My Success Story – 2 years on…

Home The Candida Forum Your Stories & Journals My Success Story – 2 years on…

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  candid jo 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Lucylu
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 345

Hi all!

I used to be a (very) regular poster on this site over a year ago and have the wise advise of Able, Raster and others to thank for so much. In short, I attacked my relatively severe Candida with military force and won! I promised Able way back that I’d touch base to update everyone and give the newbies some encouragement… so here goes:-

I had a wide range of symptoms that had been building for years but got very severe after having my 4th child. Lack of sleep, stress & too much white wine led to a spiralling into a state of near nervous breakdown. I felt like I couldn’t cope, has itchy rashes/ psoriasis, severe IBS symptoms, unmanageable periods and chronic PMT. I probably had other symptoms too but I’ve blocked a lot of it from my memory!

Thankfully, I found a practitioner who uses a Vega Machine to diagnose allergies & intolerance and she diagnosed me with Candida. She gave me a colon cleanse powder for a “clear out” and recommended I start Udo’s 8 probiotics a week later. Luckily I didn’t stop at just that as I would never have made any progress! But I found this site and immediately started the strictest protocol. I literally did EVERYTHING that was suggested… stuck rigidly to the starting diet, took & ate all the anti-fungals I could get my hands on, took saunas/ hot baths every day, swished every morning (I think that’s what its called!! Can’t remember!) drank kefir and tried to get more sleep. I won’t go into massive detail but I basically did what it suggested in the protocol.

I can’t remember my exact timeline (and probably wouldn’t post it anyway in case I misled someone with a more severe case) but I know I stayed on each phase for way over the recommended time, was extremely tentative about introducing anything new (and at the tiniest reaction I would cut it out and go back a stage). I had 2 fairly major setbacks after introducing things to fast (as in, was laid up in bed for a week with swollen painful joints, sore itchy skin & headaches) and this was more than enough to help me to be very patient and take my time.

Soooooooo….. 2 years on I still avoid all yeast & all sugar (including most fruit) as well as most carbs (I’ve never been a carb lover or had a sweet tooth so these aren’t sacrifices really. When I eat out, I basically order whatever I fancy from the menu but only have a tiny portion of the carb bit. I don’t avoid savoury sauces/ gravies (unless they are obviously sweet like some chinese ones or a plum sauce on duck for example). I still drink Kefir every day and take a strong probiotic. I take The Solgar Multivit/ min (instead of all the individual ones I took for the first year) and still rotate my antifungals but in minimal doses. I include antifungal foods in my diet as much as possible but am no longer obsessed with planning my entire diet around them! I use coconut oil instead of butter still and the only bread I eat is my own oat bran/ kefir bread (yummy!). I still try to have 2 hot baths a week too. I eat organic eggs & chicken but regular other meats (I live in Ireland and buy local free range so figure that’s pretty good).

My cheats – I eat a little cheese and drink white wine spritzers as a treat! (Sorry Able I know you’ll cringe when you read me admitting to that here. And yes, there may be a couple of silly readers who will think to hell with it she drinks wine, lets crack open a bottle… but I’m hoping that most will realise just how hard I worked to get to this stage and at no stage of my “treatment” faze did I have even a sip.)

So basically I live a normal life, dine out regularly, enjoy a drink and am symptom free. I’m not sure if that means I’ve beaten candida because I know I still react to things like mushrooms (ate some by accident in a stew and was doubled over with cramps & trapped wind later). I don’t think you ever “beat” candida… but I think I have it under control. In that, I control the candida and not the other way round!

So my advice? Please take your time, invest in really good supplements & probiotics. Do NOT cheat as you’re only cheating yourself of a decent recovery. There IS a light at the end of the tunnel and you CAN beat this. I wish someone had posted back in my early stages that if I stuck at it I would get to this stage of normalness. I literally went into a black hole thinking I would never eat out again (I live in the gourmet capital of Ireland and love my food!) or enjoy cheese & wine, albeit it in moderation. I thought I’d be eating organic eggs & only greens for the rest of my life! I do realise for those with a sweet tooth or who crave pizza’s & burgers it’s little comfort because I don’t miss them but for me… I’m there!

Any questions, feel free the PM me… as I said my exact recollection is hazy so I won’t be able to tell you what doses of which antifungals in which order… or even what things I introduced first food-wise.

Heartfelt thanks to Able & Raster for their help. I could kiss you both!!! (Except my husband & your wives would probably object!!).

Lucylu x

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

I’ve heard of you! Only good things 🙂

Glad to hear you’re doing so well. Much like your cheese and wine, I’ll be pleased when I get to a point where I can have prudent amounts of fruit and bourbon :p

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Well, I’ll be damn. It’s really her, the woman who still haunts my dreams; Luce … Still married I see; bleh.

