My Story — need advice!

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions My Story — need advice!

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  4evryoung 8 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Driv
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 1

Sorry this is a little long — just wanted to share my experiences for the last month & a half. Really need some advice!

On 1/10 I was prescribed a single 2G dose of Azithromycin for pharyngitis (redness of the throat). Why 2G? Well, I told my nurse I was worried about STD’s so she figured she would clear my mind by giving me the chlamydia dosage in case I had it. I was also prescribed Clonazepam & Trazodone for my anxiety. (I was having sleepless nights and was obsessing over the possibility of STD’s all day, even though the girl I was with got tested after and returned negative for everything)

11 days later I had pain in my lower right abdomen when pressure was applied. I thought it was a blockage so I gave myself an enema and took some Miralax + suppository to be sure. I went to the same nurse a couple days later who told me I had a UTI, so she prescribed Cipro on 1/24 (six 250mg pills, two a day for 3 days). The abdominal pain had subsided by 1/27 and I was on my regular American diet. On 1/31 I had my first bout of diarrhea after my normal large coffee w/ half&half. Over the next week I couldn’t seem to keep a solid stool so I researched a little and decided to go on the BRATY diet (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast, Yogurt) I also started taking Probiotic Acidophilus capsules from Walgreens (20 billion CFU) – once daily.

After being on this for 3-4 days I finally had a normal stool. I continued to stay on this diet pretty much all up until 2/13 when I read about Candida (now on the candida diet… changed from sugary yogurt to plain, and am no longer eating yeast)

I am now worried that I consumed so much yeast (from the toast) that I’ve overgrown candida in my system. I do have a white coating on the back of my tongue (not severe like cottage cheese or anything, but you can see it). My pharyngitis is still present and I still have cryptic tonsils.

I got my stool tested for C. Difficile which came back negative, and all of my blood work came back fine… liver enzymes were normal. However, I still seem to be running low body temp and have quite a bit of fatigue. The last couple of nights it has been in the 96-degree range.

Being worried about Candida brought me back to my new doctor who did the bloodwork and stool test for C.diff. I asked him to look at the back of my tongue again and he said it wasn’t much to worry about – just wash my mouth out with baking soda. He also said that blood testing or stool testing for Candida overgrowth wasn’t necessary. This doctor is very experience and has been practicing for 35+ years. He mentioned “The only person I ever saw that had an overgrowth of yeast in their system was someone with Lyme disease”

Again — Sorry this was so long – I ‘m still just so worried. Just curious if you guys can provide any input. Could this all be related to stress/anxiety or do I really have Candida overgrowth?

Thanks!

4evryoung
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 20

Most traditional doctors don’t recognize Candida overgrowth as a condition to be concerned with. Each of us have different sensitivities to Candida.

Some of the symptoms you describe sound like hypothyroidism. if you haven’t you should get this checked out. When your thyroid is out of whack so are the rest of your hormones. Some foods just aggrivate the issue.

The problem with getting your Dr testing and diagnosing is that traditional Drs undertreat hypothyroidism.

YOu should look for a Dr who is willing to treat your symptoms not just to a set of numbers on a lab report. I suggest you get some names from a compound pharmacist. They will know which Drs treat with natural thyroid substitutes like Armor or Naturethroid(both of which are available by prescription.)

Finding out the condition of your thyroid will give you a starting point. Then once diagnosed and properly treated you can see what your left with.

In the mean time you’ll find the Candida Diet is a very healthy plan even if you don’t suffer from Candida overgrowth.

Driv
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 1

Thanks for the quick reply, 4evryoung.

My blood work did include a Thyroid test… TSH was 0.51, and T4 was .99. TSH is low on the scale, and T4 is midrange. The TSH is low on the “accepted” scale of .31 to 5, so do you think I could still have hypothyroid?

My GI symptoms are just weird — I’m constipated one day, and then the rest of the time have very loose episodes. Sometimes both at the same time. I also am eating more greens per the diet, but I am seeing that they’re not really getting digested fully — greens can be seen even in my compacted stools.

Also – just for reference, I’m 24. During my two-week BRAT diet, I lost about 7lbs to my current weight of 149.

4evryoung
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 20

Hypothyroidism can happen at any age but most often occurs after child birth or in middle age. that doesn’t mean that you don’t have it or the test results aren’t right. It’s just that “ranges” are based on a group of individuals “normal” not “your” normal.

If it’s been some time since it’s been checked, have it checked again and see if there have been any changes.

If your not happy with your Dr’s diagnosis or treatment research other Dr’s. If you’ve used an endocrinologist next time look for a OB/GYN they might be more responsive to your complaints.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘My Story — need advice!’ is closed to new replies.