My journey with Candida (PeteSake)

Home The Candida Forum Your Stories & Journals My journey with Candida (PeteSake)

This topic contains 14 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Rodi 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

PeteSake
    Participant
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 36

Hello, this will be my log of my journey.

Well it all starts several months back, after waking up one day with severe throat pain, and very enlarged lymph nodes around my groin and throat (gumball sized) and penile thrush.. I was quite afraid, so I see my doctor. I had done a little research before seeing her, so I suspected it was candida related. However she seemed clueless. I had to really press the issue because she thought nothing of it and after much talking she finally prescribed me some antifungals. I would definitely say the antifungals were doing their job rapidly but I didn’t know about probiotic importance or the fact that I should abstain from sugar (I kept eating candies and snacks) and for a few more months my symptoms just never went away, even getting worse. (Some background, I’ve taken antibiotics maybe several times over the last 10 years and never was one to have probiotics ever, though I generally ate healthy diets).. also over the months my hair began to fall out in patches all over my body.

At this point I researched more thoroughly and came to the candida diet site. Very helpful info by the way, thanks to everybody here! So come to find out I was doing everything wrong.. my sleeping habits, caffeine, sugar, no antifungals or probiotics.. etc. So I start to take on the candida diet, again by my mistake I didn’t research the ‘strict’ diet, but had everything else.. I’ve tried coconut flour/oil/cream, xylitol, stevia, buckwheat, oat bran, veggies, etc. What I’ve found is that most of the things I tried are not good for my current stage.

Sugar I’ve eliminated completely but because of hunger pangs and high fatigue I tried the approved grains for the carbs (buckwheat, oat bran, etc.) to no avail. When I have these I felt great energy but my hands begin to dry and crack so bad that I can hardly work at my job, my hands bleed. It would also cause sever tightening pain in my small intestines (which I assume is leaky gut) and was actually the same feeling I recollect from eating excessive amounts of sugar in one sitting just about 6 months ago. Since discontinuing these it has went away. And anything that can AND will irritate candida I couldn’t have because of the horrible oral thrush. My diet for the last couple of months have been basically organic chicken/eggs/green veggies and the occasional red meat, maybe 1-2 times a week.
    I’m finding that the strict diet is just that.. I also have my tongue highly coated and brushing it with antifungals keeps it at bay for a day then it returns.

Overall though, the last maybe 4 weeks have been the best and have seen the most improvement, my penile thrush went away first, my swollen nodes have actually gone up and down but seem overall better, my oral thrush has made maybe 30% progress and my tongue looks better everyday, maybe 40% progress. Also my hair has began to grow back.

Some things I’ve found on my journey:

No No’s for me..

– Any sweetener
    (xylitol, stevia, erythritol, etc.) although they don’t do real damage IMO, they do hinder my progress
    – all grains, nuts, flours
    (Cause leaky gut and sever candida outbreaks on hands)
    – all fruit
    (Sugar goes straight to oral thrush and makes it worse, also making neck lymph modes worse)
    – all dairy
    (Again with the hands candida outbreak)

I also was eating peppers but after research it seems they exasperate leaky gut so I discontinued them all.

What I am having currently:

– organic greens and veggies
    (Spinach, broccoli, green beans, green onion, onion, garlic)
    – raw sauerkraut (in water/salt)
    – olives
    – Braggs ACV
    – healthy oils (organic cold pressed, etc.)
    (Olive, Coconut, sesame)
    – antibiotic free/organic chicken
    – antibiotic free/free range eggs
    – organic grass fed beef
    – herbs
    (Basil, Rosemary, Himalayan salt, cinnamon, thyme)
    – filtered water
    – jioagulan tea
    (This has helped me tremendously with energy and healing)
    – 150 billion probiotic 40 strain 1-2/day
    – oil pulling 1-2/day
    – multivitamin 1/day
    – b vitamin + cal/mag throughout the day

PeteSake
    Participant

I would add that as far as die off,

I experienced it tremendously the first 3 days I took antifungals and started taking the candida diet somewhat seriously. I felt extreme brain fog, felt sick, woke up with night sweats, could hardly think or function. Work felt impossible I just wanted to go home.

