nutritional yeast

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions nutritional yeast

This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  alexalgebra 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

soldia4
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 27

nutritional yeast obviously bad right?

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

It is found in one of my vitamins and my naturopath feels that it has no negatives on fighting candida; he feels that my body will be able to get over any detrimental effects of nutritional yeast.

-Raster

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

soldia4 wrote: nutritional yeast obviously bad right?

Believe it or not, there are a few species of yeast that Candida cannot feed on. One of these is saccharomyces cerevisiae which is in Brewer’s yeast, which is of course a nutritional yeast.

Able

soldia4
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 27

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat? I can use nutritional yeast? Holy glory! Now i can make that delicious raw mac and cheese from cafe gratitude! (at some point) check it out >http://cafegratitude.com/our-blog/drawxs-raw-baked-macaroni-and-cheese.html it’s magically delicious. My day is brightened at least 15 percent 🙂 Thanks guyyss

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

Is this still the general position of the experts? Nutritional yeast is fine? I reeeally want to make cauliflower “cream” sauce.

UncleOxidant
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 56

What about leaky gut reactions to nutritional and brewer’s yeast? I thought that was the main issue with it and why yeast is generally avoided on a candida diet because generally folks with candida would have cross-sensitivities to it? Otherwise why do we avoid yeasted breads?

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

I thought that nutritional yeast was a cousin to MSG and should be avoided. It makes me break out in a rash exactly the same way that MSG does 🙁

orka1998
    Participant
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 673

I’ve heard that nutritional yeast might be safe for candida suferers, but I did not test it. On the other hand, I researched it a bit online and found something else that makes it kind of pointless to take it on this diet:

Major Interaction Do not take this combination

Medications for depression (MAOIs) interacts with BREWER’S YEAST

Brewer’s yeast contains a chemical called tyramine. Large amounts of tyramine can cause high blood pressure. But the body naturally breaks down tyramine to get rid of it. This usually prevents the tyramine from causing high blood pressure. Some medications used for depression stop the body from breaking down tyramine. This can cause too much tyramine in the body and dangerously high blood pressure.

Some of these medications used for depression include phenelzine (Nardil), tranylcypromine (Parnate), and others.

Moderate Interaction Be cautious with this combination

Medications for fungal infections (Antifungals) interacts with BREWER’S YEAST

Brewer’s yeast is a fungus. Medications for fungal infections help reduce fungus in and on the body. Taking brewer’s yeast with medications for fungal infections can reduce the effectiveness of brewer’s yeast.

Some medications for fungal infection include fluconazole (Diflucan), terbinafine (Lamisil), itraconazole (Sporanox), and others.

As most of us are taking some form of antifungals, we would be throwing our money on nutritional yeast as a supplement. Now, in terms of replacing cheese, I would be curious if someone tested it and if they are OK with it. I have few recipes that could use a cheese replacement. Without cheese, it’s just not it 🙁

Arijana

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

I use nutritional yeast more as a seasoning/flavoring than as a supplement, though I’d be interested to know what aspect of it becomes less effective as a result of antifungals. Is mineral/vitamin absorption from it less efficient? I don’t actually know what people use it for medicinally.

FreeRadical44
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 6

alexalgebra;32525 wrote: I thought that nutritional yeast was a cousin to MSG and should be avoided. It makes me break out in a rash exactly the same way that MSG does 🙁

From Sally Fallon’s Nourishing Traditions :

Yeast, Nutritional: Dried nutritional yeast is an excellent natural source of B complex vitamins (except for B12)plus a variety of minerals, particularly chromium, so important for the diabetic. Yeast does not contribute to candida as has been claimed=candida feeds on refined carbohydrates, not yeast. The late eminent physician Dr. Henry Bieler treated many cases of chronic fatigue with nutritional yeast supplements. Unfortunately, most commercial brands of nutritional yeast contain high levels of MSG-formed during high-temperature and chemical processing from the glutamic acid naturally present in the yeast. (Actually, high levels of natural glutamic acid in yeast make it an excellent superfood for alcoholism and sugar cravings.) Look for yeast that has been processed at low temperatures. It should be a light yellow color and dissolve easily.

So…just be careful what you are buying. Products are certainly not created equally!

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

Cool, good to know! I was wondering why it actually only would make me break out sometimes. There’s one particular restaurant that I literally started getting hives all over my face and arms about three or four bites into my meal (some kind of raw sunflower “cheez” pate sandwich thing)…they must use the cheap kind :p

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘nutritional yeast’ is closed to new replies.