per tablespoon.
    My water kefir has 43 strains, fresh, I can imagine (don’t know exactly) but that fresh kefir has a whole lot more than the store bought! 🙂
    I have the list somewhere around her of my particular kefir grains,
    Most people who drink kefir regularly drink 2 cups a day and have done so for many years, I know one gal who has had her original grains she got from a friend in the 1970’s, she routinely drinks 2-3 cups a day, it is said to drink 4 cups if you are sick or ill as it has a tendency to help control tumor growth, and at any time, when feeling the need, can eat 1/8 cup of the kefir grains a day for up to a week, one can eat kefir grains at 1 tsp a day routinely. water Kefir has been around since the Biblical days, the grains have been passed down for thousands of years, all are similar, but each will have a few differences, and this is from one specimen in Egypt compared to one in USA, to another in Nigeria. There are lots of scientific papers found on kefir, if you ever want to get some, read up on it first before you send away for some so you don’t kill them, they can last your lifetime if you take care of them, also, you can get water kefir grains off Amazon, friends, or the most expensive is from Sears! wow that was a weird find when I saw that, I don’t think I would buy such important health cultures at Sears, but anyway…. I would prefer the main producers on Amazon or if you trust the friend 🙂
    Later

TheXtremisT
    Participant
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 126

mrs.candida;35529 wrote: My objective to the probiotics is to take as many different kinds as I can find. When on bottle runs out I try to find something different to replace it with. I feel that I’m getting more varity of bacteria, by doing it that way. Also I try to include fermented food in every meal, sauerkraut or yogurt or fermented garlic.

If you’ve taken any antibiotics it only makes sense to me that you would also take probiotics in addition to a healthy diet that includes as much living beneficial food as possible.

Mrs C, I’ve heard this before about consuming a fermented food with every meal, and was wondering how much benefit this does. How have you been whilst doing this?

If it works to improve my bloating/gas, I will try a little yoghurt/kefir maybe even sauerkraut.

Tdog333
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 245

It’s my impression that the probiotics in keifer don’t always survive the stomach acid depending on when/what you drink it with. Some of the pills have a better chance of survival.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Probiotics in capsules or in wholefoods’ is closed to new replies.