Out of the frying pan…

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Out of the frying pan…

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  impossible 6 years ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Cheesey
    Topics: 37
    Replies: 245

Part of my issue is that I have an anxiety disorder. This isn’t as bad as it was, say, a year ago from now, but I have been resisting treating it with anti-depressants this entire time as I would see direct correlations between my own relaxation activities and decreases in anxiety. With my recent unpleasant experience, I have decided to take a while off work and focus on trying to rest and build myself up. I’m still taking plenty of probiotics/kefir and eating generally anti-fungal foods such as garlic, onions, coconut oil, sage tea etc., but I am not on an anti-fungal program as such.

In addition to my decision to take some time off work, I also decided I could use some psychological support right now and finally gave into taking SSRIs. If only I had googled ‘Sertraline’ and ‘Candida’ beforehand, as it turns out that this SSRI is a particularly powerful antifungal.

URRRGGGH. I have been dying for the past few days. On the day in question I had a horrible mix of seratonin overload symptoms such as strange rushes (felt like I was on the verge of coming up off a really poor quality ecstasy tablet), I started actually gurning, and it also caused horrendous fatigue, dizziness, irritability and anxiety. Good times.

So, I suppose this is as much as a warning as it is a personal complaint: BE CAREFUL TAKING SSRIs ON THE CANDIDA DIET.

Other than that though I’ve been fighting chronically inflamed tonsils for the past 8 months so I think my immune system is taking a battering from that angle as well.

Now that I have that out of the way, does anyone have any advice for trying to build myself up again? I’m generally lying in bed most of the day, trying to drink lots of fluids and have just ordered a dry skin brush. I’m also taking epsom salt baths, molybdenum, milk thistle, eating lots of veg etc. I’m also keeping stress levels ‘relatively’ low which I think is probably really important. Every little bit will help to get me back on my feet right now so all hints and tips are welcome πŸ™‚

Thanks Amigos

(oh sympathy is encouraged too, by the way).

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

Sorry to hear this ordeal just keeps persisting. Able posted on the Research board about something that’s good for both digestion and depression, maybe check that out? It’s the newest thread in there, I believe.

I think taking time off work and giving yourself permission to just chill out will be as important as anything, so it’s really good that you’re able to do that. Sleep as much as you want, read, watch tv, whatever. Decompressing psychologically is really important to the process.

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

I took SSRIs for about year a few years ago, UGH. I totally feel you on the anxiety front, man. What I can tell you is that from my experience (I’m on day 73 I think?), my anxiety has dropped considerably since being on the strict diet and taking some antifungals/molybdenum aac/probiotics/vit c/etc. I had actually started having panic attacks before I found the site, and now I have only had one. i noticed a change almost immediately; within a week or so of starting everything on the strict diet and protocol. The panic attack I had this past week I attributed to some kind of accidental “contamination” of some sort that I think is from some tea I got at Starbucks :p I had some other symptoms that day too.

But to put it in perspective – just before Christmas, I put up the decorations at my old work and it took me an hour because I was sweating and panicking just going up the step ladder…then I started the diet…then I took the decorations down after and it took me 10 minutes…didn’t even think about the height.

Just keep hanging in there! I really recommend anti-fungals (but make sure you protect yourself with molybdenum amino acid chelate – read the protocol for more info)…I rotate between capryllic acid and oil of oregano and just doing coconut oil and other whole food antifungals.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hello, Chessy. This is the post that Shay was talking about. http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst6918_Digestion-and-Depression.aspx
    In your situation I would take straight SAM-e instead of one of the precursors in the post, that is if you want to use a natural substance for depression – if that’s even a problem.
    Other than that though I’ve been fighting chronically inflamed tonsils for the past 8 months so I think my immune system is taking a battering from that angle as well.

I have decided to take a while off work and focus on trying to rest and build myself up. I’m still taking plenty of probiotics/kefir

The beneficial bacteria make up an enormous part of the immune system, so it’s wise to work on that aspect.

I’m also keeping stress levels ‘relatively’ low which I think is probably really important.

It’s extremely important. The adrenals can also cause a low-functioning immune system, and stress is the number one cause of adrenal fatigue. For the adrenals you can take the following supplements.

At least 4000 mg of vitamin C every day. For the adrenals, you should try to find a vitamin C supplement which also contains bioflavonoid. The ratio should be 1 mg of bioflavonoid for every 2 mg of vitamin C, or twice as much vitamin C than bioflavonoid.

Pantothenic acid (B5) is important for healing the adrenals. 750 to 1,200 milligrams a day is advised for this purpose.

Adaptogenic herbs; there are several, but my favorite is always going to be Ashwagandha which is on our protocol. Nettle leaf is also excellent for the adrenals, but for this purpose I would use the pure herb and not the tea.

If you work on your stress level and stay on these supplements plus a healthy (Candida) diet, it’s possible to see a small difference in as little as one to two weeks.

