Over eating or low HCL

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Over eating or low HCL

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Able900 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Jeremiah
    Topics: 21
    Replies: 31

Hi again – I apologize for posting a lot, but this is indeed a great forum, and the scope of Candida is vast as it involves many physiological areas. I’m 60 and have been in the health food store field, if thats a field, where you seem to live in a health foods store always looking for something to help fix an ailment. Through the years you hear so much but have no way to back it up, even if your well read.

What came to mind, especially after being 60 and as you get older your HCL secretes in far less amounts, therefore not fully digesting your food, and then of course yeast builds up on the pile to be pushed into the intestines. I’ve heard and read this, and also assume if your a Candida sufferer as am I with a childhood of antibiotics, that if you eat to much before you go to bed, is that why these enzymatic yeast killers are made, like Candizyme, which is made for overgrowth and detox. Is this stuff any good? I haven’t seen a link on it yet, if there is. What is the standard amount of hrs. one should eat before going to bed? If they eat 1 to 2 hrs. before bed, are they succestable to an overgrowth of yeast? Can you take all your antifungals and minerals an hr before you go to bed without worrying about overgrowth? I know it’s bad to eat before bed, but is this why, cause it might be the reason my AM’s are so groggy. Is the recommended time for eating before bed 3 hrs? and is that also for supplements and antifungals. Not sure if capsules digest easily or not. Lastly, does HCL supplements take care of what the body can’t secrete, or should one just eat lightly at dinner, how does that work?

Thomas
    Topics: 71
    Replies: 605

Hi mate,
    you don’t need to apologize for posting a lot. This forum is only alive if we post a lot. How fun is it to come and find one or two post every second day. No please keep posting and post a lot.

I like to answer you about the question:

I know it’s bad to eat before bed, but is this why, cause it might be the reason my AM’s are so groggy. Is the recommended time for eating before bed 3 hrs?

Your intestines need time to work and time to rest. If we eat all the time and even fill the stomach shortly before going to bed the guts never get some peace to heal because they are always working. Now, I changed now my eating behaviour that I only eat twice a day. My last meal is not later than 18:00 hours. I feel very fine with this and I haven’t had stomach pain in over a week now.

yours
    Thomas

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

A very wise post, Thomas.

Jeremiah, as you seem to be aware of, stomach acids are needed for many reasons.
    Among them, to protect the body from pathogens that would otherwise enter through the digestive system. Many pathogenic bacteria like E. coli thrive in an alkaline environment, which is the reason that E. coli lives in the alkaline environment of the upper intestines, it’s also why H. pylori secretes ammonia which neutralizes the stomach acid in order to protect itself. Reducing stomach acid makes it that much easier for pathogens to exist in the body.

Stomach acids allow the absorption of need minerals because non-chelated minerals react with the acid to convert them into absorbable salts.

They reduce acid reflux, which actually results from the lack of stomach acid.

A lack of stomach acid leads to fermentation by yeast overgrowth in the stomach and fermentation of foods not being digested properly. The gas formation from this builds up in the stomach and is eventually released through the esophagus carrying with it traces of acid.

Acids allow for the digestion of proteins because the digestive enzyme pepsin cannot work without sufficient levels of hydrochloric acid (stomach acid). If the proteins are not broken down properly they can enter the bloodstream forming allergens that lead to allergic reactions.

The absorption of vitamins B6, B12 and folate are acid dependent for absorption. Since stomach acid levels decline with age, this is why so many people in their 50s and up have deficiencies of B vitamins.

In addition, most of the nutrients that are needed to form stomach acid are acid dependant for absorption. Therefore the lack of stomach acid leads to further declines in stomach acid, leading to less absorption of stomach acid forming nutrients, which leads to less stomach acid formation. As you see, this can be a never-ending cycle.

To remedy this, it’s recommended to avoid antacids, acid blockers, alkaline waters, coral and oyster shell calcium, as well as dolomite calcium. And if there is a bigger problem such as any described above, HCL (hydrochloric acid) can be purchased as a supplement.

Able

Thomas

Able, is there a way to know or test if one is lacking acid?

yours
    Thomas

Able900
    Spectator

Thomas wrote: Able, is there a way to know or test if one is lacking acid?

Hello, Thomas, hope you are doing well.

There are a few ways to test the amount of acids in the stomach. Below is a link to a couple of the tests which must be performed by a medical doctor.

http://www.jonbarron.org/enzymes/bl070313/natural-health-blog-stomach-acid-test

The link blow describes yet another type of test.
    http://www.umm.edu/ency/article/003883.htm

There is a test that you can perform yourself, at home, but to be honest I’m not aware of how accurate this is, and I imagine that any doctor would tell that it’s completely inaccurate since you don’t pay them for it.

