Neurological Symptoms

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Neurological Symptoms

This topic contains 17 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Javizy 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

cmoore
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 24

I think Im dealing not just with a Candida issue but with Gluten as well, but I wanted to get some feedback. Regarding neurological issues like numbness and tingling, loss of coordination, etc. Its like being drunk and not drinking. Share your stories if you have have dealt with neurological problem, how addressing Candida has helped you etc.

Thanks,

Clayton

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I used to have seizures every single day for a week or so I lived in my moldy apartment. This was about 1.5 years ago (a year from last november). Every time I went to sleep one night I had a seizure and that night I had about 6 of them. Ever since I removed mold and dust from my environment (by moving) I haven’t had a seizure.

I then felt “retarded” for the next 6 months dealing with the aftermath of severe candida overgrowth. I had debilitating brain fog…I just could not think straight, I was very irritable and had a short temper. I could not deal with life and everything was overwhelming.

I had this “drunk but not drinking” feeling when I was at my illest. My blood and bodily circulation was awful and I felt very uncoordinated.

Eventually I figured out that I had candida overgrowth and went on the diet. Day by day it was a relief to feel slightly better. Eventually 9 months later I am pretty much “symptom free.”

-raster

Lauren
    Topics: 44
    Replies: 267

I don’t know where to start. My neurological symptoms started while I was on my honeymoon. I was sick for many years before this with things different things but the neurological issues seemed to start at this time. At first it was just my big toe that felt like it had fallen asleep, like the pins and needle feeling. It spread to my whole foot and my other foot started to have problems. By the time I got off the airplane it was very hard to walk because my joints in my foot hurt and it felt uncomfortable to walk on my feet because of the pins and needles feeling. While on the honeymoon the pins and needles moved up my leg and started to occur in my hands. My feet lost the sense of feeling. I could touch press my nail in my feet and I could not feel it. My toes swelled. I then had zapping pain in my legs, almost like they were being zapped by something electrical. Along with this I had my muscles twitch and feel like they were on fire, like they were burning. Itching feeling also occurred. This occurred mostly in my legs.

By the time I got to see my doctor at home my legs felt very heavy. My doctor sent me for an EKG as soon as possible. The EKG tech came into the doctor office. The results said my nerves where not responding normal. (Later on when I got EKG done again at the University or Michigan Hospital and I found out that the results for this test could have been wrong because they did not warm up my legs to a certain temperature before performing a test.) I was then sent to a Neurologist that was close to home. She did a simple test with a needle that she poked me with until I could feel it. She found that I had lost of feeling from my feet to just a little below the knee and my finger to half way up forearm. She called it a glove and stocking type of neuropathy. I was sent for a MRI and they result showed everything was normal. I was very very happy! However, the zapping pain, burning of muscles, and twitching of muscles was getting pretty bad. It was occurring through out my body, but not my face. It was very hard to sleep at all. I was given lyrica for the pain.

My doctor thought I most likely had guillain barre and we would just have to wait it out. But my strength was still good after many weeks and she decided to give me Mirapex because my muscle started to tighten up. You could touch a muscle and feel a knot in it. This was when I was in the most amount of pain. It felt like Charley Horses in every muscle. Lyrica was not helping so Mirapex was given to me to give some relief. It helped but it had many other bad side effects. I was tested for low levels of certain nutrients. I had low B12 and very low Iron. However even fixing these nutrient deficiencies I was still have problems. My doctor solution was Mirapex and that I had restless legs. This did not make sense to me because my problem was through my whole body. I stopped taking Mirapex. I decided to go see another nuerogolist at U of M. While I was waiting to see the doctor my symptoms seemed to get better. The problems started with my feet and moved slowly up my body. Based on what I remember once it reached my neck the muscle twitch stopped, expect in my feet occasionally. However it left me with exhaustion, tiredness, brain fog, sore body, and joint and muscle achy. I have not experienced muscle twitching until I recently took a parasite cleanse (especially in my toe and ears). I had twitching in my intestine when taking a candida cleanse.

I have very bad brain fog now. It is very hard to remember anything and hard to concentrate. I also feel very unbalanced, but I have always been clumsy. I also have dizzy spells. I also pass out sometimes while having a bowel movement. One time I hit my head because I pass out and I had a small seizure after passing out, lucky my husband was there. It was right after I got the MRI so my doctor did not know what to do because the test showed up normal. Sorry for how long this is. I am sure I missed something.
    Thanks,
    Lauren

Lauren
    Topics: 44
    Replies: 267

Oh I forgot one thing. I do not know if teeth grinding is a neurological thing but I occur right after the my muscle twitching stopped.

cmoore

Wow, thanks for sharing your amazing story. It reminds me of some of the stuff Ive read on the Celiac forum. Autoimmune reactions to Gluten have been pretty intense as well. People have lost the use of limbs, gotten off Gluten and over the months recovered.

