Oregano herbs (the smallest amount) – causing massive die off

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Oregano herbs (the smallest amount) – causing massive die off

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  orka1998 6 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

bighopes
    Topics: 14
    Replies: 24

I had the smallest amount of oregano dried herbs sprinkled on my dinner yesterday and it seemed to spark a massive die off reaction about 4 hours later – I had major flu symptoms and was shivering and then heating up all night in bed, 15 hours later Im improved but still have crazy headache. Its the first time I tried these herbs roasted on a veg and had a very small amount – is this possible ? Am I this sensitive? I did have my usual does of nystatin(1/8 teaspoon tiny amounts also 1/8 teaspoon acidophilus) and small teaspoon of coconut oil in my breakfast and in cooking of dinner. Could it be that this amount of herb could be enough to tip me over and induce such a reaction – three months into this diet ? And does that mean that I still have a long way to go considering the strong reaction?

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

I had the smallest amount of oregano dried herbs sprinkled on my dinner yesterday and it seemed to spark a massive die off reaction about 4 hours later – I had major flu symptoms and was shivering and then heating up all night in bed,

Are you taking Molybdenum Amino Acid Chelate? If so, at what dosage?

15 hours later Im improved but still have crazy headache. Its the first time I tried these herbs roasted on a veg and had a very small amount – is this possible ?

Yes. If you’ve not used oregano previously it can cause a strong reaction if you take too much the first time.

I did have my usual does of Nystatin (1/8 teaspoon tiny amounts also 1/8 teaspoon acidophilus)

How long do you wait between the Nystatin and acidophilus? And what’s the count and strain on the probiotic?

Could it be that this amount of herb could be enough to tip me over and induce such a reaction – three months into this diet?

That depends on what you’ve been doing for the last three months as far as the exact food you’re eating and the supplements/dosages you’re taking.

And does that mean that I still have a long way to go considering the strong reaction?

If that was die-off, and it sounds like it is, then yes probably.

You should be seeing more of a change in three months. Are you following the protocol on the forum?
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst1334_From-Able-and-Raster-The-Protocol.aspx

Able

Chris24
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 329

15 hours later Im improved but still have crazy headache. Its the first time I tried these herbs roasted on a veg and had a very small amount – is this possible ?

Yes. If you’ve not used oregano previously it can cause a strong reaction if you take too much the first time.

Wait, I know oregano oil is a powerful antifungal, but freezedried oregano? Are you sure?

bighopes

Hi Able,

thanks for responding to me

I had the smallest amount of oregano – a few smallest of sprinkles,maybe I had ten flakes in total I find it most bizzare that it could impact me that much but I do seem to be sooo sensitive to everything ( I have had to stop taking olive oil on my salad as it was effecting me so much and the same with the coconut oil – had to cut right back….) I have not yet started to feel well since I started the diet.

I cant get my hands on the molybedenum as of yet….. I think they can order it for me but will take 6 weeks – I will have to keep trying to get this somewhere.

I have been taking nystatin on and off for three months and was trying to increase my dosages but it really makes me feel awful so Im reduced back to the tiny amounts(1/8tspoon again) I take it first thing when I get up and then the acidophilus after lunch I always make sure that I have three hours at least in between. The probiotic is 8 billion viable organisms FOS :1900MG and acidoph: 100mg Biocare high Potency Probiotic.

I am following the protocol as well as I can – which is mostly pretty good, I eat a non glutonous grain for breakfast, salad and egg for lunch and veg with meat for dinner but I tend to be really hungry in the middle of the day and then I go overboard with almond butter or hazelnut butter. I have since starting diet given up red meat and probiotic yogurts. I am taking vit c, L glutamine for my leaky gut, (most recent allergic reaction to cauliflower) A high strength multivitamin and mineral for women.
    I have the odd decaff cappaccino and the odd small amount of potato(once a week) and again the odd small piece of carob. I know these are off the list but I find it soooo hard being so strict on a permanent ongoing basis.

I am wondering if having had a lovely sunny day yesterday in Ireland (the first since the winter) I spent the day in the garden soaking up vitamin D – would this have an impact ?

If I am having die off does that definitely mean there is still a major infestation -or is there a chance that maybe I just cant handle antifungals at all???

I have a baby 11months that does not sleep through the night so I’ve been very very tired and I dont get a chance to catch up as my husband travels all the time, can this sleep deprivation and stress add to slow progress?

