probiotics for someone who reacts to probiotics

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions probiotics for someone who reacts to probiotics

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Ophiocordyceps unilateralis 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

crazyliblady
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 3

Hi, everyone. I am finally ready to start with really fighting candida and get rid of it for good. The real problem is that my functional medicine doctor wants me to take a probiotic supplement even though I have had really bad reactions to every single probiotic I have ever taken. I have tried every brand easily available at drug stores and health food stores, and also ones only available through health care providers. Ironically, some even have sugar in them. I am extremely allergic to all dairy products and dairy derivatives (like non dairy coffee creamer, margarine, and non dairy whipped topping). Dairy causes me to have asthma attacks, sinus infections, you name it. I have also tried probiotics that are derived from non dairy sources, but also have asthmatic wheezing and sinus infections when I use them. I have used apple cider vinegar and have found that it helps a great deal. I also regularly eat garlic, ginger, onions, water with lemon juice and mint, mint tea, and stinging nettle tea. Are these enough to help me to really beat this thing? If not, what are my options?

Sign me fed up with feeling like crap.
    crazyliblady

Jaumeb
    Participant
    Replies: 148

Interesting that ACV agreed with you. I am currently taking homemade beet kvass and homemade sauerkraut. I am not saying those are easy. The kraut seems to be much more strong. I don’t really know if those are good or bad for me. I use fido jars for the preparation.

It’s important to start probios with a small dose.

MichaelC
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 2

I also react to probiotics. I get heart palpitations and feel very anxious. What about trying only acidophilus & bifidus? I read that might be the only good bacteria we need when fighting candida.

crazyliblady
    Participant

No, I am not willing to take ANY probiotic. I don’t care if it comes from dairy, is vegetarian, or whatever. For some reason, my body reacts to it. Let me put it this way. I have an asthma attack when I take probiotics, or sometimes a sinus infection, ear infection, etc. These are the same effects as I get if I eat dairy products. I have tried every brand I can get, both from alternative health care providers, on the internet, and in stores. I react the same way to all.

My success has been small so far since I began a renewed effort to get rid of candida. The biggest difference I have noticed is with using raw garlic in stuff I eat three times a day. I mince it up and put it in salad or on whatever entree I am eating. It is really strong, but it is having an effect. I do occasionally eat it cooked into something, like eggs, but it seems to work better raw.

The other difference I have noticed is from drinking Traditional Medicinals dandelion root tea. This stuff really detoxes me. http://www.traditionalmedicinals.com/products/roasted-dandelion-root/

I also started eating a little better with more veggies. I really like this recipe. I had to adjust it by taking out pasta, as I am gluten intolerant anyway, but I substituted 1/2 package of Miracle Noodles for the pasta in 1 bowl of salad. I also used a oil and vinegar in place of the dressing. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/asian-noodle-salad.html

For several years, I have also been drinking a large glass of water after I get up in the morning with a little lemon juice added. Recently, I also added apple cider vinegar to that cocktail. (Yum!) ;P And I use that as a chaser for this stuff Nutiva calls “shortening.” It tastes nasty, but I do believe it is making a difference. https://store.nutiva.com/shortening/

crazyliblady
    Participant

What is your recipe for making sauerkraut? I tried making it twice and just wound up with a science experiment because it got moldy or something. Gross.

Jaumeb
    Participant
    Replies: 148

Thanks for telling us what worked for you. I use fido jar for the sauerkraut. I don’t know if it is helping. Probably not. If I eat more than 1/4 tsp it gives me diarrhea.

Ophiocordyceps unilateralis
    Participant
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 4

I, too, am allergic to dairy, wheat, and many other foods. Over the years, I’ve tried dozens of different pro-biotics. None of them helped, and some gave me anaphylaxis and diarrhea. I once went to a Lou Reed concert in Chicago and had to race to the restroom in the middle of the show because of pro-biotic stomach cramps.

After giving up on them altogether, I recently found one I can handle. I gave it a chance because the label says:

“Contains none of the following: synthetic colors, preservatives, dairy, lactose, milk, yeast, wheat, gluten or soy”

I’m extremely reluctant to recommend a specific brand because of scumbags that pollute the internet with deceitful testimonials about Three Lac. But, since I identify with you, I’ll say that I’ve been taking Culturelle “digestive health” pro-biotic, available at Walgreens and Amazon.com.

I DO NOT KNOW if it’s been helping me; it’s too early in my latest candida battle to tell. But my sensitive body has not been reacting to it.

Good luck, friend.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘probiotics for someone who reacts to probiotics’ is closed to new replies.