Onion and gas

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Onion and gas

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Vinci 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Vinci
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 39

I’ve been eating more onions recently and it is giving me gas. Anyone have the same reaction? They are high in fructose so I don’t understand why they are recommended.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Vinci wrote: I’ve been eating more onions recently and it is giving me gas. Anyone have the same reaction? They are high in fructose so I don’t understand why they are recommended.

If onions bother you that much, don’t eat them. They’re on the diet because they’re another great prebiotic. You can substitute by eating more of the other prebiotic foods such as avocado, asparagus, Jerusalem artichokes, raw garlic and others.

Able

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

It’s probably the inulin that feeds bacteria. Onions are one of the #1 foods that aggravate IBS. Experiment with asparagus or garlic if you still want to consume it in smaller amounts. Artichokes have 3-5 times more than onions, so they’d probably spell trouble. Some people get along better on low-fibre diets, but you need to experiment to find out what agrees with you.

Vinci

The reason I am eating them is because they’re a prebiotic. And the fact they are giving me gas doesn’t bother me. I’m bothered because the symptom could be an indication that they are not doing me good. I’m bothered because it could be a sign that I am not digesting them properly, or that I have consumed too much fructose.

Vinci

I don’t get what you mean Javizy. Do I want to be consuming inulin, and is it for the good bacteria?

Javizy

Vinci wrote: I don’t get what you mean Javizy. Do I want to be consuming inulin, and is it for the good bacteria?

If your gut flora is in good shape, inulin will help support beneficial bacteria. If it’s in bad shape, inulin will help support the bad guys too, which is why people with IBS/IBD suffer on significant amounts of FODMAPs of any kind.

It’s impossible to know exactly what “suits” your guts without experimenting. Keep in mind that it takes time to adjust to new foods and diets as well.

Vinci

I was told I had ibs, but have never looked into FODMAPs. I’ve just been looking through a list of foods to avoid. Garlic’s in there too, which I’ve been eating, but haven’t had any reactions from. I guess it’s just a matter of eating different foods and if I get gas from it, then cut it out until later. If there are no noticeable symtoms, then I presume it isn’t doing any harm.

Javizy

Vinci wrote: I was told I had ibs, but have never looked into FODMAPs. I’ve just been looking through a list of foods to avoid. Garlic’s in there too, which I’ve been eating, but haven’t had any reactions from. I guess it’s just a matter of eating different foods and if I get gas from it, then cut it out until later. If there are no noticeable symtoms, then I presume it isn’t doing any harm.

Yeah, limiting your diet further isn’t great if you don’t need to.

Vinci

The vegetables I’ve been living off of (mainly cauliflower and broccoli)are FODMAPs to avoid. This is limiting. Has anyone got experience with a FODMAP and Candida diet?

And why are carrots and potatoes allowed on a low fructose diet but not a candida one?

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Carrots and potatoes are high in starch and relatively high in sugar and thats why they are not on the diet…this applies to rice which shouldn’t be eaten on the diet as well as corn.

Another reason you could be experiencing gas is because onions are an antifungal as well.

-raster

Javizy

Vinci wrote: I was told I had ibs, but have never looked into FODMAPs. I’ve just been looking through a list of foods to avoid. Garlic’s in there too, which I’ve been eating, but haven’t had any reactions from. I guess it’s just a matter of eating different foods and if I get gas from it, then cut it out until later. If there are no noticeable symtoms, then I presume it isn’t doing any harm.

I think the idea of a low-FODMAPs diet is digestibility. FODMAPs aren’t digested by human enzymes, so they ultimately end up being eaten by bacteria. Simple starches like white rice and potatoes are more likely to be broken down and absorbed in the small intestine. Certain fruits and sugars are even more easily absorbed. I think preventing undigested food from reaching the colon and maintaining stable blood sugar are the most important things to aim for.

Vinci

I always thought that the candida was caused by me not digesting food properly

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Onion and gas’ is closed to new replies.