I started some years ago with just the bottoms of my feet then to having issues off and on just walking in a straight line. Spasms in my fingers and legs. Then leg cramps and brain fog and ………

Its just been in the last month its progressed into my hands and the keeping my balance thing has gotten worse. Im stepping up my fight on Candida and I have found that my blood sugar has been dropping at night. Since I remedied that I have no more cramps in my legs at night or in the morning. I think between the Gluten and the Candida, it can cause the kind of malnutrition
    that can bring on some very serious problems. The problem is that its like having illness in different directions all at the same time and getting a handle on it is not easy by any means. One day at a time, one symptom at a time, is the way that feels.

Thomas
    Topics: 71
    Replies: 605

Hi mate,
    if you search my posts you starting with the first you will see how much I suffered like a dog. Starting with a panic attack because my nervous system freaked out completely. I never experienced such a thing in my 49 years. From a very stable guy I broke down like a dry grass, crying like a little baby. Its very strange to experience that, but at the same time being the witness of it all.

What helped me? Well, I am searching around and learned a lot about the connection of the stomach, guts, brain and vegetative nervous system not to forget the immune system. After all these month I learned how powerful the reactions alone are from the immune system and how they turn you into another being.

Now, I really like to suggest to check out EFT. It is amazing and helped me to such an extent that I am symptom free now for over 10 days. When something comes up like little brain fog. I am starting to bring it into the EFT tapping and I notice how its disappearing. Very strange but working. Everything which is working is fine with me.

Search my posts and you will find links to a free on-line manual and free films showing the power of that technique.

all the best
    yours
    Thomas

orka1998
    Participant
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 673

Lauren wrote: I don’t know where to start. My neurological symptoms started while I was on my honeymoon. I was sick for many years before this with things different things but the neurological issues seemed to start at this time. At first it was just my big toe that felt like it had fallen asleep, like the pins and needle feeling. It spread to my whole foot and my other foot started to have problems. By the time I got off the airplane it was very hard to walk because my joints in my foot hurt and it felt uncomfortable to walk on my feet because of the pins and needles feeling. While on the honeymoon the pins and needles moved up my leg and started to occur in my hands. My feet lost the sense of feeling. I could touch press my nail in my feet and I could not feel it. My toes swelled. I then had zapping pain in my legs, almost like they were being zapped by something electrical. Along with this I had my muscles twitch and feel like they were on fire, like they were burning. Itching feeling also occurred. This occurred mostly in my legs.

By the time I got to see my doctor at home my legs felt very heavy. My doctor sent me for an EKG as soon as possible. The EKG tech came into the doctor office. The results said my nerves where not responding normal. (Later on when I got EKG done again at the University or Michigan Hospital and I found out that the results for this test could have been wrong because they did not warm up my legs to a certain temperature before performing a test.) I was then sent to a Neurologist that was close to home. She did a simple test with a needle that she poked me with until I could feel it. She found that I had lost of feeling from my feet to just a little below the knee and my finger to half way up forearm. She called it a glove and stocking type of neuropathy. I was sent for a MRI and they result showed everything was normal. I was very very happy! However, the zapping pain, burning of muscles, and twitching of muscles was getting pretty bad. It was occurring through out my body, but not my face. It was very hard to sleep at all. I was given lyrica for the pain.

My doctor thought I most likely had guillain barre and we would just have to wait it out. But my strength was still good after many weeks and she decided to give me Mirapex because my muscle started to tighten up. You could touch a muscle and feel a knot in it. This was when I was in the most amount of pain. It felt like Charley Horses in every muscle. Lyrica was not helping so Mirapex was given to me to give some relief. It helped but it had many other bad side effects. I was tested for low levels of certain nutrients. I had low B12 and very low Iron. However even fixing these nutrient deficiencies I was still have problems. My doctor solution was Mirapex and that I had restless legs. This did not make sense to me because my problem was through my whole body. I stopped taking Mirapex. I decided to go see another nuerogolist at U of M. While I was waiting to see the doctor my symptoms seemed to get better. The problems started with my feet and moved slowly up my body. Based on what I remember once it reached my neck the muscle twitch stopped, expect in my feet occasionally. However it left me with exhaustion, tiredness, brain fog, sore body, and joint and muscle achy. I have not experienced muscle twitching until I recently took a parasite cleanse (especially in my toe and ears). I had twitching in my intestine when taking a candida cleanse.

