Plain Yogurt vs. Plain Kefir

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Plain Yogurt vs. Plain Kefir

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Hope 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hope
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 187

Hi, all 🙂 I’ve been off and on Kefir throughout this diet, trying to decide if I have a milk allergy. I’m fairly certain that that possibility is ruled out, now, so I’ll be bringing kefir back into my diet. That’s none too soon, either, because I’ve been having leg cramps that seem to be associated with the lower calcium intake! OUCH.

Anyway, the only organic, completely plain kefir that I’ve been able to find around here has inulun (FOS) added. It’s the Helios brand. However, I can readly find completely plain, organic yogurt with absolutely nothing added. SO, my queston is this – which would you consider the better option and why? I lean toward the kefir, but wonder if the FOS actually makes it less beneficial for the diet than the plain yogurt w/o the FOS would be.

A little more info for those that want it –

I think the kefir has 7 cultures of live bacteria and here’s the nutritional info

The yogurt we generally have in the fridge for the children is from Trader Joe’s It’s also organic. Here are the stats (it’s full fat, I would get low fat for myself) – 8 oz. serving, 170 cal, 9g fat, total carbs 12g, sugars 12g, protein 8g, calcium 30%. 6 live cultures. Actually, I just noticed this yogurt has fruit pectin, but I don’t think the lower fat versions do.

Thoughts?

Hope

By the way, I’ve been on the diet for almost 12 weeks now. It’s been a little over 6 weeks since ending my last antibiotic. My symptoms are down to the bottom of the “mild” range on questionaires or, sometimes, lower than the lowest score. Just to give you an idea of where I am in this candida diet dealy.

Hope

Nevermind 🙂 After looking at several different stores today, I found a Lifeway Organic Plain Kefir that doesn’t have FOS *or* pectin and comes in at 30% of my calcium. It has 10 probiotic strains + 2 prebiotic strains. 12 g sugars, which is about the same as the yogurt. But, I think I’ll stick with this. That is, unless someone knows something I don’t and can point me elsewhere 🙂

http://www.lifeway.net/Products/OrganicKefir/LowFatKefir/LowFatPlain.aspx

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Plain Yogurt vs. Plain Kefir’ is closed to new replies.