Pregnant and eating like a hobbit

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Pregnant and eating like a hobbit

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Latka 7 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Bobo
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 3

So I joined the forum after I learned I had yeast over growth. My blood test number was under 1 but I was getting ready to to a cleanse in August. Then I found out I was pregnant. A happy surprise. I’ve been taking a probiotic for over 2 months and my doctor recommended I continue and I chose a natural prenatal vitamin since I hate synthetic anything. My diet has been pretty spot on to the candida diet until this week. Except I stopped using the oregano oil as soon as I found out. I added greek yogurt and kefir to my diet because I’ve been reading a lot about natural ways to control morning sickness.

So I am 6 weeks today and the past week has been tough in regards to eating. I am eating constantly and have had to keep a bag of raw almonds next to my bed cause the instant I wake up, which is like 5:30 am, I am queasy. The second it hits the belly, I am relaxed and restful again. I don’t have to be at work until 10, so I’m eating like 3 breakfasts before I get to work, so I can make it through. Hence the eating like a hobbit. Eggs and spinach, kefir or greek yogi with blueberries, sliced oranges. I know, these are not optimal for candida die off. It’s the thought of eating some things make me so queasy. I had avocado and chicken a few days ago and had a meltdown. I don’t want to go near either of them. I’ve had no gluten, yeast, or white anything.

Last night, I couldn’t avoid it. I had two pieces of pizza. It’s not like i eat pizza all the time, infact it is beyond rare that I do but I was with my parents. I haven’t told them yet about the baby. I was so pooped from a day out in the sun with my mom that I didn’t have the energy to seek out a food alternative or protest the ordering of the pizza. Plus I kinda wanted it. The ironic thing is, when I woke this morning, I had no nausea. I am definitely in a fog today, but I feel so good in regards to the queasiness. Now this does not mean I am going to start eating pizza, but I think I need more carbs and grains to fill me up.

I am so confused, because I want to eat well for the baby and myself, but feeling bad is not an option. I don’t have any candida symptoms when I have the yogurt or kefir. If fact other than the queasiness, I’ve felt pretty good. The fog that I used to get from eating a pro-candida food has been non existent until today.

Is this just a matter of listening to your body? I don’t want to get in a position where the Candida has grown throughout the pregnancy that after I have the baby, I am having candida problems worse than before.

Help.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Which probiotic are you taking? Did you make the kefir or did you purchase it pre-bottled? If so, how much sugar is in it? Are you purchasing prepackaged Greek yogurt and if so what’s the brand name?

Two slices of pizza really put you back whether you feel it or not.

Able

Bobo
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 3

Kefir: Traders Point Creamery. All organic, whole milk, no sugar. But I just ordered kefir grains from Cultures for health. I am going to make my own. I’m struggling with using raw milk. I read so many pregnant woman drink it. But since this is my first pregnancy, I guess I worry about taking chances.

Yogurt: Fage because it is the only full fat greek yogurt out there. no one makes full fat in organic. I will most likely be ordering the greek starter from cultures for health too. Again the questions is whether to use raw milk or not.

Probiotic is Ortho Biotic by Ortho Molecular. 20 billion, 6 strains. One strain is an antifungal. This was recommended and sold by my primary. She is progressive, but I wonder if I need more strains. I can use my health saving account to buy this from her office so I am reluctant to buy an alternative since my hubby and I use the same one. It’s $60 per bottle.

The Pizza is no good. I am just baffled by my lack of queasiness this morning. But as the minutes in this day go on, I am feeling it.

Able900
    Spectator

I’m struggling with using raw milk.

You don’t have to use raw milk, just purchase a good organic brand.

Go ahead and order a kefir starter while you’re at it; otherwise you’ll have to wait for the grains to do their thing; meanwhile you need to be drinking kefir. Purchase the Body Ecology Kefir Starter Kit from their website only. Purchasing from Amazon or another store could lead to a culture that’s too old to use. This happened to me once in the beginning when I ordered it from Amazon, and I leaned by lesson.

http://bodyecology.com/digestive-health-kefir-starter.html

Read the post below to see the probiotic brands, strains, and count that the forum members are using. You’re right; you do need a higher strain and count of probiotic. The brands we recommend are usually between $48.95 and $50.00 for 30 capsules depending on where you make your purchase.

https://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst1108_Lactobacillus-acidophilus-DDS1.aspx

The Fage brand of Greek yogurt is fine; it’s used by a lot of the members including myself.

Able

mazz
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 30

You might find brown rice is a good thing to eat to fill you up a bit – brown basmati is best. I try not to eat it every day but I have some every two to three days and it doesn’t seem to cause any problems. You could probably eat it more often than that if you found it helpful.

I have a recipe book by Patrick Holford which is about eating for pregnancy (sorry, I forget the title). He also does loads of other low GL diet recipe books. A lot of the recipes would be suitable for at least stage 3 of this diet. You might find some good ideas in there – and even if you don’t manage to keep to the strict diet, eating low GL food (sweet potatoes and the like) has got to be better than eating pizza.

Good luck – hope the pregnancy goes well.

Able900
    Spectator

mazz wrote: You might find brown rice is a good thing to eat to fill you up a bit

You may as well eat a donut too while you’re at it.

Latka
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 128

Hi Bobo,

are you eating enough every day? it sounds to me that you are not getting enough energy from your food. that might explain that you felt better after having the pizza; your body got the calories it needed. that might also explain why eating the almonds in the morning help with the quesiness (maybe you are simply hungry?). you could try introducing buckwheat. i find that it helps with feeling more “filled up”. i also use teff flour to make pancakes, bread or even pie crust. works fine.

i think this is an important but often overlooked factor in healing candida: getting enough energy from your food! because even though the point is to avoid sugar in order to starve the candida, if you are totally starving yourself then you are hardly healing. (in fact the ancel keys starvation study found that starvation makes the gut more suseptible to parasites and bacterial overgreowth). so it is all a matter of finding the right balance. you shouldn’t go too low carb and i am saying this because i messed things up for my own body and hormonal balance by doing just that. i was so eager to do everything right and heal this thing fast that i was too strict and ended up a lot worse than i started with.

right now your body needs energy to sustain the pregnancy and since you are already avoiding gluten, yeast and the white stuff, i don’t think you will make the infestation worse if you fill up with carbs when you need it. you might not heal it as quickly but this is a long term process anyhow. you need to find out what works for you. in this sense there is a difference what you choose to fill up with, having some sweet potato occasionally is definetely better than a donut.

hope you find an approach that keeps you and your baby well!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Pregnant and eating like a hobbit’ is closed to new replies.