New symptom for me-SALT craving

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions New symptom for me-SALT craving

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Vegan Catlady 5 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Vegan Catlady
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 626

I dont sugar crave, I salt crave.

I read where some naturopathic doctors say this is from adrenal exhaustion, and htat it is okay to give in to salt cravings.

Anyone else have this too?

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I get it occasionally. I think it relates to nutritional and mineral deficiencies.

-raster

Vegan Catlady

Thanks raster.

I just found this-

A note on salt and adrenal imbalance

My patients are always surprised when I tell them to give in to their cravings of salt during periods of adrenal fatigue. Salt cravings in adrenal insufficiency are related to low levels of a steroid hormone called aldosterone. This hormone helps the body maintain salt and water as a way to help regulate blood pressure. When cortisol goes up, aldosterone goes down. Like cortisol, aldosterone fluctuates throughout the day, and is also influenced by stress. Chronically low levels of aldosterone can impact electrolyte balance, and sodium intake is one way to help correct this imbalance.

If you experience lightheadedness when you get out of bed in the morning, or when you get out of a hot bath or shower, you may have hypotension or low blood pressure. This is a common side effect of adrenal insufficiency, so adding good quality-salt, such as Celtic sea salt, could be helpful to manage those symptoms.http://www.womentowomen.com/adrenal-health-2/eating-to-support-your-adrenal-glands-2/

An imbalance in electrolytes . A deficiency symptom. Your right,raster.
    Electrolytes

Electrolytes are minerals in your blood and other body fluids that carry an electric charge.

Electrolytes affect the amount of water in your body, the acidity of your blood (pH), your muscle function, and other important processes. You lose electrolytes when you sweat. You must replace them by drinking fluids.

Common electrolytes include:

Calcium
    Chloride
    Magnesium
    Phosphorous
    Potassium
    Sodium

Electrolytes can be acids, bases, and salts. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002350.htm

Aside from salt cravings, low blood pressure and light-headedness, patients with adrenal fatigue often experience an irregular heartbeat, lethargy, muscle weakness, and increased thirst. These are all a result of imbalance in sodium and other minerals, including potassium and magnesium. Increasing your salt intake is one way to help restore these imbalances.
    http://blog.adrenalfatigue.org/adrenal-fatigue/eating-right-for-your-adrenal-glands-part-4-salt-aldosterone-and-adrenal-fatigue/

TheChosenOne
    Participant
    Replies: 410

It’s indeed adrenal insufficiency. I usually eat some Himalayan salt if I have cravings.
    Eating some salt is healthy. Being low on salt can lead to HCl deficiency and allergies.

Vegan Catlady

TheChosenOne;54971 wrote: It’s indeed adrenal insufficiency. I usually eat some Himalayan salt if I have cravings.
    Eating some salt is healthy. Being low on salt can lead to HCl deficiency and allergies.

You are spot-on.

For the first time in years im tired.
    I mean, im feeling exhaustion. Not used to it, its like the flu.

I have sea salt, but I understand Himalayan has many minerals in it.Probably alot better for you.

Tdog333
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 245

I used to get it really bad when I was feeling worse a few months ago. I still get it from time to time but not quite as strongly.

Vegan Catlady

Tdog333;54977 wrote: I used to get it really bad when I was feeling worse a few months ago. I still get it from time to time but not quite as strongly.

Do you see any patterns with habits/foods and this feeling?
    Does it accompany detox, or healing?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘New symptom for me-SALT craving’ is closed to new replies.