Newbie looking for direction

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Newbie looking for direction

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  dave 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

dave
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 34

Hi all, hope I a posting in the right place as this is my first time here. A very brief background for myself before I get to my questions:

I had pneumonia about 5 years ago and nearly died on it. Was prescribed several increasingly powerful antibiotics to treat and back then was referred to Dr. Crook’s book. Being 21 and haphazard to a degree and gave the diet a half assed try and when it didnt produce the results I hhoped I deemed myself a non candida sufferer. Over the next few years my energy and strength returned at an agonizingly slow rate as I had gone from runner, martial artist, weightlifter to barely making it from the car to the couch each day. For reasons unknown to me I eventually recovered well enough to return to my regular activities and was going hardcore physical activity for about a year and a half. In this time I had graduated college, gotten married, and started my first real people job. This was going well for about a year until I decided to add grad school to the mix and began having serious issues with anxiety, panic attacks etc. I finally dropped down to p/t shcool after a semester and found that I had hypothyroid and adrenal fatigue, both of which had been tested in years past and showed normal results. I read through Janie Bowthorpe’s Stop the Thyroid Madness and joined a Yahoo group for adrenal fatigue. I started Hydorcortizone, Florinef and a host of other horrid meds for about a year at which point I finally weaned off of them when they werent doing me any good. I have been off them for about 8 months now and am taking natural dessicated thyroid or as some may know it, Armour. I have returned to Crook’s book recently and will now share my symptoms which indicate Candida:

-Whitish/yellow coating on tongue, especially in the morning and returns even after brushing off
    – red spots on tongue closer to the tip
    – bad breath despite good oral hygiene
    – severe sugary carb cravings
    – severe fatigue to the point I cannot stand for more than a few minutes at a time (wife has to do everything)
    – brain fog
    – hard to get out of bed

Those are all I can think of atm. I have also recently started a supplement call Lauricidin which is supposed to be a more potent form of monolaurin and a potent antifungal killer. I am gluten free and 99% vegan with the occasional cheese or chocolate in the diet…actually the chocolate is more than occasional its probably daily as the Candida has to eat too right 😉

At any rate if someone could please direct me in the right way to find what I need to know to kill this thing and keep it dead? I have seen many on these boards who have beat it back for a time, only for it to return later and all there work was for naught…Id prefer to get it right the first time and am trying to get my ducks in a row before jumping in headfirst.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

At any rate if someone could please direct me in the right way to find what I need to know to kill this thing and keep it dead? I have seen many on these boards who have beat it back for a time, only for it to return later and all there work was for naught…Id prefer to get it right the first time and am trying to get my ducks in a row before jumping in headfirst.

We have a protocol as well as a strict diet which most of the forum members use. Read the testimonies, and if you’re interested, let me know and I’ll send the link to you.
    Forum Testimonies

No one is going to tell you that it’s easy, but it’s possible to become well once again as many of us have proved to ourselves. It could take up to a year – or longer if you screw up a lot, and I can tell you now for absolute certainty, if you continue to eat chocolate every day – or every other day – or even every week – you’re wasting your time with the protocol and diet both.

Able

dave

Thanks for the response. Im down with not eating chocolate every week, though it would be nice to have it every now and again I think I can get myself to a point where Im not craving sugar and chocolate if the candida is truly behind my “CFS” or extreme post exertion fatigue and all the other symptoms. I have been going over the protocol with a fine toothed comb trying to take an assessment of everything I will need to consider. Here are a few questions I have as I make my way through the site:

1) I currently am both gluten free and vegan which have been fairly extreme adjustments to my diet, both of which have given me good results. I juice usually twice a day and this is a major factor in my feeling better in a different way than I would hope, but better is still good. A staple of my juicing is beets and carrots, both of which are not on the foods I can eat during the “cleanse”…I presume that I will be able to return these foods to my diet after the cleanse and if so when? Also part of this question, I take a supplement through Vega for extra protein which only has 1 gram of sugar…would that be OK even during the cleanse?
    2) I am not sure that I could do the more intense cleanse of the liquid diet and other cleansing as I am already very weak and struggling to maintain my work and school performance. If I opt to go with the 7-14 day cleanse of mostly veggies and spices will this be sufficient to knock out the candida and how do I transition from this cleanse diet to a regular “candida safe” diet? I am stll scouring the site as I said but extra direction is helpful to ensure I dont mess up as much as possible. I have been fighting this for years and didnt even know it til recently and have had many screw ups and false hopes so I want to have an idea of how this will go.
    3)Should I use the probiotics I have through the less intense cleanse listed or would this be a waste as the site suggests?
    4) Anything else you would tell a newbie on the precipice of this protocol? Whether it be long term diet, natural anti-fungals or something else? Thanks so much for your help here 🙂

–Dave

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Hello dave,

I can answer some of your questions:

1) We recommend following our strict forum diet. Able900 has a copy and email him if you want a copy. Juicing beets and carrots is pretty close to consuming fruit as far as I’m concerned and this should be reduced as much as possible…you can have a little but not a lot.