Symptoms of Adrenal Fatigue:

1. Excessive fatigue and exhaustion, chronic fatigue
    2. Non-refreshing sleep
    3. Sleep disturbance, insomnia
    4. Feeling overwhelmed or unable to cope
    5. Craving salty and/or sweet foods
    6. Sensitivity to light
    7. Low stamina and slow to recover from exercise
    8. Slow to recover from injury or illness
    9. Difficulty concentrating, brain fog
    10. Poor digestion
    11. Irritable bowel syndrome, IBS
    12. Low immune function
    13. Premenstrual syndrome
    14. Menopause symptoms
    15. Low blood pressure
    16. Sensitivity to cold
    17. Fearfulness
    18. Allergies,
    19. Frequent influenza
    20. Arthritis
    21. Anxiety
    22. Irritability
    23. Depression
    24. Reduced memory
    25. Low libido, sexual drive or interest
    26. Lack of lust for life and/or food
    27. Excess hunger
    28. Low appetite
    29. Panic/anxiety attacks
    30. Irritability, impatience, quick to anger.

Honey
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 1

Hey!
    I suffered from extreme anxiety that started in early childhood and didn’t become managable until about 2 years ago. The turning point for me was when I finally took up yoga. I began a steady power yoga practice which incorporated deep breathing and guided meditation through the use of yoga nidras. I found that the intense physical exertion I experienced each class required extreme focus. However, I was not focused on the physicallity of the asanas but on my mental clarity and emotional response to what I was putting myself through. The mental and emotional aspect of my yoga practice is what has helped me successfully stomp out my anxiety issues. If I could talk myself into holding very strenuous poses for what my brain was telling my body was way too long, I could totally talk myself out of a nervous episode and that’s what I’ve been doing ever since. I learned that even when I feel completely helpless or defeated or just plain terrified about life, when it all boils down to it this is my life and I am the only one who has the power to control my thoughts and feelings no matter how scary or messed up they may be at the time. I can make it ok, I will be alright in the end because I want to be. Now don’t get me wrong, it took and still does take a lot of effort to get to where I am now and I didn’t get into yoga for this purpose, I was actually quite uncomfortable with meditating and chanting and even group exercise when I first started but now if find it very theraputic and even empowering. If ever I stray from my mat for too long that old familiar feeling starts to creep back into my gut and I know it’s time to buckle back down and start taking care of my inner self. Hope that helped and maybe gave you a different perspective on ways to help work through anxiety in a more holistic way.
    XO
    Honey

Cheesey

Thank you all very much for your responses. I’ve been a bit delayed in replying as I’ve just felt too drained and irritable to sit here and write something, but I’m feeling a little bit better now.

I think rest is the most important thing for me at the moment. However I am developing a new problem that I have never encountered before: a fear of leaving the house. I think the fact that I had a panic attack in an isolated, unfamiliar city with no friends around and ended up in hospital, coupled with dizziness and fatigue, is making the outdoors a scary place. I have just got back from a short walk in the woods and a trip to the shop, however, as I CANNOT start avoiding going outside. That would be the WORST possible thing I could do. So, I need to find a balance between resting and scaring myself by heading out for short strolls.

Thank god I have acupuncture tomorrow. Last time I went for acupuncture it really gave me a boost for a few days which I really need right now.

I am really appreciative of all of your suggestions. I have ordered some Ashwagandha and Vitamin C, though I am going to hold off on the SAM-e for now as I like to try things one at a time to see their effect. Thank you Shayfo and Alexalgebra for your supportive words πŸ™‚ I do believe that I will get through this as I have been through so much crap before and come out that I don’t see that this will be different. Regarding Yoga, Honey, it is something I have considered before. I am also considering Tai Chi at the moment for similar reasons. I think I need to wait until I am in a bit better place physically as I am a bit of a wreck at the moment. Thank you though for your post πŸ™‚ It is certainly something I will consider.

I think I might start keep a journal so I can see progress over time even if I feel like I am getting nowhere.

Keep sending out positive vibes folks πŸ™‚

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

I got sort of cagey and reclusive at the beginning of the treatment, too, and still have little bouts of it, where I don’t want to leave the house to do something simple, like buy a can of coconut milk, because I can’t handle the energy involved in going outside and interacting with the world. I think the emotional and psychological stuff we have to work through during this process includes issues with vulnerability and with trusting our bodies again. This is true for me at least, and healing the body can’t be done without addressing our beliefs and habits and fears.

/hippie :p

Cheesey

That post speaks volumes to me, Shay πŸ™‚

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

Oh man, yeah…I went through a period of getting agoraphobic too, similar to shayfo. I think if anxiety is one of your symptoms, this is all part of this process :p The one thing that is cool, however, is that we (or at least me, and y’all judging from your posts) can recognize that these types of anxiety are not normal for us and that they are a part of the candida. I think even when I’m having some panic, being able to see how irrational I’m being (even if in the moment I can’t stop it) helps me get past it better than, say, six months ago, when I would just freak out and not understand why or that it was over the top.

