NAC/Sulphur: Bad for Candida?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions NAC/Sulphur: Bad for Candida?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  serenedream 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

approximately_me
    Topics: 28
    Replies: 186

Hi,

Where I’d been experiencing a steady improvement in my symptoms since starting the diet two months ago, I suddenly noticed a sharp increase in these same symptoms this week–especially my migraines. I’m trying to figure out what’s gone wrong.

The only two things new to my regimen are NAC and Kefir (it took a while to find grains).

I’ve read that NAC, because it contains sulphur can be bad for a candida overgrowth. Other people say that it’s sulpha that’s the problem. Has anyone here had an experience where NAC made things worse?

As for the kefir, can I be making it wrong? I let it sit until milk becomes thick and the bottom of the jar has separated some. Is there a danger in not letting it sit long enough?

Any help would be great.

Cheers.

Sasha

jameskep
    Participant
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 220

One thing I have learned is when adding something to your program to try one thing at a time so you can pinpoint your reactions. Try NAC only for a little while see how your body reacts. Then do kefir only and see how your body reacts. Some can have sensitivities to sulphur supps/foods. Depends on the individual. My wife is allergic to sulpha, but can tolerate sulphur rich foods.

Some sulphur compounds might help facilitate candida growth, whereas some sulphur compounds can hinder its growth. So it depends on what sulphur compound it is. I’ve seen research go either way. NAC might benefit some that have mild candida and might not benefit some who has a stronger case. The stronger the case of candida the more candida can utilize substances( vitamins, antioxidants etc…) for its own benefit.

serenedream
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 84

I’ve been taking NAC since the cleanse. I may skip a few days (due to forgetting), but overall notice no difference. Here is what I take — NOW foods: http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=319975&catid=181808&aid=338666&aparam=goobase_filler

I may be ignorant/uninformed but I thought it was just made of selenium and molybdenum, so I am not sure what you mean by sulphur/sulpha.

How much kefir are you drinking? Could it be the introduction of kefir, which is chock full of the flora we need, that is causing/increasing die-off symptoms?

jameskep
    Participant
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 220

The NAC your taking contains a sulphur containing amino acid- N-acetyl-cysteine along with selenium+Molybdenum.

Don’t do kefir–did absolutely nothing for me other than causing an allergic like yeast sensitivity reaction. I think many people confuse die-off with sensitivity reactions. Kefir is not designed to cause candida’s cell membrane to leak(die-off). Almost all Probiotic strains are designed to inhibit candida, but not to kill it. The strains in kefir do not release anything to cause candida cell membrane to leak or die-off. The acids that beneficial flora releases is designed to inhibit candida not to kill it. True die-off is when candida’s cell membrane leaks causing toxins to be released and very uncomfortable symptoms. If the bacterial strains in kefir caused die-off then why is their almost 50% yeast strains still in it. That proves my point.

Kefir is not the right kind of flora that we need(not the right balance of strains).

I also did kefir enema’s, which made no difference because the strains are not designed for the human colon+ they don’t colonize because their not “species specific”.

One of my previous posts shows the strains in the colon vs. strains in kefir. Not a good match.

Bacteria commonly found in the human colon
    Bacterium Incidence (%)
    Bacteroides fragilis 100
    Bacteroides melaninogenicus 100
    Bacteroides oralis 100
    Enterococcus faecalis 100
    Escherichia coli 100
    Klebsiella sp. 40-80
    Enterobacter sp. 40-80
    Bifidobacterium bifidum 30-70
    Staphylococcus aureus 30-50
    Lactobacillus 20-60
    Clostridium perfringens 25-35
    Proteus mirabilis 5-55
    Peptostreptococcus sp. ?common
    Peptococcus sp. ?common
    Clostridium tetani 1-35
    Clostridium septicum 5-25
    Pseudomonas aeruginosa 3-11
    Salmonella enteritidis 3-7

Compare those Strains found in kefir:

http://www.culturesforhealth.com/milk-kefir-grains-composition-bacteria-yeast

The main issue I see with kefir is the % of yeast strains to bacteria strains. The human gut is mostly bacteria, so kefir does not match up with the human gut very well as far as the bacteria to yeast ratio.

approximately_me
    Topics: 28
    Replies: 186

I’ve also realized it could be also some Greek Yogurt I ate or perhaps some slippery elm to alleviate my plugged up bowels. These are all the new things I can think of.

Jameskep: Yes, I’ve learned my lesson. One thing at a time. I have done this generally, but in this case I’d used NAC previously a few months ago and it had been fine then and so I felt I was really only adding one thing. And then I had to add the slippery elm for obvious reasons.

I didn’t know that about stronger candida being able to utilize antioxidants. That’s unnerving. I’ll have to be careful when I try adding it again in a few weeks. Thanks for the tip.

As for the kefir, what I’m experiencing is definitely neither die-off nor an allergic reaction but a sudden return of symptoms which had been steadily disappearing for months. When I’ve experienced die-off thus far, and I’ve had some bad bouts, it’s never come with these migraines or extreme light sensitivities (which I’d lived with for the previous 8 or 9 months prior to it starting to go away). Nevertheless, I think the wise course of action is to remove anything new and return to the last point where things were working well and wait for improvement, adding these things in slowly one at a time later.

Serenedream: Jameskep is correct. NAC is entirely different supplement altogether. Your product also contains selenium and molybdenum.

serenedream
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 84

Found this advice in a different thread:
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst7269_Experienced-people-please-give-advice.aspx

From Jorge – “I like NAC. It is an immune modulator that polarizes toward to Th1. It will help boosting the immune response that battles candida and down-regulating the excessive Th2 hyperactivity that make you to react easily to allergens.

ABSTRACT
    We investigated the effect of N-acetylcysteine (NAC) on normal human B cell functions. We found that NAC significantly inhibited both the induction of the specific antibody response to the T-dependent antigen Candida albicans and T-dependent pokeweed mitogen (PWM)-induced polyclonal Ig production. NAC did not induce either cell death due to a non-specific toxicity or apoptosis. The NAC-induced inhibitory effect might be a functional consequence of: (i) a down-regulation of the expression on the B cell surface of CD40 and CD27 co-stimulatory molecules and (ii) a down-regulation of interleukin (IL-4) production. In contrast, NAC up-regulated interferon-γ (IFN-γ) production. NAC did not induce any effect on the T cell-independent B cell polyclonal activation system. These results indicate that NAC down-regulates T dependent B cell activation and leads to T helper cell type 1 (Th1) polarization”

From Able900 – “N-Acetylcysteine stimulates glutathione production which will help with detoxification and dissolving mucus. N-Acetylcysteine can also help to neutralize toxins and pollutants in the body organs like the liver and kidneys.”

If NAC was (that) bad for candida, why would both veteran/expert members weigh in positively on NAC?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘NAC/Sulphur: Bad for Candida?’ is closed to new replies.