New Member Intro & Raster's Candida Bread, Veganized

Home The Candida Forum Foods & Recipe Ideas Breakfast New Member Intro & Raster's Candida Bread, Veganized

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Onolicious 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Onolicious
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 2

Aloha!

I am brand new to this forum! My husband and I are vegans trying our best to adhere to the 90-day candida diet as outlined in Ann Boroch’s book, The Candida Cure. We’re approaching the 30-day mark and while my husband is happy to have lost all the excess belly fat he was carrying, he is unfortunately still continuing to lose weight and is constantly hungry and misses bread. So last week I set out on the www to find a decent bread recipe and came across Raster’s Original Teff Bread Recipe posted on this great forum.

Reading all the glowing feedback Raster’s recipe received was enough to convince me to try it. I set out modifying it only with the use of flax as an egg substitute. While hubby was happy to have bread again, I didn’t like the overwhelming buckwheat flavor. Four trial loaves later, I think I’ve finally come up with a vegan version good enough to share with all my fellow vegan candida-sufferers out there!

To dilute the buckwheat and lend a more neutral flavor to the end product, my version includes part millet flour. In addition, because as vegans we rely so heavily on nuts, seeds, grains and beans, I was determined to “sprout” as much of the ingredients as possible in an attempt to neutralize the phytic acids in them. Also, I found Raster’s recipe a little too heavy-handed on the fat for my liking so reduce the oil a bit as well.

One caveat: the blending of the soaked flax and chia seeds unfortunately does require the use of a heavy-duty high-speed blender. Even my Vitamix struggles a little to process the thick goop they produce! (If you do not have a Vitamix, not to worry! Feel free to forgo the soaking and just grind the seeds and mix them with the water.) I’ve also halved the recipe because through my trials I’ve found that due probably to the lack of eggs, the bread does not set as quickly and requires more time to cook thoroughly. I figured that making a smaller loaf ensures that the middle will not be raw.

Here is the recipe along with some sugar-free and candida-friendly eye candy!

VEGAN CANDIDA BREAD

Ingredients:

2 T chia Seeds
    3 T flax Seeds
    1 ½ cups purified water
    ¼ cup coconut oil
    ½ cup teff flour
    ¼ cup buckwheat flour
    ¼ cup millet flour
    ¼ cup coconut flour
    ¼ cup almond flour
    ¾ tsp baking soda
    ¼ tsp cream of tartar
    ¾ tsp sea salt
    3/8 to ½ tsp stevia powder

Method:

Soak the chia and flax seeds overnight in the purified water. Blend the soaked seeds with the coconut oil in a heavy-duty blender until smooth. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
    In a medium-sized bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until smooth. Add water until the consistency of thick cake batter. Pour into a loaf pan that has been oiled and floured. Bake in a preheated to 350 degrees F oven for 1 ½ hours or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

I can’t thank this forum and Raster enough for sharing the original recipe! Hubby is over-the-moon happy to have bread again which has done wonders to strengthen his resolve to continue the diet…. Now that I conquered the bread hurdle, I feel slightly better-equipped to tackle a birthday cake. Hubby’s birthday is next week and baking a cake for him will be tough: not only will it have to be vegan AND candida-friendly but sans stevia as well since we don’t like a strong stevia aftertaste!

Anyone got any ideas? =o[

LukeAlden
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 1

Hi! I did try and send this as a private message, but the forum wouldnt let me…

My Name is Luke, Not sure on your name though!

I was really impressed with the sound of your Vegan Raster Bread recipe and was hoping you can help.

My girlfriend is newly vegan after a long time being veggie and on top of that she has been battling candida for the last month or so.

She is currently running out of will power due to the boredom of the bland food day in day out. She is finding the whole thing very stressful especially having to plan meals far in advance.

I as hoping you could point me in the direction of some quick and easy vegan recipes for snacking. That’s the main one she is struggling with at the moment.

That said though, any recipes you have would be really helpful.

I just want to make her life a little easier…

Hope to hear from you soon!

Cheers

Luke

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Im glad you made it work out without the eggs!

-raster

Onolicious
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 2

Aloha, Luke!

Thank you for replying to my post!

I empathize with your girlfriend! I’ve been vegan for over 10 years but having to battle candida for the last 4 months has brought my dietary restrictions to an entirely new and extra challenging level!

Since you asked for them, I figured you’re probably not the only one in need of anti-candida, vegan-friendly recipes so I went ahead and posted a few of my favorites here on the forum.

A couple of lunch/dinner ideas:

VEGAN KABOCHA, LEEK & FENNEL GRATIN

SPAGHETTI SQUASH WITH VEGAN PESTO

And for breakfast:

VEGAN GARBANZO “OMELETTE”

You are a wonderful boyfriend to support your girlfriend! I wish her the best of luck in her endeavors to stay vegan while combating candida! If I think of any other share-worthy recipes, I’ll be sure to post them as well and will add links to them on this thread.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘New Member Intro & Raster's Candida Bread, Veganized’ is closed to new replies.