PeteSake
    Participant

A couple things I’ve been noticing lately..

I’ve been really trying to drink much more water because it’s been something I neglect which resulted in my urine being really cloudy/dark and foamy all the time. Well now I drink water constantly throughout the day and it quickly turns clear and loses a lot of foam, however it doesn’t take long for it to get yellow/green again.

Also, with all of the water I’ve been drinking I’ve noticed that my hunger/sweet cravings have gone down tremendously.. in fact the sweet cravings are nearly non existent.
    I must’ve been very dehydrated this whole time.

The second thing is that I’m noticing my hand outbreaks have gotten much better due to cutting out the culprits but I’m beginning to think that my probiotic is still keeping it there, I suspect this because before my large probiotic my hands didn’t do this at all.. perhaps it’s due off.
    Will have to keep my eye on it, but things are looking better.

Pharoah24
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 4

Hey Pete glad to see you’re taking action like myself. I’m pretty new to this site but is there a way we can pm each other for progress updates.

I wanted to get a hold of raster or able but it seems they’ve been banned off the site.

It would be great if we could share knowledge and over come this nightmare together!

PeteSake
    Participant

Hey Pharoah, that would be great! I’m also new so I’m not familiar with this site too well but if you PM I’d be glad to share insights and as you said get through this nightmare together.

Yeah I noticed raster and able were very knowledgeable, I guess I’ll have to stick to just reading their old posts.

PeteSake
    Participant

So I’ve come to find that at my current stage I must deplete as much sugar as possible. Because of this I have begun to eat my veggies only warm and not cooked and have seen tremendous improvement.

I’ve also found that the thrush in the back of my throat is very slow at recovery, however applying an antifungal to a q-tip and applying to the area seems to render great and quick results.

PeteSake
    Participant

As of today I’ve found a few new important things.

Firstly, I slept pretty hard and long last night. (About 11 hours) And when I awoke, much of my symptoms had greatly decreased. Decreased like never before, and I even had some of my favorite oat bran oatmeal and coconut ice cream last night. Wow. I usually wake up with an extremely sore throat and hands crackly and brittle and dry. Hands were much better and throats nearly no pain. Also the thrush in the back of my throat was a lot better looking.

Secondly, because of my concern with animal, I’ve decided to swap all animal sources of food with kidney beans. I will have to see how the results go. My main concern is the ammonia it causes. And I know animal meat is recommend only small portions about 3 times a week but I was eating it daily with every meal. This I shouldn’t have done but I’m happy to try and see how it is without any of it.

So far today everything has been better. I feel better, hands nearly have no dryness and cracking. And throats feels a lot better and looks slightly better. It looked best when I woke up but throughout the day it began to almost look the same as it has.

So note to self:
    Sleep A lot
    No animal for a while

PeteSake
    Participant

So a few things I’ve noticed.

-Eggs seem to be useful for a food item but it’s quite tempting to eat too much into high cholesterol, plus I’m trying to cut animal protein for the moment.

-Anything with ‘unbound’ sugar tends to make thrush worse.

-high carb foods (buckwheat, seeds/nuts, oatbran, teff, etc.) cause my hands to dry brittle and crack

-started having hemp seeds which are low carb high protein and I believe they are working well.

-when I wake from sleep my thrush always seems 90% better and continues to get better through the day with fasting but by the time I eat something it flares up again badly.

-need to cut all know ‘instant unbound sugars’ for the moment. Focusing on plain salads with olive oil, some other veggies, and hemp seeds as a protein source.

-If I don’t see improvement then I should probably swap the hemp seeds for eggs again.

-I feel my dysbiosis is getting under control but the fight with oral thrush seems impossible to overcome

PeteSake
    Participant

*Oral Thrush Test*

I like to eat this porridge I make of hemp seeds, cinnamon, coconut oil, and xylitol. About a tsp-Tbsp xylitol.
    Today I went ahead and made the porridge as I usually do. Before I ate it I took a picture of my thrush, then took a picture about 5 minutes after eating and then again an hour later. After eating the porridge I also drank water, swishing, gargling, and rinsing all leftover residue. My thrush had significantly gotten worse, I’d say about 40% worse. 40% was overall, it didn’t seem to get much worse as the hour passed, more of an instant change. After some time had passed, I repeated the same procedure except this time I left out the xylitol. The pictures revealed no significant difference.

