Organic vegetables.

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Organic vegetables.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Downtown 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

catlover345
    Topics: 19
    Replies: 43

Do the vegetables REALLY have to be organic? things like celery sticks or avocados.. ?

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

I think it’s a case of what you can afford. It’s not just the pesticides that are a danger with non-organic produce, but the way they’re cultivated for yield, rather than nutritional content. They’re fed a macronutrient diet the equivalent of fat, protein and carbs, with nothing else.

I don’t have easy access to a wide range of organic vegetables and some of them are more than double the usual price, so I just buy what I can. I can get onions, garlic, broccoli, green beans etc at a decent price. Even if 20% of your produce is organic, at least that’s 20% less neurotoxic pesticides and 20% better quality nutrition.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

There are certain veggies that have less pesticides than others.

Foods high in pesticides:
    Apples
    Strawberries
    Celery
    Spinach
    Nectarines
    Peaches
    Peppers
    Potatoes
    grapes
    blueberries
    lettuce
    kale
    collared greens
    fatty meats
    coffee
    milk
    chocolate
    wine

Foods low in pesticides:

1. Onions
    2. Sweet Corn
    3. Pineapple
    4. Avocado Avocado
    5. Asparagus
    6. Sweet peas
    7. Mango
    8. Eggplant
    9. Cantaloupe (domestic)
    10. Kiwi
    11. Cabbage
    12. Watermelon
    13. Sweet Potatoes
    14. Grapefruit
    15. Mushrooms

http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy-eating/eat-safe/Dirty-Dozen-Foods#fbIndex20

Lucylu
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 345

Catlover – can I just clarify that most of the items on Rasters list above are NOT allowed on the diet? It is just explaining the fact about pesticides… not giving you a shopping list!

I buy only organic chicken & eggs as buying regular could be detrimental (due to levels of antibiotics and other nasties). As far as veg goes I try to buy the ones I eat raw organic… and the ones I cook from the regular section. Also the stuff I use most of like Aubegine(eggplant), onions & garlic I buy organic due to the qauntity I consume. I just simply couldn’t afford to buy all organic while feeding a family of 6!

Downtown
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 39

catlover345,

Since I do a lot of stirfry for supper, I get a lot of the ingredients frozen. There have been lots of studies done on frozen foods and nutritional value. Most experts say that the nutritional value is better in frozen foods because they are harvested at peak ripeness and frozen rather than being harvested far too early, before it has lots of its’ nutrients, and shipped where they ripen in route to the store shelf. That being said, I buy organic frozen broccoli, cauliflower, and cut green beans at a regular grocery store. I also get organic frozen cut okra, and a few other things at a local whole foods store. All of these frozen vegetables usually cost about $1.00 more per 16oz (1 lb) bag. Granted thats approximately double, but still not a bad price in my opinion. Also, you have a frozen vegetable that costs much less than fresh for the most part, and will keep much longer than fresh so waste is largely reduced.

Good luck,
    DT

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Organic vegetables.’ is closed to new replies.