New So Delicious…thoughts?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions New So Delicious…thoughts?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  alexalgebra 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

So Delicious just came out with a new unsweetened vanilla coconut milk. Although I am skeptical of anything processed, I wondered what folks thought about the ingredients.

ORGANIC COCONUT MILK (WATER, ORGANIC COCONUT CREAM), VANILLA EXTRACT, NATURAL FLAVORS, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, MAGNESIUM PHOSPHATE, CARRAGEENAN, GUAR GUM, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, VITAMIN D-2, L-SELENOMETHIONINE (SELENIUM), ZINC OXIDE, FOLIC ACID, VITAMIN B-12.

I am concerned with “natural flavors” (UGH) and “vanilla extract” – potential for alcohol there.

However, it claims to have 0g sugar/serving (of course we all know that doesn’t necessarily mean 0g, thanks shoddy FDA labeling!)

Total Fat 4.5g 7%
    Saturated Fat 4g 20%
    Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 15mg 1%
    Potassium 50mg 1%
    Total Carbohydrate 2g 1%
    Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
    Sugar 0g
    Protein 0g

Anyway, probably best to avoid it, but a boy can dream. I miss things with flavors.

sushified
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 31

I saw these at whole foods and read the ingredients and passed up for now. I agree about the vanilla extract and ‘natural flavors’

mrs.candida
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 452

Alex,

I would eat that in a pinch. I’m sorta jealous I can’t buy it here. Have you thought about making your own? I make these “frosting shots”
    http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/01/16/chocolate-frosting-shots/ with carob and no sweetener.

She has some great ice cream recipes, you could make your own.

alexalgebra

Nah, I mean sometimes i put vanilla in stuff.

No carob for this guy yet…its not on the strict list. Ill check it out for later though!

I did find this amazing thing called coconut butter…its like coconut oil but with pureed coconut pulp too I think? Its just a touch more coconutty and sweet and a better texture for spreading on things. Am only having it in very small amounts. Its too good lol

mrs.candida

Alex, even if you skip the carob it’s still good. I have had that coconut cream you speak of it’s good. I also got a fresh coconut the other day, it was a nice treat but I could only eat so much of it, it’s just so fibrous.

jameskep
    Participant
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 220

Calcium Phosphate- Not a fan of calcium supps.. can cause more indigestion by buffering beneficial acids.

Carrageenan- a thickener that can be a mild gut irritant.

Vitamin D-2- a fungus derived form of Vitamin D. Vitamin D-3 is a better alternative.

Your better off just doing coconut milk/cream with some ice cubes(put in the blender) and a little Stevia. Although i’m not a fan of doing sweetners on a regular basis.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

The main thing to worry about is what are the natural flavors? This should not be listed if it is truly natural, what does this mean?

The other thing to worry about is that coconut milk is highly inflammatory and very high in saturated fat:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3114/2

I personally had weird BM’s after coconut milk myself and it made me feel bad (just heavy and sleepy, took away my energy).

-raster

mrs.candida

Hey Raster,

I have a question about the coconut milk being high in saturated fat. Isn’t that saturated fat the same as the coconut oil we take? can someone clarify?

hope4eva77
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 548

I have been putting this exact brand in my bread maybe I should stop idk it was the only way to keep it moist without so many eggs I did think the natural flavors was iffy, thanks for posting this!

I guess ill stick 2 plain yogurt in my bread

jameskep
    Participant
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 220

I don’t know how much I would trust the inflammation number from that website. According to that website coconut oil has a inflammation number of -1798:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fats-and-oils/508/2

There are many people that do coconut oil without it creating strong inflammation. Seems like more people would be complaining more about coconut oil if it was causing that much inflammation.

Mrs. Candida–Not all saturated fat is created equal. Studies have shown that the saturated fat from coconut oil should not cause heart disease. The saturated fat from coconut oil is much easier to digest than saturated fat from animals. There are many tribes+warriors that lived off of lean meat(that has saturated fat) that did not have heart disease. What to be more concerned about is over-fried vegetable oils and hydrogenated oils. These oils will cause much more issues than saturated fat. Although, some animal fats can be hard to digest for some people. The problem with a lot of commercialized meat is how sedentary the animals are and what they are being fed. These practices effect the quality/digestibility of their fat.

The problem with some coconut milk is the thickeners they put in them. There are only a few companies that have coconut milk without any thickeners. I think a few of them are on amazon but they are pricey. I’ve definitely heard of coconut milk or oil giving people loose stools or diarrhea. So for some they might be limited with their coconut oil/milk use.

mrs.candida

I’m sorry my question wasn’t stated clearly.

What’s the difference between the fat in coconut milk and the fat in coconut oil? Why would one be so beneficial and one not so beneficial?

Mrs. Candida–Not all saturated fat is created equal

I agree, of course. But am I wrong in assuming that the saturated fat in coconut oil is “created equal” to the saturated fat in coconut milk.

Flipper
    Topics: 33
    Replies: 79

I’m wondering why people don’t trust stevia. I’m afraid I use it a lot. Is that bad?

alexalgebra

Xylitol is a sugar alcohol and is bad news. I can’t remember exactly why, but there are posts about it on here.

I just don’t trust anything sweet. I have some dried stevia leaves from my friend’s yard that I occasionally put a little in something, but otherwise, nah. Don’t really need it anymore. I’m used to things without sweetener.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘New So Delicious…thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.