Please help my mum – she's ill – think its candida

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Please help my mum – she's ill – think its candida

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Jo*Jo 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Jo*Jo
    Topics: 64
    Replies: 242

Hi people,

I’ve been doing the diet 8 months now and i’m doing well but during this time its occured to me that my mum probably has it too. Since she was a teenager until her mid 50’s she smoked heavily and for about the last 10 years before she quit, each year she’d go down with a couple of bouts of bronchitis or chest infections and each time she’d have antibiotics, sometimes for two or 3 weeks at a time because she was so ill. Each time she’d get a yeast infection either in her mouth or down below but Canestan would always get rid of it.

I’ve mentioned to her before that i think she’s infested with candida but she’s not interested because she doesnt want to do the diet. She doesnt have the patience or the tenacity to stick with something so hard. She says she has to eat chocolate every night before bed or she wont sleep. She also has a fungal nail infection. But thats all i know of her symptoms. I dont know if she experiences the usual day to day candida symptoms but if she’s anything like me, she probably has had them for so long that she thinks they’re normal.

When she quit smoking, all the illness stopped. She barely even suffered with colds until last week when she went down with one and it turned into a chest infection, and within about a day of taking anti biotics she got sickness and diahrrea. The GP advised her to stop taking the antibiotics and as she did, the sickness and diahrrea stopped. So she started again today on the GPs instruction and as i expected, the sickness and diahrrea came back. This has never happened before. She’s gonna call the GP tomorrow to ask for some different anti biotics.

My experience of GPs in the UK is that they have either never heard of candida or dont believe in it so i dont expect much help from them. I’m also expecting that they will try her on different antibiotics and she will probably get the same effect..?

So in the short term, is there anything you could suggest i could do to help her? I could suggest loads of things from my experience of the diet but she’s already pretty ill so i dont want to make her worse. Is there anything anti candida diet related that could make her feel better a bit or at least counteract the anti biotics? I was thinking high dose probiotics or something like that, but i dont know much about the science behind candida or the diet so i really dont know.

I’d really appreciate your help in this.

Thanks,
    Jo

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I would suggest probiotics instead of antibiotics and have her bring this up with your doctor. I would also ask her to ask her doctor why they haven’t mentioned probiotics after taking antibiotics!? This is very important…maybe they want a future long term customer.

What I convince people to do is try the diet for a few days with antifungals and see if they notice any changes.

-raster

Jo*Jo

Thanks Raster!

Probiotics INSTEAD of antibiotics? Would they alone really make the chest infection better? I like the idea of them with the antibiotics, but as I said, I really don’t know.

What strength of probiotics would you suggest? I have Innate Response 20-14 on my fridge that I could give her if the dr won’t give her any.

raster
    Participant

Anything higher than about 15 billion cfu per capsule should be fine (30+ billion per day). I don’t think probiotics alone will cure her infection, but I would have her bring it up with her doctor. One story you should google is that probiotics might become the future antibiotic because antibiotics are becoming increasingly less effective in the long term. Remember probiotics are the opposite of antibiotics.

Probiotics likely won’t be a quick fix, whereas the antibiotics could be a quick fix.

Another thing to think about: why does she have this lung issue? Well, the lungs are the dumping grounds of the body and thus they could be overloaded with toxins. What is causing the toxins to go to her lungs? Could be dead candida, other bacteria, parasites, etc. Ask the doctor what is causing this to happen?

-raster

Jo*Jo

Thanks again, Raster. I have shown this topic to my Dad, who is looking after her. Hopefully they’ll take some of this on board.

What about drinking kefir? I know its not as effective as probiotic tablets but at the very least, would it help a bit?

mygutleaks
    Participant
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 166

how come everyone’s recommending probiotics vs. kefir. something like water kefir is sooo much less expensive than a bottled probiotic. plus you get a larger count. ie., billions, maybe tens or hundreds of billions per batch. with kefir, you can have probiotics everyday for life at a fraction of the cost.

Jo*Jo

Just an update. The advice that i got from here wasnt taken on board but she did recover. She got put on a different sort of antibiotics and recovered quickly. But now she’s got a very bad sore throat and I have to say i’m not surprised. I find the science of candida a bit hard to grasp sometimes but i do know the damage antibiotics can do. Some of my advice has been taken this time and she’s currently taking probiotics but they are only 3 billion and they have all kinds of crap in them as they are from Holland and Barrett. She’s been taking about 4 a day and still feels rubbish.

We’ll see where this leads..

lmm
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 138

My experience of H&B probiotics is that they aren’t refridgerated (though they claim those that aren’t are heat stable (probably because their dead!)). Would she be willing to try some highee grade probiotics?

Len

raster
    Participant

Hello Jo jo,

I just learned from my naturopath that throat soreness is directly related to gut health. Your mom is likely constipated and thus the throat pain. I just got over a cold I had for a week or so and my throat was pretty sore.

-raster

Jo*Jo

Raster, she is ALWAYS constipated and takes something for it every day. Bad, i know. Imm, i’m trying to get her to take better probiotics but i’m not sure she will.

How bad could this actually get? Because if this were to get worse, i worry how she’d cope. Last time she was unable to walk down the stairs, she was so bad.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Please help my mum – she's ill – think its candida’ is closed to new replies.