Old diet tastes different?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Old diet tastes different?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  orka1998 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Angel29
    Participant
    Topics: 56
    Replies: 101

Last night it was my husband’s birthday and he insisted we go to his favorite Chinese restaurant for dinner. I got Chicken and Broccoli which I love…but this time it tasted very bad to me, even though my husband said it was just as good as before. This is not the first time this has happened. A few months ago I took a few bites of a Subway sandwich and it too, tasted really bad. I’ve taken a few bites of frozen dinners here and there and they all tasted terrible. Has this happened to anyone else? Your old diet doesn’t taste nearly as good as before or even tastes bad?

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

I think this happens. You’re eating fairly simple, fresh foods most of the time, and your palate becomes refined. When I backslid from veganism to vegetarianism for a while a few years ago, I was like “wait, this is what pizza tastes like? really?” Just…not good. Not like I remembered, definitely. I find the same thing happens to me with snack foods that I used to really love.

It’s not the worst thing to lose our taste for processed items or MSG or preservatives. It’ll make maintaining a healthy diet after reaching a cure that much easier 🙂

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I’ve noticed this too to a certain degree. I would try out some of my favorite foods and it just wasn’t the same. I believe candida influences your pallet and the cravings make the bad foods taste really good somehow when candida is thriving.

What I notice in general: The processed mass produced foods taste bad, while the high quality foods that are made from scratch taste a bit better. However it varies widely how I feel afterwards despite the taste. In general, I noticed when I cheat, I just feel like junk. I ate some potato chips this weekend, and they just put me in the dumps…just gave me bad energy. Some of these foods make you feel good immediately, and then bad 10 minutes later.

I just try to eat foods that make me feel good now and thats basically everything in this diet.

-raster

Kag
    Replies: 402

I noticed this especially with chinese food. I went to a restaurant several months ago, when I wasn’t being as strict in my diet and everything tasted super-sweet! It was weird. I have always had a sweet tooth but this food was just over-the-top sugar-wise. It made me have a little hope that someday I won’t crave sugar and bread like I do now.

shayfo

Chinese food, especially the fairly Americanized kind (most of it), has a ton of sugar in the sauces.

Also, Raster, potato chip hangovers are a real thing! Ugh. I can’t even count how many times I made my PMS worse by giving in to the desire to eat chips. As if the cure for being bloated and having a headache is to eat a bunch of salt, haha.

Angel29
    Participant

Shayfo: It’s actually great that processed foods are starting to taste bad, it’s getting a bit easier to avoid them because a lot of times I tell myself, “it won’t taste good anyways, why bother eating it? No thanks!!”

shayfo

Yep! And you’ll have new favorites that actually make you feel good.

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

I have had it happen both ways…I have been on various restricted diets for the last two and a half years due to food intolerances. No gluten, potatoes, sugar, soy, corn, etc…list kept getting longer, and then sometimes I would just break down and eat whatever when I was starving and hadn’t prepared well for a party or something.

I found that Doritos, which I used to eat by the bag, are freaking DISGUSTING!!! Who knew? So are donuts and cheap cake :p

However, there were some other foods, like whole wheat bagels and bread with a million seeds in it, that are still like heaven on earth to me and I really, really can’t wait for the day that I can eat them every once in awhile again.

Same thing with potato chips…I had a breakdown about two months ago and bought a small bag of some crazy flavored chips (my biggest weakness) and it was practically a religious experience. It took me three sittings to get through the small bag though, so I didn’t overdo it or anything. I could definitely tell that more than a handful would make me very sorry. Some habits are hard to break…but it doesn’t mean I’ll ever go apeshit on them again.

Angel29
    Participant

lol @Doritos. You have no idea how much I miss Cheetos!!

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

Oh man…I miss Cheetos in theory, but before I went vegan about a year and a half ago, I bought myself one last bag of them and ate it all in one night. I have never been so sick in my life!!!! I was puking them up all through the night, so freaking nasty!! After that, I don’t think I ever want to touch one again :p

Angel29
    Participant

I should try that!!! 😀

Kag
    Replies: 402

I miss bagels, cream cheese and creamy salad dressing the most… Those are my weaknesses. I can live without serious junk food but man, an everything bagel… nom nom 🙂

orka1998
    Participant
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 673

I didn’t cheat much, and if I did, it was definitely none of the junk foods, but I would eat tiny bit of brown rice or baked potato every once in a while when I had no other options or I would sample a bite or two of cheese. Did not have any sugar, but had 1/4 teaspoon of honey few times in oat bran breakfast meal. I must say that it tastes super sweet to me. I eat granny smith apples now and those taste sweet to me. I thought that my dad purchased the wrong kind and had my mom taste it and she says: “yup, they are sour to me”

I didn’t taste pizza in probably year and half and just looking at it, I cannot make myself take a bite. It has no nutritional value to me and presents only trouble. The only thing I miss on this diet is cheese as I am cheese lover (I must have been a mouse in past life!) and I sample a bite or two occasionally when preparing kids dinner. I must say that same cheese I ate before this diet tastes much stronger, much more flavor than before.

So yes, your taste does change after a while. But I think it’s for the better. If you choose to reintroduce some sweet into your diet, you will probably not overdo it anymore. I feel that I could just die if I ate a chocolate cake (and I must say that it doesn’t seem all that attractive to me any longer).

Arijana

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Old diet tastes different?’ is closed to new replies.