Do you know it’s been 1 year, 2 months, and 6 days since your last post back in 2012? That’s gotta be some sort of comeback record. And I still remember your last post addressed to my attention; “Empty your inbox Able….” You always typed such sweet words.

Lucylu;45088 wrote: I could kiss you both!!! (Except my husband & your wives would probably object!!).

Raster’s wife would, so forget about him. Me, you know me better than that.

I eat a little cheese and drink white wine spritzers as a treat! (Sorry Able I know you’ll cringe when you read me admitting to that here.)

Nope, actually I didn’t. Believe it or not, I admitted the same thing myself a while back about having a small glass of wine occasionally. I figured the folks here need to know that the strict diet doesn’t have to last a lifetime. I also avoid kefir most of the time; meaning I purchase a quart of commercial kefir from the supermarket maybe once or twice a month, but like you, I still take probiotics as maintenance. I haven’t taken commercial antifungals for a long time now, and I’m still totally bummed out on rutabaga, so my only natural antifungals are Brussels sprouts, jalapenos, or fresh garlic.

There are people who may pop up in this tread and claim that we’re both “still on the diet” – but don’t let these naysayers dishearten you. These are always the same people who never had the will power to start and remain on the “strict” diet so they have no idea what they’re talking about and are generally just pissed off at the whole world.

You actually used the word “protocol” up there in your story. Did you type that without making a face?

Luce, you know I’ll love you forever for “finally” doing this.

Buoyantly, Sean

PS: Tell the hubby that Sean continues to send his condolences.

shayfo

I’m really enjoying all the sass in this thread.

Lucylu

shayfo;45091 wrote: I’ve heard of you! Only good things 🙂

Glad to hear you’re doing so well. Much like your cheese and wine, I’ll be pleased when I get to a point where I can have prudent amounts of fruit and bourbon :p

Hey Shayfo! You’ve heard of me?? I’m not surprised – I’m sure Able never shuts up about “the one that got away”!! He misses me dreadfully….

Best of luck with your journey towards fruit & bourbon!

Lx

Lucylu

Hey Abe!!

Never did get the hang of multi quoting (I know, I’m such a disapointment to you) but here goes…

A: Well, I’ll be damn. It’s really her, the woman who still haunts my dreams; Luce …
    L: Yep! It’s really me! Sorry it’s been so long…

A: Still married I see; bleh.
    L: Hey, it’s only been 6 months, give me a chance! Although it’s nice to know I have you waiting in the wings if it all goes pear shaped!

A: Do you know it’s been 1 year, 2 months, and 6 days since your last post back in 2012? That’s gotta be some sort of comeback record.
    L: What, no hours & minutes??? You’re slipping…

A: And I still remember your last post addressed to my attention; “Empty your inbox Able….” You always typed such sweet words.
    L: I know how to charm a guy, you have to give me that!

A: Me, you know me better than that.
    L: Yeh, I guess I do

A: Believe it or not, I admitted the same thing myself a while back about having a small glass of wine occasionally.
    L: Wow! Well done… I agree, I think it’s really important to give the whole truth. It’s one of the reasons I stepped away from here. I felt I was being 2 faced advising on the uber strict and sipping on spritzer as I typed!

A: There are people who may pop up in this tread and claim that we’re both “still on the diet” – but don’t let these naysayers dishearten you.
    L: Me, you know me better than that.

A: You actually used the word “protocol” up there in your story. Did you type that without making a face?
    L: I know, yeh!! I actually used it a few times!! It’s a scary word but in honesty it’s how I saw it. You know how I attacked this thing will full unrelenting force… it didn’t stand a chance. I literally wrote out schedules, lists, goals… and stuck rigidly to it. I’d make a great military wife :)!!

A: Luce, you know I’ll love you forever for “finally” doing this.
    L: Love you too, babe!

A: Buoyantly, Sean
    L: Wow – real names too????

A: PS: Tell the hubby that Sean continues to send his condolences.
    L: Hubby is still blissfully unaware of my long term cyber crush!

