Potatoes

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  JennieK 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

JennieK
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 3

This is my first post. I’m new to the forum. Hello all! I’m currently in recovery from a drinking problem that went on nearly 15 years, off and on. I’m healing myself though diet, exercise, stress reduction, vitamins, etc. I’ve looked into the Potatoes Not Prozac diet and protocol and it seems to work well for me… except that I have had a long standing problem with candida overgrowth that I think was caused by the alcohol, stress and poor diet (sugar, coffee, etc.) and seem to have many traits of a person with higher functioning Asperger’s Syndrome as well. I’m depressed at the moment, going on about 6 weeks. Though the diet change seems to be helping a lot.

My question: If I want to start the Candida Diet to help my candida problems & Asperger’s symptoms, AND follow the protocol of Potatoes Not Prozac diet… the only problem I see are the POTATOES 🙂 So… I’m trying to figure out substitutes. Would it be ok just to use Candida Diet approved whole grains along with protein to up my tryptophan/serotonin?

I sure hope someone understands what I’m getting at here. I think I’ve got a pretty good plan of action, it’s just that I don’t want to lower my serotonin/dopamine when I adopt the Candida Diet. My depression needs help.

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

Do the potatoes cause you any symptoms? Some people have trouble digesting starch fully or get a blood sugar spike from it. If they’re making you feel better without side-effects, then I think your own needs should outweigh candida dogma. People seem to forget that candida generally resides in the bowels. If you’re not digesting the starch or getting a blood sugar spike, then it’s seriously bad news for a yeast overgrowth though. Cooking the hell out of them and eating them with fat tends to help, but there might be better options.

I don’t think serotonin is quite as awesome as you think. It inhibits thyroid hormones and has other nasty side-effects. Improving the way it’s used, rather than increasing it is likely to help with your depression, since to do that you’ll need to improve your digestion and metabolism.

JennieK

No they don’t cause any odd symptoms at all. To be clear, I only have some occasional yeast problems vaginally… actually, have not even had a full blown yeast infection since I cut out the drinking 9 months ago. Just some discharge is all I’ve noticed. My digestion is fine, to my knowledge, so is my metabolism. I’m actually in pretty good shape physically, lean for my height and all. I’m mostly concerned with emotional/mental issues. Depression, anxiety, negative & obsessive thoughts… And this may have more to do with recovery from alcohol than candida, now that I think about it.

I really just thought it might be smart to eat the foods from this particular diet just in case, you know? Just to kill off anything down there that might be trouble before it gets worse.

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

The alcohol was probably having an impact on your immunity, especially if you weren’t eating properly and felt stressed or depressed. Many kinds are oestrogenic and the impact on the liver and gut flora creates a good environment for yeasts. If you’re still getting symptoms, you might benefit from the anti-fungals and probiotics recommended here. Coconut oil is good for a lot of things. You’ll definitely benefit from removing processed foods and other junk from your diet and focusing on nutrient-dense wholefoods, but if you digest food well, it’s really up to you if you want to do the strict diet or not. People avoid things like butter that has 0.014g of sugar per tablespoon. I wouldn’t go through the cleanse/fasting unless your liver is in top shape. The best thing to do is experiment and not make any assumptions. This is all my opinion of course.

As for the depression, do you get any other symptoms at all? Any pain, acne, hair loss, cold intolerance etc? I’ve come to think of some forms of depression as hormonal imbalances. It’s unlikely you have a serotonin deficiency, so why isn’t it getting used effectively? Something is probably interfering. If you do want to boost your serotonin in the meantime, 5-HTP is available as a supplement, but if you can get to the bottom of your symptoms, you won’t need to supplement anything except tasty food 🙂

I’d look into stress coping, e.g. mindfulness, and exercise (no metabolism destroying cardio!) too. The effects that different kinds of foods and diets have on my mindset make me think getting all the biochemistry right is 90% of it though. It’s a shame people are made to feel mentally deranged by our ignorant culture just because they feel anxious or depressed. There’s so much more to it.

Latka
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 128

If depression is your number one problem I’d be very careful with adopting a strict, restricted diet. Especially if you are not completely sure if Candida overgrowht is a problem. I just remember my own depression getting worse when I was on the diet; low carb and depression aren’t exactly a good match. Of course just focusing on cleaning your diet and choosing healthy whole foods that you digest without problems can already help a lot too. Might be a place to start at least? So as to not do anything too extreme, as it sounds like your body’s just been through a huge change and probably dealing with a lot of stress. So if the potatoes work well for you, give you no digestive trouble etc, keep them.

There is so much focus on “killing the candida” when in fact candida is something that naturally exists in the gut. The problem is when it overgrows, and then the question is what caused the overgrowth and how to bring things back into balance. In the beginning of the treatment I was too set on just fixing the problem: just had to kill the candida and everything would be ok. But it is a lot more complicated than that, I’ve learned. What ever you end up doing just remember to support your body, and yourself. Your liver is probably already stressed due to previous alcohol use so I don’t think the cleanse is a good idea. Check the die off post (I think it’s under the stickies) to make sure you do something about minimising any die off and supporting the liver; and it might be a good idea to start slowly on the antifungals.

Good luck! And give yourself some credit for overcoming a drinking problem. You are on your way to better health 🙂

flailingWcandi
    Topics: 13
    Replies: 277

Welcome, Jennie

I can relate to your post….living some of it myself. Think depression is common with yeast: if nothing else from vitamin deficiencies. Have heard Asperger’s is connected to candida and, has completely vanished upon clearing up candida.

When my systems crashed after repeated failed attempts at protocol diets, depression set in with a vengeance along with insomnia. Passed it off to stress but, think there’s more to it than that. Nutrition is a key, no doubt. Wish I had Latka’s words of wisdom when I did precisely the same thing as she states: went at candida too quickly without knowing what was going to happen and put myself in a corner.

javisy and Latka can help you understand adrenal/thyroid issues as well as ketosis which stresses them. Die-off causes body system stress, putting more pressure on these systems. Vit D (3) is important with depression if not getting enough sunlight.

Stumbled upon how ssri’s can deplete magnesium which starts a whole other spiral of deficiencies the other night. Keep magnesium levels up: supplementally if required. Don’t recommend discontinuing ssri’s without discussing it with your Dr..

I use tryptophan and like it almost better than the forum’s protocol of 5HTP which is the precursor of tryptophan. Valerian root is another good mood calming aid. Have found Ashwaganda to be a tremendous help with mood stabilization as well as for adrenal/thyroid support.

Don’t forget Able is an excellent source of information, along with raster: both are extremely generous with their command of the subject: you can PM them. You are in a good place here as many of us have been through what brought you here but, you still have to seek, ask questions, read/learn, etc…

This is your journey. Take what you will and leave the rest.

JennieK

Thank you all so much!! This really helps. I’m so glad to have found a forum where people actually do understand and know where I’m coming from!

I think, for now, I’ll just stick with whole foods as I’ve been doing. Cutting out on sugar as much as I can. And staying with the vitamins and supps I’ve been taking. I think I’ll also go ahead and order the Ashwaghandha, 5HTP, and maybe Valerian. Do those 3 sound like a good combo?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Potatoes’ is closed to new replies.