For this home test mix together a solution of one-quarter teaspoon of baking soda and eight ounces of water (cold). You should drink the mixture soon after you wake in the morning, before eating or drinking. After you drink the mixture, measure the period of time it takes before you belch.

*If you belch in two or three minutes, your stomach is producing adequate amounts of hydrochloric acid.
    *If you belch sooner than 2 to 3 minutes or if you continue to belch after 3 minutes, it’s possibly that you are producing too much stomach acid.
    *If you do not belch within 5 minutes, your stomach is not producing enough acid.

There’s also a test that can be done once you are taking HCL which I believe is printed on the instructions for taking the HCL, if not, I’m sure I could find the instructions on the Internet.

According to much of the research, Candida sufferers are notorious for having low stomach acid simply because Candida overgrowth in the stomach produces an alkaline environment.

Below are some of the major symptoms of having an insufficient amount of stomach acids.

Bloating, belching, burning or flatulence shortly after eating
    Rectal itching
    Fowl-odor gas due to putrefaction of undigested protein.
    Skin rashes such as psoriasis, acne, eczema, Rosacea.
    Chronic Candida overgrowth
    Mineral deficiencies: calcium, magnesium, zinc, iron, chromium, & others.
    Weak nails and osteoporosis due to poor mineral absorption.
    B12 deficiency since an adequate stomach acid is required for the proper release of vitamin B12 from the food we eat.

Able

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

I’m pretty sure I have HCL issues, since I regularly get reflux while sleeping, although surprisingly not much heartburn. My doctor prescribed me some acid suppressants, but I wasn’t ignorant enough to take them. He didn’t even ask additional questions, and obviously he didn’t attempt anything as unreasonable as testing the actual acid level before potentially suppressing it to dangerously low levels.

I might try one of the tests, but I’ve been considering supplementing HCL anyway. Is it worth supplementing pepsin as well? Is there anything to be cautious of? I’d start very slowly and test for reactions/improvements.

Thomas

Hi guys,
    I am doing fine! Its the fourth day now and it looks stable.
    My change of diet and way I eat has helped a great deal.

Thank you Able for the info about the acids!

Jaavizy, please share with us how your test worked out.
    I feel so good right now that I am afraid to mess it up. LOL Maybe I will do it after I am stable for some weeks. Right now I am still in mind chock from my adventure last months ago.

cheers
    thomas

Lucylu
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 345

Thomas… I’m so delighted to read that you’re doing so well! Keep up the good work buddy!

Lx

Jeremiah

I’m sure glad I’m apart of this forum as I used to think I was pretty smart in the way of diet, as my Dad was a natureopath and always sounded like Able, a true genius, or to give credit also to the other experts, well read.

The true genius here is the attitude to struggle together, and not be afraid to conceal a part of ourselves in order to get well. My dad cured himself of cancer by detoxing with wheatgrass and colonics. Once those two parts of the body, the colon where the walls need the lymph to move through easily and the blood to be detoxed as toxins lie hiding in fat cells for years and years only to present themselves when other parts of the body tire out. So to detox the colon, with caffeine in the colonics and chlorophyl for the blood is to let the body heal itself and to watch someone at 50 do this at Hippocrates Institute in San Diego under Ann Wigmore the wheatgrass queen is a testament to the struggle I’m speaking of and will keep one in awe the rest of their lives with the quest of good health.

So much much gratitude to the experts here who are so well read and understand the feeling to get better after a struggle and continue to teach as well as learn more.

Question to Able; Able the studies as the one just mentioned in detoxing the body and all the ones showing a diseased body is an acidic body, and an alkaline body is what we had at birth and if found again, no cancer or anything negative can live in it stands true until now as Candida can thrive in the upper intestine but if the body is acidic also, isn’t that double jeopardy. I know the jury is still out on blood pH and our kidney water pH, but everyone does agree acidic blood is just a little over 7.35, and if you drink high pH water all day it will move into the blood slowly to help bring up the pH. So does drinking high pH water help the candida or yeast grow?

Jeremiah

Ran out of room on the last post so to finish I had a suggestion for this forum, but not sure if it will work.

I was with a forum, DCC.com (diabetic cat care. com) and someone had a suggestion on how to make life a lot easier when answering questions on a post by just blocking out a sentence to be commented on about right below the sentence with your name in it, (like Able does quoting the question and surrounding it with dotted lines), opposed to starting a whole new post and having to constantly go back and pull info off the original post.

One of the problems are the post would be real long and the software might have to be changed regarding the formatting, but it would sure be easier. Imagine a sentence in the form of a question, and boxes of answers below it with the experts name.