2) I would just start eating foods on our foods list and slowly add them every few days or so. Food introduction is outlines in the protocol…

3) Probiotics will just be completely wasted on any cleanse because your body is detoxing so save them for after the cleanse.

4) My suggestion is to heal and protect the liver and kidneys as much as possible as you heal and get better. You need to do a variety of things in order to get better and its basically all up to you to come up with a good plan to get better.

-raster

dave

Ok and to follow up, the beets and carrots being juiced…is limiting them for the duration of the cleanse, shortly after as I am introducing food back in, or does it extend even to long term maintenance diet?
    Also, do you feel the less intensive diet is sufficient for dealing with candida even though it isnt as aggressive as the other?

Lastly, I have never been “tested” for candida per se, but the spit test, variety of symptoms, and environmental factors, diet, lifestyle etc all seem to point to it…would you say this is sufficient to proceed? Thanks

raster
    Participant

Hello Dave,

I would eliminate carrots and beets for a long time, because both are high in the GI index (glycemic index). These are very high in sugar which needs to be avoided on the diet. Cabbage is also a high GI veggie but most people don’t consume a lot of it.

The website diet is less strict than our forum diet but it is still problematic because it promotes eating beef and rice which we don’t think you should have on the diet.

The spit test is not accurate:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6iryzPoBow

I would educate yourself on the various diets out there and what they contain. I would then come up with a diet that suites you best.

In general I think its best to avoid the following:
    -Dairy
    -Grains
    -Alcohol
    -Smoking
    -Foods that are dried and contain molds (nuts, seeds, etc)
    -Sugar and fake sugars
    and probably a few things I am missing.

As you get better, you can introduce more food items but plan on a 6-18 month recovery time to get over candida overgrowth. On my blog post/story I mentioned how its a waste of time to get more strict as you go along as you will make little progress…

-raster

dave

Ok, I have been scouring the forum and the site since I have been off work for Christmas and trying to wrap my head around what I need to do. I have listed below what I have gleaned from our conversations and my research and my intentions. Please let me know if I have anything incorrect or should add something I have forgotten. Thanks:

Since I cannot do the more intense cleanse I will be doing the veggie diet for probably about a week or more. I also plan to start using MloyB amino Acid Chelate from Solgar prior to beginning the cleanse diet. Additionally, I was going to use a protein mix by Vega which is derived from all the veggies listed and has only 1 gram of sugar…this could be mixed with unsweetened almond milk or if this is unacceptable, water.

After ending the cleanse I will start the Stage 2 strict diet which seems to include mostly nuts and meat for protein and am wondering since I am mostly vegan/vegetarian the best way to get protein and nourishment if many of the beans are blacklisted? Is there a point where black, lima, red, or other beans are acceptable in the diet and must they be prepared a certain way? Also I saw nuts must be soaked and peanuts and cashews are to be avoided…forever or just until things sooth out?

At this time I will also add in anitfungals of oregano oil, garlic, Lauricidin (derived from lauric acid and much stronger) and grapefruit-seed extract, rotating each of them every few weeks to ensure the Candida cannot adapt. Probiotics will also be added at this time (though I already take 25 B every day and have for months) I am wondering if ThreeLac and FiveLac are the best out there and should be rotated in with my existing ProB?

Eventually I will be adding things in to my diet as I go making sure not to go too quickly to monitor each new food’ impact on my body over the course of several months…

The big question I have now which has been elusive to me for many years is this: by reading my story of pneumonia and subsequent treatment with corticosteroids for Adrenal Fatigue I have a serious problem with not being able to exert myself in any way…I can’t even stand very long to take a shower and have to limit even that and my daily routine is 95% sitting. I am on thyroid meds now which have helped to stabilize but I am not sure WHEN to transition from the cleanse to the Stage 2 diet as I feel like garbage most days and would be very surprised if suddenly something clicked that was discernible for me to know when I have begun to feel better?