I have very bad brain fog now. It is very hard to remember anything and hard to concentrate. I also feel very unbalanced, but I have always been clumsy. I also have dizzy spells. I also pass out sometimes while having a bowel movement. One time I hit my head because I pass out and I had a small seizure after passing out, lucky my husband was there. It was right after I got the MRI so my doctor did not know what to do because the test showed up normal. Sorry for how long this is. I am sure I missed something.
    Thanks,
    Lauren

Hi Lauren,

Most of what you describe I had at some point since last October. It started with dizzy spells which I think brought on anxiety and one such attack got me to the hospital. Then the balance problem started and after having a test for the inner ear, it was found that I do have a problem there and was given drugs for it. The muscle twitching started somewhere there. Then I would have these sort of attacks where I felt my vascular system tightening, my limbs would get cold, my nerves would be doing stuff without my will. This could have been anxiety over what happened and the second hospitalization stress. Not sure still but I am not experiencing that since on the diet. Just some anxiety over unexplained symptoms, but no “attacks” I described.

For the past month I am having the rest of the symptoms you are mentioning, such as tingling, then numbness (left side extremities mostly), then heat, then cold like my arm is wet or something, cramps in my muscles, mostly calf muscles, extreme weakness (such that pushing a clutch in my car is such a workout for me, and one flight of stairs feels like I was running 10 miles). I had an MRI done for the dizziness and I do have two bad disks in my neck so the neurologist is convinced this has caused some nerve damage and prescribed physical therapy. She asked for my medical record and since I’ve been from doctor to doctor since last October, I know she thinks I am hypochondriac and the stress is the cause (she asked about my life like a shrink). She gave me combination of B1, B6 and B12 vitamins claiming those should fix the nerve damage. Since I am taking that, my left arm started twitching, my fingers are moving without me controlling it, burning in muscles, tingling, but I must admit not too much numbness, not as much as before. I also started feeling extremely cold about a week and a half ago and not sure where that is coming from. As the weather is getting better and warmer, I get colder. What an irony!

I am wondering if the whole thing is caused by my candida overgrowth. The balance problem I have did improve during treatment and I had the drugs reduced for it on the last checkup as the AVG test is borderline, almost normal. These other problems started just recently, and this was right around when my treatment took a bit of the downfall, my symptoms which have been cleared the month before came back mostly and with them these new ones. They are quite scary and I have hard time dealing with them. I am also getting tired battling this for so many months (given I am on the diet just little over two months but very sick since October) as I was never sickly and not used to it at all. I was wondering if the last set was brought on by the diet and lack of sugar, but I should get sugar from veggies. I had minerals checked by my doc and all are good, sodium little low, always been since I don’t put much salt on my food. It’s a big confusion for me still and I am trying to adjust and get used to it.

So basically I really don’t have any answers for you but wanted you to know that I did experience what you are.

Best of luck to you!

Arijana

JaneneBean
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 35

cmoore wrote: Wow, thanks for sharing your amazing story. It reminds me of some of the stuff Ive read on the Celiac forum. Autoimmune reactions to Gluten have been pretty intense as well. People have lost the use of limbs, gotten off Gluten and over the months recovered.

I started some years ago with just the bottoms of my feet then to having issues off and on just walking in a straight line. Spasms in my fingers and legs. Then leg cramps and brain fog and ………

Its just been in the last month its progressed into my hands and the keeping my balance thing has gotten worse. Im stepping up my fight on Candida and I have found that my blood sugar has been dropping at night. Since I remedied that I have no more cramps in my legs at night or in the morning. I think between the Gluten and the Candida, it can cause the kind of malnutrition
    that can bring on some very serious problems. The problem is that its like having illness in different directions all at the same time and getting a handle on it is not easy by any means. One day at a time, one symptom at a time, is the way that feels.

Interesting…I too have leg cramps at night sometimes as well as what I feel are blood sugar issues. I’m dizzy in the morning too. Whenever I go back to eating very little carbs, I feel worse. It lasts until I go back to getting some carbs. Once I tried to stick to the low carb diet for weeks but my symptoms of heart palpitations and dizzyness wouldn’t go away. So I eat some carbs and I feel better. Which carbs are best for me to eat?

