Probiotics and Diarrhea?!

Home The Candida Forum Candida Advice Probiotics and Diarrhea?!

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  raster 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

mk3
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 17

So I just started a new probiotic and I think it may be causing me to have diarrhea. I had been taking this probiotic (3 capsules/day) which is far less potent.

It is has been 7+ months since I’ve had anything close to diarrhea…as I have been constipated off and on and struggle with hard stools. My diet has not changed and the only thing I can attribute the diarrhea to is changing probiotics a couple days ago. Is cramping and diarrhea a good or bad thing when starting a new (stronger) probiotic? Should I lessen my dosage (1 instead of 2 capsules daily) to see if the diarrhea subsides?

Please advise.
    Thanks!

mk3

anyone? I want to know if diarrhea is a normal/good thing when starting a new (stronger) probiotic.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Probiotics can definitely cause diarrhea, and diarrhea is certainly better than being constipated when the die-off toxins are in your body, but you don’t want it to go on indefinitely of course.

It’s probably a matter of adding more strains than you were taking previously. It appears that your last one contained only one strain.

Definitely back off to once a day and increase the amount to two times a day after 4 or 5 days; at that time you should test two a day once again.

Able

mk3

Able900 wrote: Probiotics can definitely cause diarrhea, and diarrhea is certainly better than being constipated when the die-off toxins are in your body, but you don’t want it to go on indefinitely of course.

It’s probably a matter of adding more strains than you were taking previously. It appears that your last one contained only one strain.

Definitely back off to once a day and increase the amount to two times a day after 4 or 5 days; at that time you should test two a day once again.

Able

Ok – that’s what I figured. As much as diarrhea is not necessarily healthy…it felt good to get a lot of “stuff” out of my system. I dropped it down to 1 capsule yesterday and today and I have not had any diarrhea. I’ll bump it back up to 2 capsules starting in a couple days.

Thanks Able.

mk3

Could it perhaps be the FOS (Fructooligosaccharides) in the new probiotic that is causing some disturbance in my bowel (this ingredient was not present in my previous probiotic). I had another bout of diarrhea today despite only taking 1 capsule the last few days.

What is FOS anyways? is it beneficial in a probiotic?

helixs54
    Topics: 0

Thanks for the discussion.Actually Diarrhea and probiotics are related each others.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

FOS is actually a prebiotic that you’ll need to feed the probiotics in your body…it is very important and is recommended.

-raster

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Probiotics and Diarrhea?!’ is closed to new replies.