Possible illnesses/conditions that cause candida?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Possible illnesses/conditions that cause candida?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  SueSullivan 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Newdirection
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 6

Hey there,

I have been on the anti candida diet now for a few months, and working with a naturopath doctor who has been helping me with a yeast overgrowth problem. We found yeast overgrowth from stool sampling. She has been great, and has done everything i have read on these forums to help fight the growth, but i have seen 0 improvement in how i feel.

We are starting to think there is some other issue that caused the growth in the first place, and this needs to be fixed before i can get rid of it. Could you possibly give me some ideas of illnesses/conditions that can cause yeast overgrowth? I have light sensitivity, and she told me that she has never heard of someone with overgrowth complaining of this as a yeast symptom, so i guess we want to start testing me for other possible contributing factors. So far hormone testing, parasite infestation, thyroid testing, and food allergy testing have been done, showing no issues.

Additional information that may help:

This all started with chronic constipation/bloating
    A few months after this, i woke up with a 24/7 drunk/high feeling, which has been constant now for almost 6 months
    Pellet like stools
    Undigested food in stools
    Extreme aching which occurs mostly in the neck/shoulder area
    Felt worse when eating sugar/carbs (This was before i started the diet)
    Sometimes i feel worse after eating meat/vegetables, which is my usual meal everyday. This seems a bit random, because other times i won’t
    I seem to react to olive oil
    Tingling in hands and feet (Been tested for diabetes, and don’t have it)

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated. I know an overgrowth can take time to heal, but seeing no improvement after 4 months makes me wonder what else might be contributing.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I would check out thyroid health (iodine levels), liver enzyme levels, allergies, etc.

If you want to look at underlying causes, I would check out this stuff:

-thyroid health and iodine levels. If your thyroid isn’t working optimally, then there goes your immune system. Its the most important organ in your immune system. Cold hands and feet are a major symptom as well as fatigue.

-prior antibiotic use. If you have used antibiotics before, you destroyed beneficial bacteria that caused pathogenic yeast to take over.

-vaccine use and/or mercury fillings. These both contribute to heavy metal levels.

-mold in your apartment or home. If you have toxic mold and/or live in cheap/old housing, then this could’ve started everything. Mold messes you up and caused candida to overgrow.

-high lead levels. If you used lead pipes or are around lead paint, this can mess you up.

-co-infections. You likely have a variety of virus’s such as epstein-barr (mono) or lyme, parasites (tapeworms, etc), or bad bugs such as strept h.pylori, etc. that have overgrown.

What is your diet like and what supplements are you taking?

-raster

Newdirection

Hi Raster,

Thank you so much for the feedback. My diet consists of vegetables, meat, eggs, and nuts. I was on innate probiotics, but my doctor just prescribed me VSL#3 as she said it is stronger, and may help things more so. I just got my thyroid results back, and they are normal, so that is not an issue. My food allergy testing had no major reactions to anything, and the things that were on there as a very low reaction (yeast), i don’t consume at all because of the diet.

We are considering co infections as a possibility. I have 3 more weeks on this stronger probiotic, and if we see no improvement i think my doctor wants to start looking into other possibilities. Have you heard of yeast causing light sensitivity? I don’t hear it often myself as a symptom, but lots of people hear it and suspect lyme.

I have never to my knowledge been bitten by ticks, and i don’t live in an area of the country that is known for lyme, although i know it is not impossible to pick it up. Do any of those co infections cause light sensitivity to your knowledge?

ThomasJoel2
    Participant
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 375

Mercury toxicity can cause candida and light sensitivity is a common symptom of mercury. Might be something to investigate.

Rabelais
    Blocked
    Replies: 268

Is there any source that supports the supposed relation between light sensitivity and a supposed mercury toxicity?

ThomasJoel2
    Participant
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 375

Rabelais;57758 wrote: Is there any source that supports the supposed relation between light sensitivity and a supposed mercury toxicity?

Besides my own personal experience here is a study I found after a quick Google search: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3096006/

[indent]”Cerebellar and psychological, vegetative signs: Muscular hypotonia followed by refusing to walk, stand, or sit, disturbed, negative behavior, apathy, loss of appetite, weight loss, nightly sleeping disorders, sleepiness during the day, tremor, ataxia, coordination problems, excessive salivation, metallic taste, increased sweating, severe itchiness, increased blood pressure, tachycardia, light sensitivity, slowly increasing process over weeks.”
    [/indent]

Some more sources:
    http://www.thenaturalrecoveryplan.com/articles/symptoms-of-mercury-poisoning.html
    http://dermnetnz.org/reactions/acrodynia.html

Not that Wikipedia is a trustworthy source, but they mention increased sensitivity to light as a symptom of mercury tox as well.

Newdirection

It is definitely not a mercury problem, but thanks for your input

Danny33
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 362

Newdirection;57713 wrote: Hey there,

I have been on the anti candida diet now for a few months, and working with a naturopath doctor who has been helping me with a yeast overgrowth problem. We found yeast overgrowth from stool sampling. She has been great, and has done everything i have read on these forums to help fight the growth, but i have seen 0 improvement in how i feel.