Thomas

Hi guys,
    we are too much a group of “I think” and “I feel”. I was the same until I drove me nuts. I was sure that I had a blood sugar collapse in autumn. But when I went over to my neighbour who is diabetic and we checked my blood with his little machine. My blood sugar was super good!. Now every-time I felt a heavy die-off with brain-fog, cold skin, cold and hot sweating, dizziness, anxiety etc. I went to him for check up.
    Always my blood was ok. Then I knew it was NOT the sugar. Ok, then I believed that it must be a lack of B6 or B12. Because a lack of these freak out your nervous-system. Then, knowing that problems in the guts can have malnutrition of vitamins I was thinking I had it and feeling I had it until I had a check up…. I had perfect vitamin B values.

I consider it very important not to guess around. There is no point in eating a lot of supplements if one has no lack of something. One even feel bad because of all the meddling around with the body. I would not discount stress and the reaction of the nervous-system pushing out histamine in your body. Read about histamine overload and you will find all the symptom we are having here in the forum. All of them.
    To go onto the candida train and fighting it hard is ok but if there is not change after some month and if there is no lack in anything a doctor can find, then one really should have a candida test done to go further. There is no point hunting ghost when it is the stress which messes some of us up.

Some here truly have candida, they had it checked but I would like to see a counting here on the forum how many “think” they have it and how many had it checked out and “know” they have candida.

cheers
    Thomas

Linda Rebber
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 4

I too, have been experiencing these neurological symptoms and was going to post something about it today. I have had on and off feeling of being too hot and too cold, especially at night, preventing sleep. I have had the zapping feelings in my legs. The past week, since I’ve started the Molybdenum, I have tighting in my arms, severe twitching in my arms, happening at night. It is gone in the morning. I was wondering if it was a side effect of the Molydenum, but I don’t see it stated as such. I was also wondering if it’s a symptom of die off or the candida in general. It has been scaring me. I have thought is this Parkinson’s?

After, reading the other posts (thanks for sharing), it does sound like candida can cause a host of neurological symptoms. I was considering stopping the Molybdenum, but I’m not sure. I had done a cleanse for 4 weeks and now I’ve been following the diet with some coconut bread and I experience die off every evening, skin itching, painful joints, brainfog. I added one teaspoon of coconut oil yesterday and within 30 minutes I was itching all over. It seems like I am very sensitive to the antifungals. Last fall I took Nystatin for 4 months, it lowered my symptoms, but after I stopped they have come back.

As far as testing for Candida Thomas, what are you talking about? From the candida questionaire, I test at the high end. I had a stool test for candida and it was negative. I tested positive for multiple gram negative rods and have treated for it. I went to two nutritionist and a naturalpath who all think I have candida and that it is systemic. They said it doesn’t always show as an overgrowth it the bowel if it has gone systemic. I know that when I quit eating sugar and carbs it gets better and when I eat sugar again it will come back within 2 weeks.

I’ve been having a rough time. I hope we all get better soon!

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Hello Linda,

I belive the night sweats or colds are a very normal symptom of die-off and candida overgrowth in general. It is something I experienced once I started the diet and I only get night sweats about once every 3 months now. I also get the muscle “twitching” that you mentioned; for me it typically happens when I eat something that my body doesn’t agree with slightly, too little oxygen in my body, or die-off.

Here’s my giant list of symptoms that someone else submitted a long time ago on the forum that explains what most of use have one time or another:

“Inability to cope with any amount of stress, headaches, excessive fatigue, problems with my blood sugar levels, cravings for alcohol, anxiety, hair loss, massive cravings for sweets, inability to think clearly or concentrate, struggling to speak/stuttering, hyperactivity, mood swings, inability to focus on simple tasks that were easy only months before, diarrhea then constipation, constipation then diarrhea, body itching, rectal itching, night sweats, depression, dizziness, poor memory, minor earaches, low sex drive, muscle weakness, joint pain, extreme irritability, learning difficulties, extreme sensitivity to cigarette smoke, heart palpitations, cognitive impairment, skin rashes, food allergies, abdominal gas and bloating, muscle spasms, tremors, and seizures in my sleep.”

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst819_Just-about-the-biggest-epic-fail-candida-story-youve-ever-heard.aspx

-raster

Thomas

Linda Rebber wrote: I too, have been experiencing these neurological symptoms and was going to post something about it today. I have had on and off feeling of being too hot and too cold, especially at night, preventing sleep. I have had the zapping feelings in my legs. The past week, since I’ve started the Molybdenum, I have tighting in my arms, severe twitching in my arms, happening at night. It is gone in the morning. I was wondering if it was a side effect of the Molydenum, but I don’t see it stated as such. I was also wondering if it’s a symptom of die off or the candida in general. It has been scaring me. I have thought is this Parkinson’s?