Lx

Prizma
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 28

Hi Lucylu,

Thank you so much for sharing this information.
    Though I am a newcomer, I have had the symptoms for a long while /for approx two years/.
    Just circled through various doctors – gastroenthereologist for the IBS and loose stools, psychiatrist for the constant fear of diseases which appeared, endocrinologist /who diagnosed me with Hashimoto/, hairloss, allergies, etc. No one suspected Candida.
    So, finally, after lots of internet surfing, I did a test and it was positive.
    However, not a doctor warned me of the diet.
    So I went throught already several antifungals. Seemed there was a recovery, but in less than a month the symptoms apperade again.
    I am glad to have found this place. It is helpful and encouraging.
    I hope, even going through this two years period with no substantial recovery yet, it is not late to start and to be successful, isnt’t it?

shayfo

Prizma, I’m not as far along as Lucy, but I am basically symptom-free after having candida problems (on some level) for over 10 years before starting treatment. I think if you take treatment seriously and stick with it, you’ll eventually see improvement no matter how badly off you were to start.

Lucylu

Prizma;45121 wrote: Hi Lucylu,

Thank you so much for sharing this information.
    Though I am a newcomer, I have had the symptoms for a long while /for approx two years/.
    Just circled through various doctors – gastroenthereologist for the IBS and loose stools, psychiatrist for the constant fear of diseases which appeared, endocrinologist /who diagnosed me with Hashimoto/, hairloss, allergies, etc. No one suspected Candida.
    So, finally, after lots of internet surfing, I did a test and it was positive.
    However, not a doctor warned me of the diet.
    So I went throught already several antifungals. Seemed there was a recovery, but in less than a month the symptoms apperade again.
    I am glad to have found this place. It is helpful and encouraging.
    I hope, even going through this two years period with no substantial recovery yet, it is not late to start and to be successful, isnt’t it?

Prizma,

As Shayfo says… you really have to fight this head on and stick with it. Doctors will NOT diagnose candida and many will ridicile you for mentioning it. I had a stand up argument with my brother earlier this year and he’s one of the most respected doctors in Australia, speaks at International conferences on the latest advance in medicine… yet completely poo-poo’d my symptoms, recovery & theories. Silly of me to have ever discussed it with him!

You can do this – you said you went through several antifungals but what have you been eating? If you continously kill & feed & kill & feed the candida than you’ll get stuck in an awful cycle of die off.

Best of luck with your recovery – if you can get your head in the right place then your body will follow.

Lx

P.S. I had the symptoms for about 5 years at a moderate level and had been gradually removing things from my diet that “didn’t suit me” so I think my recovery might have been faster (in that I’d already worked out a lot of it for myself. But I’d never have got to this stage without the full strict diet and gradually reintroducing.

Prizma
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 28

Thank you so much for the posts!

I will stick around as the support and hope I get here are extremely important to me!

Shayfo, my candida is intestinal and that’s what bothers me most.

And yes, I also visited a doctor, who just laughed at my candida troubles and said it’s not an issue at all ?!
    How could allergies caused by candida that erupt every now and then be not a problem?!

As I said, I am happy for being in this forum where I can find the right understanding and advises.

stovariste
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 116

shayfo;45091 wrote: I’ve heard of you! Only good things 🙂

hahaha, I though exactly the same when I saw the nickname 🙂

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Lucylu;45115 wrote: Never did get the hang of multi quoting (I know, I’m such a disapointment to you)

Never. Well … there was this one time, one day, back in December. Gads … I still remember the horrid nightmares.

I’d make a great military wife :)!!

Damn, you really would have, and yet, somehow I see the military being terrified at the mere thought. Over 1000 military bases in 63 different countries, and yet not one Naval base in Ireland. How the hell did that happen?

Wow – real names too???

Pshaw, like you didn’t know my name. Remember what I’ve always said; the person you’re talking with on the computer could be sitting right down the street from you, nodding his head when he passed you in the supermarket last week, sitting a few tables behind you in a restaurant … and you’d never know it.

If you decide to drop out of forum life again fairly soon, take care of yourself, and drop in on us every five or ten years to let us know you’re still alive … and married … or not.

Really glad to see you’re so well and happy. 😉
    Sean

candid jo
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 1

Hi Lucylu, I’ve read your update so not sure if you still come on here. I’m in ireland too and my homeopath diagnosed me with candida. I’m on a strict diet for it and have done a couple of cleanses but I still struggle sometimes with the symptoms. I do get cravings for carbs and occasionally give in to it but generally I’m good with it. I find the mental symptoms hardest to cope with, brain fog and memory trouble. I struggle with conversation at times (can’t remember the words for things) and the fatigue can be extreme. Daily life is difficult and I find my friends don’t have much patience with me because they don’t think its a real illness so I’m avoiding people more so as not to have to explain myself.
    I’d love to talk to someone in ireland who understands what this is like and your success story has given me some hope with persevering with it. My homeopath told me it would only take 6 weeks to sort this but I’ve had this for at least a couple of years now (probably longer). I’d love to hear from you and know how its going for you now. Thanks Jo

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘My Success Story – 2 years on…’ is closed to new replies.