New at this and not doing well

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions New at this and not doing well

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Griff 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Finn
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 0

Hi
    So I did a blood test to see about candida and it came back as a moderate amount so I am trying the diet to rid myself of this and the symptoms I’ve have for years. Today is day one and after reading on this forum for hours I’ve managed to learn a lot but am still not sure about some things.

This afternoon I began having the most ridiculous headache I think I’ve ever had, coupled with crippling nausea. Is this even right? how can I possibly feel this sick in one day? Is this a sugar withdrawal or perhaps caffeine?

My other problem stems from vegetables – in that I don’t like them. And not simply don’t like them like I am being picky but don’t like them to the point of gagging when forced to eat them. Does anyone have suggestions for how to make this better or make it work cause I am dedicated to doing this but I don’t know how to get through two weeks of vegetables only.

Any help or suggestions are most welcome cause I am not so sure I can do this but really need to.

BlueSkies
    Participant
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 73

Hi, Finn;

I’m sort of new at this too, but I can attest that you can feel ill almost immediately. I had started altering my diet before Christmas and didn’t eat dairy, bread or any yeast, caffeine and increasing my vegetables, and in a short time I felt like I had the flu for four days. At present, I sometimes I feel generalized (sort of) unwell and have little energy.

This is the Candida dying off.

Over Christmas I started the Candida diet that Able900 and raster put together, as well as using their advice on cleansing and supplements. For the first four days, my body was in rough shape. I felt like I was losing it mentally an physically and I wondered how I would go for months on this strict diet. I’ve come to realize something. It was the Candida that was making me feel this way. I’ve come to view it like an alien, almost like the one in the Sigourney Weaver movie, and in order to ensure its own survival it will release toxins to make you want to eat what it needs to survive. My phylosophy is forget that… I won’t give in!

As far as the vegetable go, I have to be honest. You’ve got to suck it up. You have to eat something and high alkaline vegetables will feed you and starve the Candida.

Look on the main page for the Diet, Cleansing, and Vitamin posts. They are very good.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Hello Finn,

The nauseau and headaches can start immediately…very soon after starting the diet. This will last for a few weeks or longer depending on the extent of the overgrowth.

If you want to reduce die-off symptoms, molybdenum can help protect the liver and other organs from the toxins. Another idea is to sweat out the toxins via steam room, hot tub, sauna, or even hot bath. The die-off at times can be pretty bad, very similar to having a cold or flu.

Finn, so you are saying you are a picky eater? Welcome to my world man…I was so picky when I started this diet it is not even funny. I am close to the pickiest eater I have ever known. I am like you and don’t like vegetables really; this is part of the reason why you are here…your diet isn’t healthy enough (before the candida diet).

Unfortunately, you will have to do your best to grow out of this to get better. Look at eating veggies as your medicine…your cure. Veggies are very healthy for you and can do a variety of things to heal and detox the body.

Do you like salads? Do you like cauliflower? Is there any veggies that you like? When was the last time you tried something like broccoli?

If you hate veggies and salads, I recommend trying juicing. Juice those veggies and make a smoothy a few times per day. Just don’t overdo the amount of tomatoes and carrots because they are high in sugar. If you don’t like the flavor, hold your nose while you drink it!

You mentioned something about eating veggies for two weeks straight; this isn’t completely necessary and its up to you how you do the diet.

-Raster

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

How do you eat vegetables? Steamed green beans with sea salt or rocket, cucumber and avocado salad with lemon juice and olive oil are two simple and tasty things I’ve been making. Of course, if you actually cook a proper dish they’ll be much more delicious. Maybe a stirfry with Chinese 5-spice and sesame oil could be a good way to get a variety of them. You could throw in eggs, meat or buckwheat with it too (when you introduce them). Vegetable dishes can be even better than meat ones if the chef is good. The best food I ate last year was at a vegetarian Indian restaurant. When I tried making an aspargus, courgette and garlic soup, it practically made me gag. You really just need to experiment.

kirstyk4
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 125

BlueSkies wrote: I’ve come to view it like an alien, almost like the one in the Sigourney Weaver movie, and in order to ensure its own survival it will release toxins to make you want to eat what it needs to survive. My phylosophy is forget that… I won’t give in!

BlueSkies I love that you call it an alien. That’s exactly what I call it as well! Whenever my stomach starts being vocal or have a lot of die off/reactions, I always tell my husband that my alien is angry/acting up.

Finn,

So true about the “alien” making you think you need things you don’t. When I first started the diet, I used to hate the food I ate. Now I LOVE most of it. I am being introduced to new foods that never would have tried if not for the diet. Your tastes will slowly change if you stick with it. I brought brussel sprouts to work today for lunch and my coworkers were all like “EWWW” but I think they are great.

It feels very bland and repetative at first. But you’ll experiment and find different dishes that you really enjoy. Check out the recipes section on this forum for some great ideas. Often times they give me great ideas for something new to try.