After, reading the other posts (thanks for sharing), it does sound like candida can cause a host of neurological symptoms. I was considering stopping the Molybdenum, but I’m not sure. I had done a cleanse for 4 weeks and now I’ve been following the diet with some coconut bread and I experience die off every evening, skin itching, painful joints, brainfog. I added one teaspoon of coconut oil yesterday and within 30 minutes I was itching all over. It seems like I am very sensitive to the antifungals. Last fall I took Nystatin for 4 months, it lowered my symptoms, but after I stopped they have come back.

As far as testing for Candida Thomas, what are you talking about? From the candida questionaire, I test at the high end. I had a stool test for candida and it was negative. I tested positive for multiple gram negative rods and have treated for it. I went to two nutritionist and a naturalpath who all think I have candida and that it is systemic. They said it doesn’t always show as an overgrowth it the bowel if it has gone systemic. I know that when I quit eating sugar and carbs it gets better and when I eat sugar again it will come back within 2 weeks.

I’ve been having a rough time. I hope we all get better soon!

Hi,

Read that thread.
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst3063_Candida-Immune-Complexes-and-Antibodies-Test.aspx

I would be careful believing too quickly everything people tell you if they keep you on stock and you paying them for a long long and long time. A check in a good clinic saves you all that money and makes sure that you dont hopp onto a diet which is not good for you or that you buy a lots off supplements you dont need.
    How do you know that your symptoms are not coming from a bacterial unbalance which is the case in IBS. It has the same symptoms as candida, histamine overproduction has the same symptoms as candida, reactive Hypogleycemia has exactly the same symptoms as the candida list you are talking about. There are several other sicknesses a run down thyroid gland can produce tons of the same problems, hormonal unbalance too.

So, I believe it is indeed good to play Sherlock Holms and digg into the crime scene and try to find out what is true and what is not.

Here is what I learned from djorge:

Candida Immune Complexes in blood is the best test available to confirm an intestinal overgrowth.
    The test looks for present antibody, antigen, and fragments of complement of the candida cell wall circulating in the blood. These fragments is the highly valuable part in this test.

good luck and I hope the info helps you.
    yours
    Thomas

benc
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 419

i was diagnosed with Labyrinthitis & have had 4 bad attacks, since the 2nd one i’ve not gone a day in 15 months without the drunk feeling.

Since i’ve started treating this it went away for a few weeks, despite feeling even more tired along with the other horrible die off symptoms. I’ve had a few episodes recently, but not as bad as before. Plus it seem to always been worse on damp cloudy or wet days.

cmoore

This is interesting:

Is Candida albicans a trigger in the onset of coeliac disease?
    Nieuwenhuizen WF, Pieters RH, Knippels LM, Jansen MC, Koppelman SJ.

Coeliac disease is a T-cell-mediated autoimmune disease of the small intestine that is induced by ingestion of gluten proteins from wheat, barley, or rye. We postulate that Candida albicans is a trigger in the onset of coeliac disease. The virulence factor of C albicans-hyphal wall protein 1 (HWP1)-contains amino acid sequences that are identical or highly homologous to known coeliac disease-related alpha-gliadin and gamma-gliadin T-cell epitopes. HWP1 is a transglutaminase substrate, and is used by C albicans to adhere to the intestinal epithelium. Furthermore, tissue transglutaminase and endomysium components could become covalently linked to the yeast. Subsequently, C albicans might function as an adjuvant that stimulates antibody formation against HWP1 and gluten, and formation of autoreactive antibodies against tissue transglutaminase and endomysium.

cmoore

JaneneBean wrote:

Wow, thanks for sharing your amazing story. It reminds me of some of the stuff Ive read on the Celiac forum. Autoimmune reactions to Gluten have been pretty intense as well. People have lost the use of limbs, gotten off Gluten and over the months recovered.

Interesting…I too have leg cramps at night sometimes as well as what I feel are blood sugar issues. I’m dizzy in the morning too. Whenever I go back to eating very little carbs, I feel worse. It lasts until I go back to getting some carbs. Once I tried to stick to the low carb diet for weeks but my symptoms of heart palpitations and dizzyness wouldn’t go away. So I eat some carbs and I feel better. Which carbs are best for me to eat?

“Complex carbs” NOT flour, or white rice that stuff. ONLY brown rice, only bread that flowerless like sprouted breads.. Eziekiel breads and spelt made with sprouted grains. Id say based on my experience steer clear fruit juice its natural but very very high sugar.
    Also this might sound controversial but dont have ANY bread without putting “butter” on it. The fat will slow down its conversion to sugar. (in not an expert here just my opinion) So eat bread and butter sparingly of course. Google complex carbs.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Neurological Symptoms’ is closed to new replies.