Again thanks for reading and responding
    P.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Sleep deprivation and stress can impede or set back your progress; if you can alleviate these problems then you will be able to heal much much faster. I had these starting the diet and once they went away I improved much faster.

I haven’t heard of anyone reacting to oregano as an herb, this is very unusual. You should test it seperately to determine whether this is what caused it and not the chicken/meat you ate.

I would carefully examine and alter your diet, you likely will find that you will heal faster. Otherwise you will be feeding and killing candida over and over again not making much progress with perpetual die-off. Eating a “half candida diet” will make your recovery longer, it can take as long as 6-18 months to fully recover from candida overgrowth.

I would consider removing the following:
    -almond or hazlenut butter (save for phase 2, contains molds) (I was allergic to this until 5 months into the diet)
    -“non-gluteneous grain”…whatever this is, it isn’t the same as going on a “grain free diet.” Grains such as rye can feed candida and contain starch.
    -coffee (contains caffeine and molds, de-caf still has caffeine fyi)
    -potato and carob (feeds candida); I am not even eating these often during phase 2, I’ve been on the diet over 9 months.
    -red meat (ammonia)…switch to turkey, chicken, seafood, buffalo, lamb.

As alternatives, I would examine eating other foods that are beneficial to your diet. These include:

-oat or rice bran (not oatmeal, not the same)
    -buckwheat
    -more veggies
    -Greek yogurt and/or kefir
    -coconut/buckwheat/teff bread
    -pumpkin pie muffin bread

-raster

bighopes

I appreciate your response Raster, I have been following your progress here with great admiration and believe that you must have great self discipline and from this I must learn.

If I was following the correct diet – when MIGHT I see an end to die off ?
    I think I could handle the diet if I was feeling good but that is yet to happen !

I will defo try to ammend food choices and look at the stress/ rest component. My family (not husband thank god) all think this is in my head so its hard to hold firm when they don’t understand and it stresses me out but I will have to push through.

However why might you think that the meat (lamb) could cause such a big die off if it wasnt the oregano?? Can you explain the difference if there is one between greek yoghurt and plain natural probiotic yoghurt? I have tried non gluten oatcakes but felt they were setting me back. My grain for breakfast is rotated between millet, buckwheat, quinoa, or amaranth. Is pumkin seed butter and tahini also a no go at this stage ?

Im happy to include as much veggies as poss but have had allergic reactions to cauliflower and broccolli so these are out and Im cautious to try anything not tried already but I have a pretty good base of veggies to eat from, however should I be rotating these as I am afraid of overdoing anything ??

thanks again in advance
    P.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

The lamb could’ve caused “die off,” but you could’ve also had a food reaction to the lamb instead of a die-off symptom. They feel pretty similar in general so its hard to say.

I would eat some dried oregano and see if this causes anything. I then would try out a few bites of (plain) lamb and see whether this does anything. You need to pinpoint what it was for future reference. If it was non-organic lamb than this could’ve definitely caused a food reaction with the antibiotics. I used to react to antibiotic infested low grade chicken.

I have no idea how long die-off will last, but for me it lasted about 2-6 weeks. It might end sooner if you restrict your diet more.

I have no idea if pumpkin seed butter or tahini are ok; I believe tahini may not be, but do not recall (do a “search for it”). Pumpkin seeds contain mold, so I have a feeling it contains a good amount of mold. I would consider trying out coconut oil (which is an antifungal) as a butter replacement.

I wouldn’t worry about rotating veggies unless you are highly concerned you will develop new allergies. I haven’t developed any new allergies to foods I’ve stuck with throughout the diet from a personal experience.

-raster

orka1998
    Participant
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 673

Hi bighopes,

My advice is to pull back on antifungals completely until you stop having die-off from common antifungal foods or get a hold of molybdenum. I’m not sure if oregano was what got you, or it may have been the last drop that pushed you into die-off on top of other stuff you are taking. I used to get dizzy from just having few sips of chamomile tea or drinking kefir and had fallen ill with die-off from having two or three antifungal foods in a meal, one of them way to powerful (rutabaga). Fist bad die-off I got was from the diet itself who weeks into the protocol, next one about a month, third one at 7 weeks… I was also doing it without molybdenum. I finally got it and I must say that it does make a difference. Today I got brave as I was feeling well and had some extra stuff on top of starting low dose of antifungal two days ago and felt the die-off getting at me few hours after. I had the regular dose of molybdenum and bumped it by one dose and pulled through, managed to finish my day. Can’t say that I feel great, but I was able to get two screaming children to bed in time without tears (mine or theirs) and I know that you will know what I mean by that since you have two small kids as well.