Able900
    Spectator

Jeremiah wrote: I’m sure glad I’m apart of this forum as I used to think I was pretty smart in the Hippocrates Institute in San Diego under Ann Wigmore the wheatgrass queen is a testament to the struggle I’m speaking of…

Hello, Jeremiah.
    Interesting post. And strangely I envy you the visit to the Hippocrates Institute although certainly not the reason.

Jeremiah wrote: Question to Able; Able the studies as the one just mentioned in detoxing the body and all the ones showing a diseased body is an acidic body, and an alkaline body is what we had at birth and if found again, no cancer or anything negative can live in it stands true until now as Candida can thrive in the upper intestine but if the body is acidic also, isn’t that double jeopardy. I know the jury is still out on blood pH and our kidney water pH, but everyone does agree acidic blood is just a little over 7.35, and if you drink high pH water all day it will move into the blood slowly to help bring up the pH.

So does drinking high pH water help the candida or yeast grow?

To answer that last question; yes – because the normal and healthy pH of the stomach is acidic, so are the intestines and colon. The home base of the infestation is in the intestines and colon, this is where the Candida’s cell walls are located, and Candida thrive in an alkaline environment, this is why they expel ammonia which is a highly alkalized toxin that causes the intestines to become more alkaline. So helping the stomach, intestines and colon to become even more alkalized by putting akaline water into the areas would only contribute to a beneficial environment for the Candida to multiply.

It’s difficult to discuss the so-called ‘average’ pH of the body as I’m not even sure that such a thing exists, and if it does, I’m fairly certain that knowing the exact ‘average pH’ of your body would have zero benefits as far as planning a healthy diet or treatment around that average pH.

First of all, how do you really obtain a true and exact average pH of the body? Test strips won’t work because of how they’re used. For example, if it’s a saliva test, you can’t get a true reading of the average pH of the entire body because the saliva is naturally between 6.0 and 7.9. If it’s a urine pH reading that’s not going to give you an average body pH either because the urine is normally about 6.0.
    The same story goes for a blood test because normally the blood moving through the veins has an average pH of 7.35 to 7.41.

So what is the ‘average pH’ of the human body? We could get the average of the three readings from above, but would that really be the pH of the human body as a whole or would this simply be the average pH of the saliva, urine and blood?

The only way to get a true picture of the alkaline/acidic amount in the human body is to look at one section of the body at a time, one organ at a time, and if you did a pH check on the individual parts of the body you would find something like this:

You would find that the skin, stomach, digestive system, colon, and vagina are more acidic than alkaline, while other areas such as the prostate, semen and other bodily fluids and mouth are normally more alkaline. Knowing this, how can we claim that the ‘average’ pH balance should be a particular number when it really depends on which section of the body we’re talking about? The truth is, you could get an average body pH if one area was lower than normal and another area was higher than it should be; so in this case, is the pH balance obtained really a true picture of the health of the body?

The reasons for the different pH balances of the individual parts of the body are:
    A more acidic environment is natural for the skin because the skin has to be able to protect itself from environmental factors such airborne bacteria and other toxins.
    The vagina also maintains an acidic environment for protection, and when the pH balance rises too high (too alkalized) yeast infections are the result.

The stomach and digestive system are normally acidic because of the need for digestive acids which are a natural part of the process of digesting and utilizing the foods we eat as fuel, plus the acidic environment protects us from fungal infections in the digestive system. When the digestive system becomes too alkaline due to eating too many alkalizing foods such as fruit, or antibiotics which lower the acidic environment due to a shrinking population of flora in the intestines, or eating too much sugar which is food for the natural yeast in our bodies whose population growth causes a higher alkalized environment, then Candida albicans infestations are far too many times the result.

Jeremiah wrote: I was with a forum, DCC.com (diabetic cat care. com) and someone had a suggestion on how to make life a lot easier when answering questions on a post by just blocking out a sentence to be commented on about right below the sentence with your name in it, (like Able does quoting the question and surrounding it with dotted lines), opposed to starting a whole new post and having to constantly go back and pull info off the original post. One of the problems are the post would be real long and the software might have to be changed regarding the formatting, but it would sure be easier. Imagine a sentence in the form of a question, and boxes of answers below it with the experts name.

Yes I like the idea, but you’re right; this would be a software fix, and up to an administrator. You can address the idea to “Anna” who is an administrator with the website. She’s more likely to see the message quicker if you post it under the “Announcements” category. You could post it there, or once you’re there click on “New sections in the forum – any suggestions?” and post it there; either way, Anna will see it and respond. Just type Anna’s name in the subject line.

Thanks for an interesting post as well as the interesting question.
    Able

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Over eating or low HCL’ is closed to new replies.