My story

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  king tut 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

king tut
    Participant
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 41

My story

From what I recall from my childhood, I always had a moderate to high level of anxiety, far more than most normal kids. I also remember feeling “allergic” to perfumes and cigarette smoke. I also remember having an anxiety attack at a young age after drinking a glass of milk, but it wasn’t until just a few years ago that it dawned on me that I may have some level of food allergies that were causing most of these symptoms. I survived childhood and my school years being a pretty high level athlete, while I excelled at sports, and they helped ease my anxiety, i often felt more tired than I should be and had VERY tense and tight muscles. I spent my college years drinking copious amounts of beer to ease my social anxiety and to have a fun time. My anxiety persisted, but I dealt with it through exercise and beer. Going on through my 20’s, I worked a horrifically stressful job for four years and drank often, but not overly excessively. I always had a general feeling like I was going to die, but I didn’t know why. Just a feeling of sickness in my body and mind.

After leaving the terrible job, I found more enjoyable work in banking, and have worked in that field since. I progressively tried cleaning up my diet year after year, but never quit drinking. I worked out daily and went on long 10-15 mile hikes, etc., while I got head colds frequently, I was still able to keep up a high level of fitness. In my early thirties I started to experience progressive health issues. I got my thyroid tested, got heart tests done to check things out for palpitations I had, got my blood glucose tested, and many other blood tests, etc. nothing was ever conclusive. I had been taking omeprazole for acid reflux for a few years to help with acid reflux. In my mid thirties I began treatment for adrenal fatigue. I was wiped out each and every day and didn’t know why. I had recurring sinus infections and head colds and my body temp was low. I began taking synthetic cortisone, and felt improvements for about 6 months before things took a turn for the worse. This was also right around the time my son was born. I began having massive panic attacks at work in meetings and while driving my car. Not just a little anxiety, but full blown, I am going to die this moment panic attacks. I knew things were dire. I quit the cortisone and transitioned to just licorice root. It was also around this time that my seasonal allergies, which were a new phenomenon over the last few years, became terrible. I was completely exhausted and started to experience asthma attacks. I had been feeling like I was going to die for many years, but now I knew i was going to die, and I was very sad thinking that I might not be around to see my son grow up. I had been having these moments of dread for years, and they just got worse.

It was somewhere around this rock bottom that I started to find info about food allergies, leaky gut, and Candida. My naturopaths I had been dealing with were just inept. I told several of them About my horrific anxiety attacks and my disgusting white coating on my tongue. None of them told me about yeast. They just tried to pump me full of things like DHA or other supplements and told me that I might have a head injur, etc. i told them how I was frequently dizzy and had a tough time driving, but it made no sense to them.

Approximately 2 years ago, following a food allergy test, I eliminated dairy from my debt. I had some pretty crummy detox symptoms for a few weeks but didn’t feel a whole lot different. My naturopath told me to jam myself full of probiotics, 50 billion a day. I asked if i should build up slowly, she said no. After a week or so of this, I felt like I was going to die. I couldn’t do anything. I had severe anxiety attacks, completely exhausted, and very dizzy. I couldn’t even face time with my parents, my anxiety was so severe. I had to take a few week leave of absence from work. A few months later, I further refined my diet, cutting out gluten. This next spring, my allergies were worse than ever, and my anxiety was through the roof. Multiple anxiety attacks, asthma, dizziness, fatigue, etc. the heat and sunlight of the summer multiplied my die off exponentially. I went on vacation to the coast of Maine with my family, but I could barely leave the rental house without feeling like I was going to pass out. I had either a bladder infection or prostate infection to boot. I wasn’t taking many probiotics, just a few billion a few days of the week, but was eating some antifungal foods and drinking lemon ginger tea. We had a 4 hour drive home, and I felt like I was going to die the whole way.

After returning from vacation, I quit my job, as my bank had been bought out and I had been working for a horrific new employer for 3 months or so. The stress of the job, coupled with die off were killing me. About half of the new employees also resigned, it was the worst bank I have ever worked at. I took the next few months to try to gain some energy back. After about 3 months off, I took a new job working with some folks I had worked with before. Interviewing in person and on the phone were extremely anxiety provoking even though I knew I would likely get the job. I had worked my way up to taking probiotics a few times a week, and had pretty strong die off and anxiety still.

I have been doing mostly just the diet this summer as the heat and sunshine were causing crazy die off. I had worked my way up to walking a mile or two a day this spring with a lot less anxiety, but that all faded this summer. Fast forward to a few weeks ago, and my energy has shot right up and I am back to walking 2-3 miles a day, even more than this spring and last fall. I used to sleep in my car at lunch time at my prior job as I was sos wiped out every day, but have found my energy levels improving every month and my allergies starting to die down. My asthma attacks have gone away. I recently started taking probiotics including S. Boulardii and have not had the same level of die off as before. I am confident now that after two years on a restrictive diet, I have finally improved my gut so I can regularly take probiotics. While my mood is sometimes down due to two years of die off, my dizziness is decreasing, my energy levels are improving, and I am getting out into public and participating in my life again. My mood in general is a lot more positive, and I no longer have that “I am going to die” feeling. I imagine it will be another 6-12 months of diet and probiotics to heal me, but I see a light at the end of my tunnel. My life long anxiety seems like it was tied to food allergies and Candida.

king tut
    Participant

I added in Pantethine in the last month to my supplements and have noticed that I am able to detox a little better than before. I have been able to take a SF722 pill twice a day for many weeks in a row and not suffer an adrenal crash from too much die off. I have also been able to increase my exercise, walking 5 miles in the woods a few days ago and over 3 miles a few days later. Before I would have been too exhausted to walk more than a mile or two and would have had a panic attack being that far away from safety. I have also been less dizzy driving and feel safer. It’s been a long two years plus on a strict diet, but things are improving and life is starting to feel like it is worth living again.

Hatetheovergrowth
    Participant
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 13

That’s awesome to hear king tut! Keep it going mate.

I can relate to some of this story as I am only 26. The one that rings bells, is drinking copious amounts of booze to curb the anxiety at parties. I’ve only just recently realised this is likely why I can never find my “level”. NYE drinking caused me to have horrible “hangxiety” the next few days as I could not remember all of the night. I have never experienced this before the past 2 years.

It’s all about getting that gut, mind and body healthy. They are all working together for sure. That’s what I feel anyhow, due to believing stress and anxiety of a new job is what ultimately tipped my body over the edge. 2019 is the year! 😀

king tut
    Participant

You are definitely wanting to eliminate the booze. That is probably the worst thing you could do to yourself. I used to be a pretty moderate drinker, but I found that once I cut out the gluten and dairy I felt less anxious, and don’t need the booze any more to cope with anxiety. I used to love beer, but having had one beer in the last two years, I don’t miss it at all. I also did some yoga, meditation, and have seen a therapist over the last few years. Helped a ton when I was at my lowest, but now that I have crawled back from the dead, I haven’t been doing those as much. My body is no longer in constant fight or flight with crazy cortisol swings from blood sugar spikes and drops. Still a lot of bad days, but increasingly I am having good days mixed in quite a bit. Crawling out of the long sewer pipe, Shawshank Redemption style.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.