Himawari
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 65

My recommendation for the veggies: go raw.

I gag on most steamed veggies, personally, but I’ve found I can eat the same veggies raw no problem. Spinach and green beans, for instance, are quite edible raw.

When it comes to salads, forget the romaine lettuce base… I way prefer spinach, dandelion greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, etc. They have a stronger flavor and can take a little getting used to, but are way more nutritious and interesting than lettuce. Although I will admit the whole heads of “living” lettuce you can buy in their own little containers with the roots still attached are decent. If you live in the US and have a Whole Foods or similar store near where you live, really study the green leafies they have in stock (I was impressed with WF’s selection last time I was there); it’s easy to skip over foods you’re unfamiliar with if you don’t look at each individual item.

I’ve also found that, personally, I find cucumbers and green bell peppers gross when part of a salad, but have no problem eating them on their own. Maybe it’s the dressing, maybe I just don’t like how they mesh with other veggies, who knows. Point is, you need to play around with foods to make sure you actually don’t like them under any circumstances before writing them off.

Olive oil, black pepper, basil, oregano, avocado… there are lots of foods that are okay on the diet that can be used to spice up a salad. Personally my favorite, however, is grilled chicken. I cut the chicken up into bit-sized chunks and grill it in olive oil on the stovetop. Throw in some garlic, salt, and other spices and eat with your salad. As long as there’s a little meat flavor in my mouth as well, I can put up with any salad, no matter how icky.

My other recommendation for veggies: don’t forget about frying. I don’t do this often because it takes more time than a salad, but the following fried in oil are really yummy (as in, I liked them even before starting the diet): green bell peppers, eggplant, onions, turnip root. Same deal; cut into little cubes, toss in a frying pan with some olive oil, cook until desired level of crispy brown.

Worst-case scenario: buy a season of your favorite TV show on DVD so you can pop in a disk when it comes to veggie-eating time. If you can’t make the food good, you can at least distract yourself enough that you will only kinda notice.

Griff
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 21

Depending on the kinds of things you’re allowing into your diet, there’s LOADS of good stuff you can eat, I have found. My boyfriend actually made me a really nice stir-fry with chicken and wild rice a few weeks ago. And I even made a spinach and black olive pizza (with special crust) to take to a pizza party, so I’d have something to eat too. For Thanksgiving I made a stuffed chicken that was amazing – and for dessert a sugar free, yeast free, wheat free pumpkin cheesecake. And you can incorporate spinach into near anything – casseroles, bakes, stuffings, stir fries, soups…you get the idea.

But now I’ve gone back to the detox diet, to make sure I’m getting rid of as many of the “nasties” as I can before I go back on the normal Candida diet.

As veggies go, a lot of it is a matter of habituation. The more you get used to eating greens, the better they start to taste. (Trust me!) I’ve started steaming veggies in a bamboo steaming basket, which I line with “Wirsing” (savoy?) leaves and fill with Brussels sprouts, broccoli, kale, etc. One way to make these guys more appetizing is to drizzle them with lemon juice or ACV. I actually put apple cider vinegar in the water I’m steaming the veggies with, which flavors them a bit while cooking. I’m avoiding dairy for now, but you could drizzle them with olive oil or ghee (or butter, if you’re doing that) for more flavor. (At least I think that would be ok – you’d have to ask the guys!) Then herbs and spices. You can find great blends from Penzey’s and even at your local supermarket to try out.

Of course, maybe you’re like my father, who refuses to eat stuff like broccoli unless it’s buried under cheese and salt. Question: Do you like potatoes? When I was home for Christmas, I made a cauliflower and celery root puree that could stand in for mashed potatoes. My dad loved it! Just steam the cauliflower and celery root until tender and mash/blend with a mixer. You can either play up the sweetness of these two veggies (think: cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, coconut milk), or you can make it savory by mixing in some garlic (I like to roast my own in the oven) and/or horseradish. (I added a bit of plain kefir for texture.) Then add spices as needed. Penzey’s Northwoods Seasoning is my favorite. I put it on everything – eggs, veggies, buckwheat bread, fish, chicken…you name it! Otherwise pepper and cayenne works great – or thyme, rosemary, paprika, etc.

Then there’s always guacamole (minus tomatoes) and/or refried beans (if allowed…not sure). You could dip things like celery, cauliflower, broccoli, etc. in them or rock them on their own.

My plan for the next couple months is to do LOTS of experimenting with anti-Candida recipes. If you’re like me and you love to cook, then see this as a creative challenge, not a setback! If not, it’s definitely an opportunity to get in better shape. And what better time than the new year? 🙂

Can’t wait to raid the recipes section of this forum in a week or so when I’m done detoxing…

Viele Grüße,
    Griff

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘New at this and not doing well’ is closed to new replies.