Nursing Mom with Candida

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Nursing Mom with Candida

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  KiwiRae 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Jewels
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 1

I developed candidiasis when I was carrying my first born. At about 29 wks pregnant i had to have my appendix removed. After surgery I was given antibiotics for a few days and another harsh drug to stop contractions. After the trauma of surgery my body wanted to deliver my baby. Anyway at 30 wks my son was born. (He’s healthy and awesome and 4 now!). Over the next few months I had major sugar cravings and started getting a rash on my fingers and the skin would split. After researching i realized what I had. My son got thrush one time. I had it on my nipples too. We both we’re treated and it never came back. Now I’m nursing my 7 month old daughter who got thrush once too. I still have candidiasis. And it’s worse. I have 3 Questions:
    1. Can candida pass through my milk and infect my kids that way?
    2. Can my kids get it from me while in the womb?
    3. I know I can’t go full force with the diet while nursing but can I kill some or a lot of the candida by taking probiotics and coconut oil even though I’m still eating some foods that feed it?
    Thanks! I appreciate your input!

mamasez
    Replies: 3

Hey there – I’m a nursing mother as well, I have four kids and I’ve had yeast infections on and off for the past 7 years, so although I can’t offer any suggestions for you, I’m there with you 🙂 Also, I’m interested to see what replies you get to your post.
    Take care!
    Sarah

Rabelais
    Blocked
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 268

I can only answer part of your questions. That’s because I rather not speak up when my level of knowledge is too low. So I will answer only the question where I think I do have the knowledge to answer.

That would be your question 1: can candida pass through the milk.

The answer is: yes. It can and it will.

The reason is that everyone has candida. It’s on our skin, in our mouth and nose, on all of our mucous membranes, in our intestines, and so on.

So even if candida isn’t in your milk, it certainly is on your breasts and on your nipples. It’s on your hands. It’s in the tiny droplets you inevitably produce when you talk to your baby. So you will transfer it to your baby, no matter what. Even if you wouldn’t do that, others would.

So the question is not about having candida. The question is about having candida overgrowth.

The latter is a matter of balance. Balance between all of the organisms that are on us and inside us. Remember that our micro-organisms outnumber us (by a large margin!) when it comes to cell count.

How to achieve balance? By doing nothing special. Balance is the normal situation. Eat healthily. And don’t be overly “hygienic”. If your baby starts moving about and eats some dust off the floor in some forgotten corner – don’t panic. She’s just adding more micro-organisms to her system, which will help achieve the required balance. When she starts playing outside, gets dirty, even eats some mud – let her. When she falls and has a wound – do only basic cleaning. No disinfectants please! The wound will swell a bit, it will get red, maybe yellowish stuff will come out – that’s all part of the body’s own exquisite defense system, which you must allow to develop, to train itself on properly doing its job.

Protect your children only from the real threats, the ones that may permanently endanger their health. Embrace small threats, because they are no threats – they are health boosters.

Rabelais

Jewels
    Replies: 1

Rabelais;58589 wrote:
    I can only answer part of your questions. That’s because I rather not speak up when my level of knowledge is too low. So I will answer only the question where I think I do have the knowledge to answer.

That would be your question 1: can candida pass through the milk.

The answer is: yes. It can and it will.

The reason is that everyone has candida. It’s on our skin, in our mouth and nose, on all of our mucous membranes, in our intestines, and so on.

So even if candida isn’t in your milk, it certainly is on your breasts and on your nipples. It’s on your hands. It’s in the tiny droplets you inevitably produce when you talk to your baby. So you will transfer it to your baby, no matter what. Even if you wouldn’t do that, others would.

It makes a lot of sense what you’re saying. I appreciate your input!
    So the question is not about having candida. The question is about having candida overgrowth.

The latter is a matter of balance. Balance between all of the organisms that are on us and inside us. Remember that our micro-organisms outnumber us (by a large margin!) when it comes to cell count.

How to achieve balance? By doing nothing special. Balance is the normal situation. Eat healthily. And don’t be overly “hygienic”. If your baby starts moving about and eats some dust off the floor in some forgotten corner – don’t panic. She’s just adding more micro-organisms to her system, which will help achieve the required balance. When she starts playing outside, gets dirty, even eats some mud – let her. When she falls and has a wound – do only basic cleaning. No disinfectants please! The wound will swell a bit, it will get red, maybe yellowish stuff will come out – that’s all part of the body’s own exquisite defense system, which you must allow to develop, to train itself on properly doing its job.

Protect your children only from the real threats, the ones that may permanently endanger their health. Embrace small threats, because they are no threats – they are health boosters.

Rabelais

KiwiRae
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 12

The way I understand it from doctor and personal experience (also nursed two children), the baby inherits the mothers immune status to some degree. If your own immune system was compromised, or a yeast overgrowth present during pregnancy and birth, this would have been passed to the baby. The thrush is indicative of an inadequate immune system, which all babies have, but those with compromised mothers more so. It would be reasonable to suggest probiotics for the baby and the toddler and (it’s a good rule to live by anyway) a diet low in processed sugars and starches.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Nursing Mom with Candida’ is closed to new replies.