Need to understand about stomach acid

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Need to understand about stomach acid

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Javizy 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Thomas
    Topics: 71
    Replies: 605

Hi guys,

I wonder a bit about the stomach acid business, hopefully someone can
    help me understand that better.

Ok, woke up in the morning with a mild stomach pain feeling and thought it is time to check about my stomach acid. On a empty stomach I drank a teaspoon of bicarbonate and 100 ml water. No reaction, no burping, nothing. But the stomach pain went down a great deal. The following day the same. I feel overall very good but have this light pressure of stomach pain persisting. So, again I tested in the morning with bicarbonate and 100 ml water. Nothing, no air coming, no burping but the stomach pain was reduced a great deal again.

What does that point at? I thought that if a person has normal acid it should react to the bicarbonate and ex-spell air which should result in burping. I am not burping does that mean that I have too low acid?

But why then is the bicarbonate reducing the unease feeling and pain?

thanks
    Thomas

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

Are you sure that’s how the test works? I thought if you burped soon, you had excess acid, and if it took more than a few minutes you have too little. Have you been tested for H. pylori? Maybe you’ll find this article about GERD useful.

Thomas

Javizy wrote: Are you sure that’s how the test works? I thought if you burped soon, you had excess acid, and if it took more than a few minutes you have too little. Have you been tested for H. pylori? Maybe you’ll find this article about GERD useful.

No, I am not so sure. I only thought it would work like that. What you wrote make sense too but I didnt burp att all. Maybe I have to take a full teaspoon? Has nobody tested himself here on the forum. Would be good to share some experience.

Thanks for the link I am going to check it out. No, I have not been tested for it. I think my doctor said that most people have it and its counted today as a part of the normal flora and even if there is evidence for harmfulness it too is an important factor for immune defence and digestion. I see if I can press him for a check up.

thank you
    Thomas

Thomas

The article rock mate! Thanks ! Its full of great info!

cheers
    Thomas

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

Thomas wrote: I think my doctor said that most people have it and its counted today as a part of the normal flora and even if there is evidence for harmfulness it too is an important factor for immune defence and digestion. I see if I can press him for a check up.

He’s right. It’s evolved with us for a very long time and may have a protective role against esophageal cancer. When it’s allowed to overgrow, it can cause gastritis, ulcers and the problems mentioned in the article. This is why doctors often try to treat it with antibiotics. I don’t think this solves the root of the problem and has side-effects, but knowing if you have an overgrowth is useful.

From what I’ve read, it relies on hydrogen as an energy source, and a pathogenic species of bacteria called Klebsiella produces large amounts of hydrogen by feeding on starch. This is one potential way it can be allowed to overgrow. It’s probably why reducing carbs helps GERD too.

Anyway, it’s really important you get your stomach functioning correctly if you want to beat SIBO. Poor stomach function can be a direct cause of the condition. Since you’re sure bacterial overgrowth is your problem, you should find the advice in this article really helpful http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2010/07/eleven-steps-for-overcoming-alzheimer%E2%80%99s-and-other-chronic-infectious-diseases/ Intermittent fasting (eating only during an 8-hour window) is pretty amazing. Look at this picture comparing two mouse livers. Exactly the same unhealthy diet and calories. The only difference was the eating windows.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Need to understand about stomach acid’ is closed to new replies.