I have never been tested for candida but have 98% of the symptoms related to it and figure I must have it and if so it would supersede all the other disorders of thyroid, adrenal, EBV and so on. Any advice, insight or comments on the above would be most helpful as I am really at a turning point in my life and need a win here. I am certainly willing to commit to the diet/protocol as I currently merely exist and stumble from one day/week/year to the next and need to find something that works. Thanks again for your time.

kodaz2005
    Topics: 37
    Replies: 172

raster;31784 wrote: Hello Dave,

I would eliminate carrots and beets for a long time, because both are high in the GI index (glycemic index). These are very high in sugar which needs to be avoided on the diet. Cabbage is also a high GI veggie but most people don’t consume a lot of it.

The website diet is less strict than our forum diet but it is still problematic because it promotes eating beef and rice which we don’t think you should have on the diet.

The spit test is not accurate:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6iryzPoBow

I would educate yourself on the various diets out there and what they contain. I would then come up with a diet that suites you best.

In general I think its best to avoid the following:
    -Dairy
    -Grains
    -Alcohol
    -Smoking
    -Foods that are dried and contain molds (nuts, seeds, etc)
    -Sugar and fake sugars
    and probably a few things I am missing.

As you get better, you can introduce more food items but plan on a 6-18 month recovery time to get over candida overgrowth. On my blog post/story I mentioned how its a waste of time to get more strict as you go along as you will make little progress…

-raster

Hi Raster, just curious. Cabbage is the main ingredient used in Sauerkraut, so I was intending to make a lot of Sauerkraut and consume it quite often. I just bought a bunch. Fermented vegetables are supposed to be quite high in Probiotics. So how could this possibly be bad for us?

raster
    Participant

Hello kodaz,

During the fermentation process the bacteria feed on the sugar and thus it reduces the amount of sugar. Additionally, the probiotics should outweigh any and all negative effects of the sugar.

Hello dave,

I would leave high mold nuts alone such as peanuts. If you have leaky gut, you will definitely be able to see why rather quickly. Many people develop leaky gut once they start killing the yeast. We recommend eggs as a source of protein. I don’t think beans will set you back too much if you use these as your source of protein but keep in mind that carbs convert to sugar, so don’t overconsume on them. The forum breads are rather high in protein as well. My naturopath recommends all vegetarians convert to eating meat when he treats candida.

The protein mix sounds pretty good as an alternative, however it contains peas which is high in starch like carrots and rice. We don’t recommend rice on the forum until stage 3 or very late in your treatment. Sprouted rice is healthier though…rice bran is allowed on the diet though because it is a prebiotic.

Threelac and fivelac are definitely some of the worst probiotics on the market in our opinion. It only contains less than 1 billion cfu per capsule and you need ideally 30-90 billion cfu probiotic per day to get better. We recommend these probiotics:
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst1108_Lactobacillus-acidophilus-DDS1.aspx

We also follow different stages on the forum:
    stage 0: detox/cleanse
    stage 1: long term anti-candida diet
    stage 2: basically for when you feel better and are symptom free
    stage 3: basically a healthy non-candida diet

I would not plan on going to stage two for quite some time; for me it took about a year to feel good enough to venture into this stage (not everyone heals at the same rate).

You could have a rough time starting with the diet based on your current symptoms, it likely will make you feel worse before you feel better. A great way to heal faster is to consult a naturopathic doctor.

My only other suggestion is to consider trying out acupuncture which rebalances the body and detoxes the body as well.

-raster

dave

Ok, that is helpful. I may allow some eggs and fish back into my diet but probably not anything else meat-wise. So I guess instead of peanut butter I will need to use almond butter from now on then too…Is it better to simply purchase it or make it? I have my own food processor that makes nut butters.

I have seen so much stuff it is really hard to keep things straight…is there even a reason to consult the site at this point since the allowed food there is not as strict and could interfere? I know we have to do our own research and all but I recall Abel saying that stricter is better at first lest you make a mistake. I am jut trying to understand what foods we can add back in after the “cleanse” which for me will just be the veggies for a week or two…I have Abel
    ‘s private site but it isnt broken down into Stage 1-2-3 per se and seems to only address phase 1-2 so I wasnt sure if we are adding in things like eggs and beans directly after the cleanse or if those are “test” foods, among others? Sorry I am having like serious brain fog and I think I have looked at this so much for the past week my eyes are crossing. Not trying to be confrontational, just want to get it straight in my head first so I can mentally prepare myself for what I am committing to.

Lastly, since I dont do dairy and it doesnt seem very good for people anyways does there exist keifer which is non-dairy I can make or buy or is it pretty much yogurt in itself? Thanks for putting up with all my questions. Hope to start this in the next few days or so.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Newbie looking for direction’ is closed to new replies.