Cheesey

alexalgebra;37423 wrote: The one thing that is cool, however, is that we (or at least me, and y’all judging from your posts) can recognize that these types of anxiety are not normal for us and that they are a part of the candida.

I don’t think mine is solely due to candida. However I can see that it plays a massive role. Before my current crisis my OCD thoughts that have plagued me for the past year and a half lessened significantly to the point where I could quite happily sit and think about how irrational they are as I would with any other unpleasant thought. Even now they haven’t really properly come back its more just worry that they will. I think that once the candida clears up I can work on my own personal philosophy and thought patterns much more easily than I have done before. That, for me, will be when I truly feel I have healed.

kradlegna
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 13

Hiya,
    I’ve pretty much suffered with depression and anxiety for most of my life, mainly trying to avoid having to take antidepressants as I hate having to rely on anything, have only really taken them once in my life before for about 6 months. Anyways, the other day I caved as things were getting too bad for me, especially on the diet that I’ve been on for about 2/3 months now, and went to the doctor and have been on SSRI’s since tues. Today I woke up with seratonin syndrome..fun fun πŸ™

I’m kinda wishing that I actually started taking SSRI’s sooner as maybe this would’ve prevented me getting this candida overgrowth in the first place as I know it’s a powerful anti-fungal. Plus the low levels of seratonin in the intestines are an ideal breading ground for candida, well all this could’ve been avoided I guess.

I was just wondering if you, Cheesey, continued taking your SSRI’s at all and what the outcome was? I’ve kinda found that my seratonin syndrome symptoms are worse before I’ve taken my morning SSRI pill..which is odd but I think I’m going to persist with it.

Cheesey

kradlegna;43134 wrote: Hiya,
    I’ve pretty much suffered with depression and anxiety for most of my life, mainly trying to avoid having to take antidepressants as I hate having to rely on anything, have only really taken them once in my life before for about 6 months. Anyways, the other day I caved as things were getting too bad for me, especially on the diet that I’ve been on for about 2/3 months now, and went to the doctor and have been on SSRI’s since tues. Today I woke up with seratonin syndrome..fun fun πŸ™

I’m kinda wishing that I actually started taking SSRI’s sooner as maybe this would’ve prevented me getting this candida overgrowth in the first place as I know it’s a powerful anti-fungal. Plus the low levels of seratonin in the intestines are an ideal breading ground for candida, well all this could’ve been avoided I guess.

I was just wondering if you, Cheesey, continued taking your SSRI’s at all and what the outcome was? I’ve kinda found that my seratonin syndrome symptoms are worse before I’ve taken my morning SSRI pill..which is odd but I think I’m going to persist with it.

No I only took it the one time and my GP and I decided that they seriously did not agree with my system. I doubt I’ll ever try them again.

impossible
    Topics: 16
    Replies: 606

Hey buddy,

Dont fret, you will get to the other side of all this. There are very real reasons you are experiencing what you are going through, and you will dig them out and take care of them, one at a time, and you will feel better. All those things that are really bothering you now just wont bother you when you get there. It is going to happen, just dont give up and dont stop digging for answers. You and I have alot in common and I think Im a little further along than you. I might be able to help ya some.

First, are you dead certain that you’ve flushed out all of your food/ supplement allergies? Just the fact that you have ocd says that you are that much more prone to inflammation. I can tell you from experience that bad reactions can be 10 times worse than die off and can make die off 10 times worse than it has to be. And they can take 4 or 5 days to clear out. If you are still reacting to things you’re ingesting, then nothing you do will make you feel better, physically or mentally, until you take care of them. This alone can cause every symptom you have. To give you an idea, I am personally allergic to gluten, all cereal grains including corn and oats, buckwheat, coconut flour and milk, dairy, chocolate, almonds, peanuts, sunflower seeds, yeast, and 90% of the herbal supplements and teas I’ve tried. It took a while to figure out thats what was causing my exaggerated symptoms and fueling my anxiety. I had none of these before my infection.
    Try just meat and simple greens and maybe millet and cut the herbals for a few days.

Second, you dont seem to be able to detox well. Like something about your physiology isnt capable of handling the load that die off puts on your body. Lemme tell ya, I can relate to that one too. I used to smoke. On a bad day, especially if was a hot summer day, ONE cigarette could me put through what sent you to the hospital. I’ve been through that many times. You’re not taking much moly and you’re not taking any b5. Triple your moly intake at least, you can safely go up to 1500 mg a day when you need to. Start taking b5. Im a carpenter, very physical job, and I CANNOT make it through a work day if I dont take b5. You’re body requires it in large amounts in order to make an enzyme thats necessary to detox aldehydes. Take up to 1000 mg a day. At least 500.

I wouldnt be surprised if those 2 things got you back up and running. Its a good start and worth a try.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Out of the frying pan…’ is closed to new replies.