New Protein Sources

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions New Protein Sources

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  benc 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

xday2dazex
    Topics: 81
    Replies: 108

Hi, so I’m wondering what I should add to my diet to get the right amount of protein in my diet because my doctor says I need to get around 50 grams a day in (my blood is abnormal because of lack of protein). I used to eat from 4-8 eggs a day but got worried about cholesterol levels and my naturopath said eating so many eggs will burden my liver too much. I tried hemp seeds a while ago but couldn’t tolerate them, and I don’t want to overdo it on salmon/chicken. Does anyone have a good suggestion to get up to 50 grams a day in a healthy way? I was also wondering if it’s safe to take BCAA’s at early stages of the treatment, because if so, I’ll just grab some from whole foods. Thanks.

-Day

Rachie2712
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 13

You could have eggs whites instead of the whole egg, you can have up to 8 a day they are a good source of protein!

Candida Hub
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 24

Have you tried quinoa? It’s a grain that is a great source of protein and can be used in ‘sweet’ and savoury dishes.

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

How do eggs burden your liver? Is he referring to the protein content, which would seem strange given your problem? Is your cholesterol already high? This is usually a symptom of something, rather than anything to do with dietary cholesterol. Are you consuming over 50g/day of carbs? If you’re in ketosis and eating low protein, you’re literally wasting muscle by the hour, because it’s your main source of glucose. You need at least 600-calories/day from carbs + protein to avoid wasting. I’d aim for at least 200 from each and balance it in the way that feels best/most convenient.

Seeds are a bad source because they’re packed with omega-6s. Same with most nuts. Sources like quinoa, oat bran and buckwheat come with a lot of starch and aren’t as bioavailable as animal protein. All plant sources have drawbacks like phytate and phytoestrogens, so make sure you prepare them thoroughly and keep them varied.

Gelatin is good to add to sauces/soups. 9g has about 7g of protein like an egg. Kefir has over 3g per 100ml. Do you tolerate dairy? 1-2 glasses of kefir, 10g gelatin, 2-3 eggs and rotating plant and animal/fish sources should allow you to push way over 50g/day.

You could look into supplements, but wholefood protein sources tend to be full of valuable nutrients. The fact you have a protein deficiency might suggest you haven’t been obtaining many of them (fat solubles and B vitamins esp B12 etc), although I suspect it has more to do with the low-protein and low-carb diet, two things that should never go together, unless you’re Arnold Schwarzenegger and want to lose 100lbs of muscle.

benc
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 419

xday2dazex wrote: Hi, so I’m wondering what I should add to my diet to get the right amount of protein in my diet because my doctor says I need to get around 50 grams a day in (my blood is abnormal because of lack of protein). I used to eat from 4-8 eggs a day but got worried about cholesterol levels and my naturopath said eating so many eggs will burden my liver too much. I tried hemp seeds a while ago but couldn’t tolerate them, and I don’t want to overdo it on salmon/chicken. Does anyone have a good suggestion to get up to 50 grams a day in a healthy way? I was also wondering if it’s safe to take BCAA’s at early stages of the treatment, because if so, I’ll just grab some from whole foods. Thanks.

-Day

I would consider changing your doctors. Even most of the old school docs have accepted the eggs/cholesterol myth, was it exactly that. If it bothers you, poach or boil your eggs. Most people with high cholesterol will lower it by reducing process foods (which you have to do on candida diet) & do some exercise (which depending what stage you are in, will be easier or harder).

Have you tried hemp seed protein? you might tolerate it better. You can variate low mercury fish sources, vary your poultry (chicken, guinea fowl, turkey, wood pigeon – all organic).

50g is very low, I had that for breakfast this morning in fact:
    -Coconut water kefir blended with 50g of hemp protein & 25g of flaxseed
    -2 eggs
    -100g of sauerkraut
    -Chicory coffee, with 5g of maca powder.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘New Protein Sources’ is closed to new replies.