We are starting to think there is some other issue that caused the growth in the first place, and this needs to be fixed before i can get rid of it. Could you possibly give me some ideas of illnesses/conditions that can cause yeast overgrowth? I have light sensitivity, and she told me that she has never heard of someone with overgrowth complaining of this as a yeast symptom, so i guess we want to start testing me for other possible contributing factors. So far hormone testing, parasite infestation, thyroid testing, and food allergy testing have been done, showing no issues.

A few months after this, i woke up with a 24/7 drunk/high feeling, which has been constant now for almost 6 months
    Pellet like stools
    Sometimes i feel worse after eating meat/vegetables, which is my usual meal everyday. This seems a bit random, because other times i won’t

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated. I know an overgrowth can take time to heal, but seeing no improvement after 4 months makes me wonder what else might be contributing.

ND,

Chronic constipation = dysbiosis
    In order to have robust, hydrated stools you must have the bacteria to support that.

Undigested food/ Feel worse w/ carbs = Likely low stomach acid(can lead to H. Pylori, SIBO, etc.)
    Do you ever have heartburn or indigestion?
    If yes, Betaine HCL is the easiest treatment

What supplements have you been using to treat your condition?

Why dismiss mercury, were you tested?

-D

Newdirection

Yes I was tested for mercury and heavy metals. I tried diflucan for 2 weeks, and nystatin for 2 weeks, and saw 0 improvement. I have also been on the diet, and i take a prescription probiotic, my doctor said they are one of the strongest ones you can get. She is more so miffed by me seeing no improvement whatsoever, and having light sensitivity. She said she doesn’t hear of light sensitivity as a yeast symptom, and i should by now feel somewhat better after a few months.

Henschy
    Participant
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 43

Hmm I’m by no means a expert, but what I think it could be is either Mineral/vitamin deficiency, or like you said Lyme disease, even if it’s not common there.

Newdirection

I wondered that too, unless candida has somehow caused inflammation of my brain which has caused light sensitivity as a symptom. It is just so frustrating living with this 6 months, and tests keep coming up dry, and no one really knows the cause. One day i was fine, and now all of this.

SueSullivan
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 108

Newdirection;57713 wrote: Hey there,

Pellet like stools

ND,

Have you considered exploring methylation cycle dysfunction? I ask because candida overgrowth occurs with it but the fundamental problem is a disregulation of the methyl cycle. The symptoms that stood out for me are the tingling in hands and feet and the pain/tight muscles in neck and shoulders, in addition to the clear candida symptoms like the brain fog/drunken feeling and digestive issues.

There is a $99 genetic test done through 23andme.com you can take, or you can begin a methylation protocol and see if it affects you. For people without methyl cycle dysfunctions, it won’t affect you one way or another,as it is simply specific high-dose Vit Bs that get peed out if you don’t need them.

It is a somewhat tricky cycle to start up however, if you have been impaired in it for some time. I can give you further advice and point you to resources if you are interested.

Good luck,

Sue

Newdirection

I hate to sound a newbie, but what is that?

SueSullivan
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 108

It’s an avenue of dysfunction and treatment that a number of members of this board have explored. This is not a forum dedicated to discussing it though, so you may not get much useful feedback here. I’ve gotten great help at Phoenixrising.me and from the websites of various doctors who treat patients through an understanding of their genetic mutations that affect methylation, detoxification and other body processes. (ND Amy Yasko, Dr. Mayhill in the UK, and cardiologist James Roberts at heartfixer.com.

In brief, the methylation cycle is complex and governs a number of processes in the body, from the uptake and recycling of neurotransmitters like dopamine, to cycles of RNA and DNA replication that allow for cell renewal, to aspects of the cellular energy process. Brain fog, fatigue, gut dysfunction, skin problems and mood disorders are among the symptoms of a methyl cycle dysfunction.

Gene testing for $99 through 23andme.com gives you a picture of what genetic mutations you have that affect your ability to detoxify your body, as well as how the various processes in the methyl cycle might be impaired. It’s quite complex and very useful to have someone well-read offer you feedback on your snps. That’s why I recommend joining at phoenix rising as well, if you want to explore this.

When I successfully knocked back my candida overgrowth last summer and fall, I felt well for a few months but I then developed a skin cancer on my leg and fell into an energy crash that turned into a chronic fatigue that I am still working my way out of. In my search for answers for what could be wrong, I have found this avenue to explore and it’s been very compelling.

If you have methylation cycle defects, which you probably do if you have candida, the solution is taking specific bioactive forms of certain B vitamins, starting low and titrating up, and adding in a few cofactors (mostly over the counter supplements such as L-carnitine fumarate) that support the process.

The tricky part is that each of your genetic defects is going to affect a certain part of this really complex cycle so understanding which ones need to be addressed first is important (and tough to do if you are terribly brain fogged). Also, re-starting methylation can reactivate old symptoms as nerves are healed, the immune system is revitalized and old infections are recognized and battled, and the like.

One of the things that may have contributed to my fatigue spiral is not knowing that I had a defect in processing sulphur foods. I ate a *ton* of high sulfur veggies and protein in the six months I was on the candida diet. Thankfully, Able was recommending what were really high levels of molybdenum to support the liver and Mbd is one of the co-facters that helps us process out the sulfur, so it limited the damage I was doing to myself.

Anyway, if you want more info, you can ask here or find me at phoenix rising, where my name is Sueami.

good luck,
    Sue

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Possible illnesses/conditions that cause candida?’ is closed to new replies.