I think I may have concluded that xylitol can make an oral thrush issue worse.

PeteSake
    Participant

*Oral Thrush Test 2*

So after a few hours I duplicated the test from above but this time I used stevia in the place of xylitol.

Results concluded that stevia did not appear to alter oral thrush at all.

RiversTrini
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 10

Pete – Please keep up your efforts. Candida has yo yo effects. Enjoy the good days and when the bad days show up – keep thinking about the good days. I am in my 12-14 months of getting healthy. It all works. Patience is required which really reduces stress.

PeteSake
    Participant

Thank you for the kind and uplifting words, I really appreciate it.

PeteSake
    Participant

So I just went to the doctor and got another round of antibiotics, this time I plan to do it right.
    At the doctor they really seemed to do anything but diagnose candida. Anyways I’m scheduled for a whole host of test so maybe at least it will help me know how I’m functioning.

PeteSake
    Participant

So I’m noticing a few things…

1) I’m quite certain eggs are killing my thrush instantly after eating it. I don’t know what it is but after I eat eggs, even just plain hard boiled, my thrush looks less white and surface area shrinks.

2) Since I noticed that my thrush tends to die down with intermittent fasting I decide to try a slightly longer fast. And also I notice that upon waking up my thrush tends to appear at least about 80% healed, so I ate Friday, then slept, woke up and thrush looked about 80-90% better, then went all of Saturday not eating and slept and upon waking up Sunday my thrush appeared exactly the same as the previous day. This leads me to believe intermittent fasting is beneficial but nothing longer… with regards to thrush.

3) I’ve been on a very strict diet of veggies, healthy fats, and either eggs or hemp seeds for protein. Perhaps I’m passed stage 1 because my digestive Candida feels quite better but my thrush hasn’t gone down so I assume I am actually not.. however, I’ve come to find that when I add a more variety of food I not only feel better and have more energy but I tend to wake up with less thrush and seem to have less thrush throughout the day, namely when I’ve added raspberries and blueberries (in small quantities). My guess is it’s the immune system boost.

4) Since my diet has been so strict I’ve been in desperate need of calories so my main calories have been healthy oils. What I’ve come to find is that I think it is quite dangerous. By eating this way I feel my heart skip beats, feelings of high blood pressure and one day I noticed my veins, though popping out (because of weight loss) were really slim and small looking.
    By cutting the plant oils and upping other things, such as nuts and fruit I found I feel much better.

5) my cutting down of carbs has been making me extra tired, fatigued, and weak, and I’ve noticed I tend to drop things all the time.. on the other hand, as I increase carbs, my dry hands get worse, quite a dilemma but I think I should lean on the side of greater overall health by having the carbs.

Overall my impression is that my diet needs to be balanced as much as possible between healthy fats, proteins, raw fruits and veggies, seeds, nuts, and perhaps legumes.

However my overall dry hands have gotten much better.

Rodi
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 22

Hi Buddy,

Keep it up and you will definitely win 🙂
    I am also fghting yeast/bacterial infections.

I also have problem with a white coated tongue at the back, and my skin on the face and the scalp dries up very quickly if I eat something I shouldn’t .Quick suggestion, try going low foodmap for a bit.I’ve found out that broccoli makes me constipated and my dandruff breaks out after a few hours if i have some.After cutting it out my scalp, skin is getting clearer and more moisturized actually it hasnt been like that in a very long time and my hairloss has drastically decreased as well, I also go very low on carbs,and eat loads od organic chicken & eggs.Its taken me a very long time to pin this down, I have now lost around 40% of my hair in 2 years. I belived that broccoli can’t be harmful sobut now I know that some bacterias, yeast etc can feed on high FOODMAP food and I might actually have SIBO as well .Give it a go and maybe it will work for you too.. I am now doing an elimination diet as per one girls advoce on this forum and will try some oatbran soon.. so fingers crossed

Take care and good luck!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘My journey with Candida (PeteSake)’ is closed to new replies.