What I also wanted to suggest is to get the foods that feed candida out of your diet such as potato. If you keep feeding the candida and take antifungals at the same time, you are in a closed circle. You feed it and kill it all the time. Also, I would like to suggest that you take the supplements which are suggested by Able and Raster. I noticed that I was able to fight off the candida and die-off only when I got all of the suggested vit/min supplements (A, D3, E, C, Cal/Mg/Zinc). For the hunger, try making a oat bran flour/buckwheat bread. It’s just great and so easy to make. Let me know if you want me to send you the recipe. When I get hungry, I just have a slice or two of that bread with Greek yoghurt or kefir and pull through. I was sensitive to the coconut bread so I had to stop making it. I also like this other bread better as I prefer dark crusty breads and with this one it feels as though I am eating one of those expensive Germain breads 🙂

I know you want to get rid of candida as soon as possible, but you need to be able to function while at it and not harm your body too much. I am over two months on the diet and barely started shyly to add some weak antifungals. I have a jar of coconut oil which I didn’t crack open yet. I am trying to do this and still be able to care for my kids and, also very important, myself since if I am unable to care for myself I am unable to care for anybody else. Die-off will not let me do any of it.

I too am shocked as I didn’t think I had a bad infestation and was sure that I will get rid of it in a month of two tops. None of us really knows how bad it is and how long it was there, and what’s worst we don’t know how long it will take us to get rid of it.

So take it easy and just give yourself a break. It’s tough enough to care for those two kids, especially since the little one doesn’t sleep through the night. Stress does make this worse. We had a cold go trough the house past week and being awake all night monitoring kids fever is tough. Next day I was much worse than usual, my stomach felt like I was eating rocks and I was sure I was worse than before. Also, one of my girls will not eat and sometimes it upsets me so bad that I can feel how much it sets me back. I try not to get to that place of high stress, but it’s tough, especially when I don’t have the time and she sits there for hours not wanting to swallow her food. How do you not get upset? Even if I keep my poker face, I am still boiling on the inside and it gets me.

Anything you can do to make it easier for yourself just do it. I gave up on playing perfect mom. If I don’t feel well I will give her something she likes to eat, pick lesser of the evil and not go for chocolate, but perhaps I give her a whole grain cereal with dried fruit and milk as she will eat that without problems. I can make her eat something else when I am able to stand my ground and make her eat it without setting me back.

Good luck and I hope you get better very soon!

Arijana

bighopes

thank you guys,

Its funny Arijana how much we have in common, my baby wont eat either – he just refuses point blank – he doesn’t even go for sweet things and this really stresses me out too ! I understand that one well.

I will try the buckwheat bread, as similarly the coconut bread was causing me reactions also. I will get the vitamins and try for the molybdenum and will hope to see some better progress soon.
    Ill keep you posted

With much gratitude
    P.

orka1998
    Participant
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 673

I found that buckwheat by itself is much too dry and empty. Here is the recipe I’m using (picked it up from the forum but can’t remember from where, sorry don’t want to take credit from someone else):

3 cups flour (half oat bran flour and half buckwheat flour, sometimes I replace part of buckwheat flour and throw in half a cup of brown rice flour, a no-no item which should not be eaten regularly but I make sure I don’t eat a lot of it but it tastes even yummier)
    1 1/2 cups warm water (optional substitute 1/2 cup water with milk kefir or Greek yoghurt, if using Greek yoghurt adjust water – add little more if needed)
    1 tbls of coconut or olive oil
    3 eggs
    1 tbls of baking powered/ use no aluminum baking powder

You can add rosemary, garlic or whatever spices you like. Later In the diet you can also add chopped organic raw almonds, ground flax seed, sunflower seeds etc.

Bake it between 175 and 200 C for about 35-45 minutes (depending on thickness and crust preference).

Keep us posted how you are doing!

Arijana

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Oregano herbs (the smallest amount) – causing massive die off’ is closed to new replies.